News:

Your innocence proves nothing.

Main Menu

23 enigma solved.

Started by prof, December 28, 2007, 07:05:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

prof

Hello, I am a professor of mathematics and I am here to tell you that there is nothing at all to this 23 business.  Though the mysticism surrounding this theory dates back as far as 1013, in the writings of the Abbott of Durrow upon Essex, these ideals were firmly put down in the extensive exploration of mystical numbers in the voluminous works of Aldus Linnaeus Carolus III in 1593 after five years of exhaustive study.  Published in seventeen chapters in five subsections in a single volume, the number 23 phenomenon was dealt with in at least three different places in two of the chapters.  In chapter three, paragraph seven, he begins a long diatribe on the relative occurrence of twos, threes and fives and various combinations thereof in comparison to three other numbers, randomly chosen, and their relative combinations. Using the historical records kept by the monks of Westminster Abbey of a period of one hundred years prior to the publishing date of the book he combined numbers found in significant dates using multiplication, division, addition, subtraction, as well as exponents and squares to determine whether or not there was a preponderance of occurrences of the 23 set over the control set.  After finding no special occurrences he repeated the experiment with four more sets, checking his computations two times.

The conclusion was that there was no significance to the number 23 at all.  Aldus found it interesting that the more intriguing irrational numbers that were found to be constants in geometry and nature, such pi and phi  (consider many later constants used in physics) were largely overlooked in the various mystical numbers revered.

Aldus held the position of Master of Mathematics at Trinity College for 46 years.  His findings were controversial and ultimately divided the department in half.

Further studies into the occult of numerology also proved fruitless from any mathematical or scientific standpoint.  However, the occult in general became quite fashionable amongst the aristocracy of Europe in the 19th century.  Though many books were written on the subject in the last four decades of the nineteenth century, about two thirds of the books reviewed contained no scientific data whatsoever.  Of the books that tried to provide scientific backing for claims of extra-ordinary numbers, none came close to making a compelling argument that any set of numbers had any greater importance in physics, math, or history than any other, as compared to a control set of randomly chosen numbers (Jenson 1904).  Growth patterns in nature did show a generalized relationship to phi, one half plus the  square root of 5 divided by 2 (or 1.618), however it was not locally true, in that any precise measurement of an organic material would give you an incorrect answer for phi-- it was seen as an ideal state of growth, first by the Greeks. 

A fundamental tenet of discordianism holds true however:  if you look for it, you will find it.  However, according to studies referenced, one could say the same about any set of numbers chosen.  The other conclusion arrived at through this study is the fact that if you can think of it, it can become a religion.

Xooxe

:sadbanana: Damn, I'd better tell the others.

QuoteThe other conclusion arrived at through this study is the fact that if you can think of it, it can become a religion.

That's already a religion. Study needs revision to close loop.

LMNO

Either the alts have started to grow again, or prof is light years ahead of the more recent First Posts.

Xooxe

Cain

Damn, only 20 times as wordy as Lord Omar.

Either way, welcome.  If you look around, you'll notice most of us are hardly numerologists.

LMNO

What I find amusing is that the Law of Fives was essentially disproven as it was being written.  PD, page 16 -- Omar:  "I find the Law of Fives to be more and more manifest the harder I look."

Xooxe

Damn, even that shitty film of the same double digit number came to that conclusion.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: LMNO on December 28, 2007, 02:01:12 PM
What I find amusing is that the Law of Fives was essentially disproven as it was being written.  PD, page 16 -- Omar:  "I find the Law of Fives to be more and more manifest the harder I look."

I think that was intentional. It doesn't disprove the Law, it exemplifies the Law. ;-)
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

LMNO

Of course it was intentional.  There's that "unwritten" part of the law that was explained in Illuminatus!.

Quote from: RAW the HackBut you have to understand it more deeply now, Joe. Correctly formulated, the Law is: All phenomena are directly or indirectly related to the number five, and this relationship can always be demonstrated, given enough ingenuity on the part of the demonstrator." The evil grin flashed. "That's the very model of what a true scientific law must always be: a statement about how the human mind relates to the cosmos. We can never make a statement about the cosmos itself— but only about how our senses (or our instruments) detect it, and about how our codes and languages symbolize it."

The OP said that the 23 enigma was merely the ability of the human mind to find patterns.  That isn't really an enigma, as the Law of Fives clearly states just that. 

hooplala

Quote from: LMNO on December 28, 2007, 02:01:12 PM

How is that disproved?
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

LMNO

Because it's written as the Law of Fives, not the Law of anything you pay extra attention to.

Hey!  Check it out!  We're talking about both the Principia and Illuminatus!  Someone alert that dude that is disappointed!

Cramulus

semantics aside, Bravo Prof.

If you stick around, I sense the two of us will experience a nominal confusion.  :mrgreen:

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: LMNO on December 28, 2007, 03:45:28 PM
Of course it was intentional.  There's that "unwritten" part of the law that was explained in Illuminatus!.

Quote from: RAW the HackBut you have to understand it more deeply now, Joe. Correctly formulated, the Law is: All phenomena are directly or indirectly related to the number five, and this relationship can always be demonstrated, given enough ingenuity on the part of the demonstrator." The evil grin flashed. "That's the very model of what a true scientific law must always be: a statement about how the human mind relates to the cosmos. We can never make a statement about the cosmos itself— but only about how our senses (or our instruments) detect it, and about how our codes and languages symbolize it."

The OP said that the 23 enigma was merely the ability of the human mind to find patterns.  That isn't really an enigma, as the Law of Fives clearly states just that. 

Right... well almost.

There is an enigma. The enigma is pervasive, all-encompassing and immutable. The 23 Enigma is simply a documented, observed and memetic example of the enigma itself. We could call it the Thinker/Prover Enigma or  the Cosmic Schmuck Enigma... but neither of those so clearly demonstrate the point as a well crafted 23 Enigma CoN.

It's more than "the ability" to find patterns. Starbucks Myth and the Law of Fives gives us that... the 23 Enigma, is a darker truth. We are, mosbunall of us, more easily CoN'd than we want to believe.  Our brains actively trick us, even if we aren't actively trying to play games (such as with the Law of Fives). The 23 enigma is the Manifestation of a Most Infernal Chorus of Demons, one that plagues Scientists, Rationalists, Fundamentalists, Philosophers and Every Sort of Man/Woman/Kai (*sniffle* I miss Kai).

The Demon Assumael, The Demon Patternael , The Demon Beliefael and their ArchDemon Lord Perceptael. They are the cause of the 23 enigma. They are the enemy of humans everywhere and the True Gods of "Believers".

In some sense....

LMNO

Heh.  Ok, I can get behind that.  I'm in a bit of a Crowlean mood today, anyway.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: LMNO on December 28, 2007, 04:38:40 PM
Heh.  Ok, I can get behind that.  I'm in a bit of a Crowlean mood today, anyway.

LOL, I just finished ""The Key To Solomon's Key" and have been playing with that Solomonic Magic for the past couple weeks... it can be a great way to model stuff, in some sense.