News:

The End of the World is Coming, and YOU MAY DIE

Main Menu

Tzatziki and burger wrap

Started by Faust, January 04, 2008, 01:05:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faust

I got bored tonight so I wanted to eat something a bit healthier then my usual dinner so I made some Tzatziki and a burger and stuck it in a wrap.
Tzatziki is a yogurt/garlic sauce and is really easy to make and is fairly good for you.
for the meal you need

• a cucumber
  • thick plain yogurt(Greek style is what most places sell it as)
  • olive oil
  • garlic
  • any meat of your choice but the less juice/salt in it the better
  • a pita or a wrap of some kind but bread will do if you don't have any
  • vinegar(optional depending on taste)
How food make)

• skin the cucumber and then grate the inside into a bowl.
  • squeeze the bits until all the excess waste is gone
  • mix them into the yogurt
  • add a dash of olive oil, if you want you can also add a small amount of vinegar
  • mix again until it the oil is well absorbed
  • crush a garlic clove, you may only want half a clove if you are not a fan of garlic. if you dont have a crusher(like me) chop the clove into very tiny pieces
  • mix it into the yogurt and stir for a couple of minutes
  • you have to leave it stand for about 10-15 min in the fridge
  • cook whatever meat you want in the wrap, I used a burger on the grill till all the juice was gone out of it
  • warm pita/wrap/bread in oven/grill/toaster.
  • combine meat+pita+tzatziki and eat
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Richter

I think this is going to be dinner, much obliged!
Isn't this the sauce that gets put on gyros?
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Triple Zero

yeah. needs a littlebit of mint, though.

and, depending on how thick the skin of your cucumbers are, you might wanna consider just washing hem instead of skinning, before grating.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

AFK

This looks good.  I may give this one a try this weekend. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

LMNO

For extra thickness, line a sieve with cheesecloth placed over a bowl, and dump the yogurt into the sieve.  Let it sit in the fridge overnight.  Next day, discard excess liquid from the bowl.  The yogurt should be the consistency of a soft cheese.

Richter

I'm frying some falaffel to go with this all.
Now I just have to decide how to prep the chicken. 
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Triple Zero

falafel with chicken?

huh?

i thought it was a vegetarian dish, with fried chicken pea balls.
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

Richter

In our barbaric land, the small restraunts and stalls that sell middle eastern will sell you the aforementioned foods (whatever meat, falafel, tzatiki sauce) slapped into a pita with other stuff in a seemingly random order, the falafel being just another item in the wrap.  I have no idea how "authentic" this is, but it is tasty so I'd like to attempt. 

Triple Zero

over here you get a pita with a bunch of falafel balls in it, then you head off to the salad bar to fill it up with as much vegetables, hot sauce, garlic sauce, whatnot, stuff as possible.

i'm pretty sure that's not very authentic either.

but the falafel joints pride themselves on being vegetarian here, attracting a certain slice of the population etc .. at least, the ones i've seen. good possibility that, for example, in amsterdam they sell falafel with shoarma and call it doner.

hell, even when i was in turkey they sometimes got it wrong. doner means "turning" and kebab means "onna stick" (at least, so i've been told), referring to the big hunk of meat that's turning onna stick, little scraps are cut off.
but seemingly, you can call anything based on little bits of meat "doner", no matter if it's from a stick or if you're gonna put it in a pita, or whatever.

Richter

I think we're both farmilliar with the same animal, then.  The vegetarian aspect is available over here too, it's just part of the normal menu.

Darth Cupcake

Yeah, Americans just like to add meat.

For example, at a bar/restaurant place near me, you can get a veggie burger with chili (non-vegetarian) on it. Other places you can get a veggie burger with bacon. Fact: it's really tasty, because veggies are tasty, but so are meat products! They mix nicely! :wink:

And vegetarians also get highly miffed when they see it, which is worth some extra entertainment value.
Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

Triple Zero

i often used to make big cheeseburgers with veggie burgers when i had a vegetarian gf. worked really well.

i might even have added bacon to mine a few times.

the difference with veggie product and meat products is, IMO, that even the really good veggie products tend to get boring after eating it often, but a piece of good meat does not. still, i agree they're tasty, once in a while.

Suu

I actually enjoy a good veggie burger now and then...I just make sure I coat the bitch in delicious cheese.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Making things correct with the scientific power of cheese!

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Faust

Quote from: triple zero on January 04, 2008, 01:24:44 PM
yeah. needs a littlebit of mint, though.

and, depending on how thick the skin of your cucumbers are, you might wanna consider just washing hem instead of skinning, before grating.

I'm not a fan of mint(not even chocolate) but most people would probably prefer it with a small bit of mint.

our felafal place in town gives out to you if you ask for meat, thats the kebab or something. the veg stuff they fry as balls is really nice.
Sleepless nights at the chateau