News:

PD may suddenly accelerate to dangerous speeds.  If PD splits open, do not look directly at resulting goo.  PD is still legal in 14 states.

Main Menu

I used to be happy...

Started by FedbeeeF, December 27, 2007, 08:51:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reginald Ret

Quote from: nostalgicBadger on February 28, 2008, 02:00:41 PM

you do not convert to Discordianism, but you are born a Discordian.

bit of a false dichotomy there, the nature/nurture one. Besides if discordianism is the way of thinking that you were born with i'm really impressed, cause most humans can't think until they are at least a year old(totally guessing at the exact time but you aren't born capable of thought).
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: FedbeeeF on December 27, 2007, 08:51:49 PM
Until I read this:

QuoteNews: Just 'cause this is a Discordian board doesn't mean we eat up dada bullshit

:emo:

Boo hoo fucking hoo.

Go hang out with the Myspace Discordians, then.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

It seems to me that there is some confusion with people trying to define Discordianism as a belief system when, in my mind, it serves more accurately as a name for a certain type of thought pattern. The common factor among all Discordians, regardless of whether you eat up dada bullshit or practice chaos magic or what have you, is that we all believe what we choose to believe because we choose to believe it, not because it's "good" or "right" to society or to anybody else. Ergo, two Discordians may have entirely different belief systems, but both will have chosen those systems on their own, by their own reasoning, and are likely to give them up in favor of new ones the moment maintaining the old ones becomes impractical.

Discordianism, I think, is not like other religions - you do not convert to Discordianism, but you are born a Discordian. Those crazy bastards who wrote the Principia Discordia weren't creating anything, they merely gave it a name.

RUBBISH!

"Bob" preserve us from Calvinist Discordians.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

People are capable of thought from before birth, but they're not really capable of philosophical thought.

I think a lot of people are Discordians before they discover Discordianism, but that's because they have learned and/or developed a philosophy that is essentially Discordian already, and then when they encounter Discordianism it feels "right" to them.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Iason Ouabache

you do not convert to Discordianism, but you are born a Discordian.
Discordians are forged in the fires of mental instability and militant subjectivism. Alcohol seems to help too.

Quote from: Regret on March 30, 2008, 11:33:43 AM
cause most humans can't think until they are at least a year old(totally guessing at the exact time but you aren't born capable of thought).
I'd say that you are at least 20 years off there.

Quote from: Nigel on March 30, 2008, 07:42:31 PM
I think a lot of people are Discordians before they discover Discordianism, but that's because they have learned and/or developed a philosophy that is essentially Discordian already, and then when they encounter Discordianism it feels "right" to them.
I've noticed this a lot too.  I find that when I read a lot of Discordian lit. that it feels like it's stuff I already "knew" but didn't "know" that I "knew".  If that makes sense.
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

Triple Zero

Quote from: Nigel on March 30, 2008, 07:42:31 PMPeople are capable of thought from before birth

[citation needed]

at least, depends on what you count as "thought", but until the first year, a person may go through a couple of false starts / "reboots", making whatever they thought before that pretty much irrelevant.

but this is not really the point of the argument, so never mind.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

LMNO

Not to get too theological here, but the addage "Everyone is a Discordian*, whether they know it or not" seems to imply that even if they don't know about Discordia, they will still behave according to Discordian principles: The Eristic/Aneristic Illusions, Law of Fives, etc.

Or to put it another way, "we're all in Prison, even if some can't see the bars."

*Except TGRR.

Cain

Or we just think they are, because of the totalizing nature of those ideas, which we interpret through the Law of Fives etc

LMNO

Either way, Discordians are obvioulsy a superior class of entity.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

hooplala

Can't read that much at work: what's the gist?
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Triple Zero

it talks about an experiment showing that newborn babies remember their mother's voice when just out of the womb and that they can perform simple conditioned tasks like pavlov's dogs or lab rats.

if you count that as "thought", i totally stand corrected.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

hooplala

"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Vene

Quote from: triple zero on March 31, 2008, 06:00:23 PM
it talks about an experiment showing that newborn babies remember their mother's voice when just out of the womb and that they can perform simple conditioned tasks like pavlov's dogs or lab rats.

if you count that as "thought", i totally stand corrected.
It depends on if you think brain activity is thought.

LMNO