News:

And if you've misplaced your penis, never fear. This forum is full of dicks.

Main Menu

Absinthe Recipes?

Started by Thalass, January 03, 2008, 05:32:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thalass

Hey folks, I have a bottle of the green stuff on my shelf that I haven't touched for a year, I bought it last xmas and tried the traditional sugarcube + cold water recipe, but it didn't do much for me.

I was wondering if there were other ones people knew? I did some experimentation and found out that cold lemonade doesn't make a good substitute for sugar and cold water. Yech!

Bu🤠ns

you see the thing of it is i can't recommend adulterating the taste of the stuff.  call me a purist, i dunno.  if i must recommend ANYTHING i'd suggest absinthe over ice mixed with cold water...to get that green milky effect.

what brand, btw?

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I can't imagine anything mixing well with it. Absinthe, sugar, water, a couple of ice cubes... and if you don't like the taste of anise, you're fucked.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Bu🤠ns

Quote from: Nigel on January 03, 2008, 07:42:09 AM
I can't imagine anything mixing well with it. Absinthe, sugar, water, a couple of ice cubes... and if you don't like the taste of anise, you're fucked.

that basicly sums it up.  i suggest you learn to like the taste if for anything the buzz is pretty nice and mellow. also  for anyone interested in the US i was actually able to receive 2 bottles in the mail from this distributer:

http://www.spiritscorner.com/ing/index.html

they used discreet packaging.   :mrgreen:

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

My regular supplier is running off to grad school soon so I was thinking about buying a still and trying my hand at it.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Triple Zero

sorry, absinthe tastes horrible, nothing you can do about it.

i should probably post "bloody mary with absinthe" in that other thread. it's the sort of bad idea you get from drinking some absinthe and bloody mary's, deciding that absinthe is horrible and then trying to fix it.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Richter

Quote from: Thalass on January 03, 2008, 05:32:18 AM
I was wondering if there were other ones people knew? I did some experimentation and found out that cold lemonade doesn't make a good substitute for sugar and cold water. Yech!

I've yet to start mixing anything with the absinthe I have, not sure that I will either.
I do occasionally let anise and other spices soak in voda for a more anise flavored drink.  This mixes well with a small amount of barenjager or drambuie.  It's good drunk straight or mixed with hot tea, and comes off simialr to Jagermeister, except less sweet.

Might work with your absinthe too, let us know if you try it!

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Absinthe might mix well with milk or cream and some simple syrup. I kind of doubt it, but it might be worth a try.

LMNO

Guys, come on-- it's like scotch.  You either like it, or you don't. 

Don't go trying to mask the flavor that the distillers took so much time to make, just drink something else.

Triple Zero

Quote from: LMNO on January 03, 2008, 08:51:44 PM
Guys, come on-- it's like scotch urine midget granny seqkxs.  You either like it, or you don't. 

Don't go trying to mask the flavor that the distillers took so much time to make, just drink something else.

fixd
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

Sir Squid Diddimus

Quote from: triple zero on January 03, 2008, 09:14:09 PM
Guys, come on-- it's like scotch urine midget granny seqkxs.  You either like it, or you don't. 

fixd
:lulz:

Suu

I happen to like Sambuca...a lot...so I like Absinthe, as I found out this past week.

If you don't like it, like LMNO said, oops, you spent $50 on a bottle of fine liquor and don't like it...shit happens so try something else.. Also. don't pick up the stuff and expect to trip balls off of it, because you won't. Consider it a heightened sense of awareness, not LCD in alcohol form.

Even if you painstakingly import it all shady like, you're not getting liquor that's any stronger than what it should be.

Besides, its legal to purchase in the states now, dopes.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Triple Zero

now i had absinthe a few times, and i thought the flavour was a lot more like vermouth than anise flavoured drinks such as sambucca and ouzo?

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Guys, come on-- it's like scotch.  You either like it, or you don't. 

Srsly

Darth Cupcake

Quote from: triple zero on January 04, 2008, 09:25:21 PM
now i had absinthe a few times, and i thought the flavour was a lot more like vermouth than anise flavoured drinks such as sambucca and ouzo?

I've heard of people using absinthe instead of vermouth in martinis. Would that work?
Be the trouble you want to see in the world.