News:

Endorsement: "I would highly suggest that you steer clear of this website at all costs and disconnect yourself from all affiliation with those involved."

Main Menu

HIMEOBSGASM (a spin off of postergasm)

Started by Cain, May 16, 2008, 06:04:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trillian

hey, anybody know of a program I can use to make stencils?  There's a temporary wall around a building that's getting remodeled which has more or less become a graffiti wall.  I think it needs some HIMEOBS protection.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

You could probably make a pretty decent stencil just by printing onto a piece of paper, taping the paper to a piece of cardboard, and using an x-acto knife to cut out the pattern on the paper.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Quote from: trillian on August 19, 2008, 06:09:30 PM
hey, anybody know of a program I can use to make stencils?  There's a temporary wall around a building that's getting remodeled which has more or less become a graffiti wall.  I think it needs some HIMEOBS protection.

The cardboard off the backs of pads of paper is ideal for stencils.

Nigel's method is pretty good, but it's a bit easier IMO if you rub the back of the paper with pencil lead, tape it to the cardboard, trace the letters out, then remove the paper before you start cutting. You can also buy transfer paper for this purpose, but if you don't do stuff like this very often it might not be worth your while. It takes a few minutes to coat the area of the paper that will be traced with lead but makes it much less frustrating once you start x-actoing it out.

This can be scaled up (proportionally) when you go to print it. The stencil's power level would be over 9000 if you managed to do the hawk as well. Protip: 22 gauge wire is your friend.
8.5 x 11
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

trillian

ugh.  I might just stick to the lettering.  All those feathers are a bit intimidating.

Quote from: trillian on August 20, 2008, 02:26:42 AM
ugh.  I might just stick to the lettering.  All those feathers are a bit intimidating.

It's all good. This kind of detail work is not most people's forte. Though, most of the feathers are mere straight cuts where accidents can easily be repaired with a bit of wire and tape or elmer's glue.

If you have a big chunk of the day to kill the result will be quite rewarding.

Also, a metal ruler (they're pretty cheap) will further cut down on frustration, just make sure it has cork lining one side.

Shibboleet The Annihilator

I bet it's not as difficult as it looks, especially with Net's suggestions.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

OH GOD my business cards came today! It is so many business cards! I'll be leaving them under windshields and whatnot this evening.

I like the stencil idea, I might have to convert one of those flexible plastic cutting boards into a stencil.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Here they are:

Cainad (dec.)

I just HIMEOBSGASM'd all over my keyboard at the sight of those!

BADGE OF HONOR

The Jerk On Bike rolled his eyes and tossed the waffle back over his shoulder--before it struck the ground, a stout, disconcertingly monkey-like dog sprang into the air and snatched it, and began to masticate it--literally--for the sound it made was like a homonculus squatting on the floor muttering "masticate masticate masticate".

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Cain

Awesome.

Later today, I'm going to try and see if I can render some of the old propaganda more print friendly with GIMP or something.  You know, make them black and white, or use the Script-Fu so it looks like the background is a drawn scene or whatever...

10 x 3 inch PDF

I'm not sure if they ship outside the US, but makestickers.com makes small batches of these as bumper stickers. Here is a link to their file upload page. Make sure you specify 10 x 3 inch and black and white very carefully, if you go through a print company (which I recommend because bumper stickers are tough).

I'll tell you how the 20 I ordered turned out in a week or two.