News:

I hope she gets diverticulitis and all her poop kills her.

Main Menu

THE CANCER KILLING PDCOM - Blow-by-Blow Coverage of Democratic Primary Race

Started by tyrannosaurus vex, January 04, 2008, 06:15:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Suu

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right_to_bear_arms

In the United States, the meaning of "bear arms" is a matter of recent dispute and continuing political debate.[1][2] One argument is whether the expression involves the rights of the individual to 'bear arms' meaning to 'have arms', or whether it relates to a military service meaning of 'bear arms' as with the functioning and maintenance of a militia.[1]

In Rhode Island...we have a shitload of guardsmen.

in Alabama...:mullet:

It's the state's interpretation.

Edit: Further reading...The 2nd Amendment is the militia, the 9th is the arms for personal use, hunting/sport, etc.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Triple Zero

Quote from: Suu Fett on January 04, 2008, 08:44:39 PM
According to the Bill of Rights, we have the right to bear arms. LOL.

the quiz just asked about whether i think the rules for obtaining arms should be made more stringent or not.

i thought not, since you already have the right to bear arms, and that's not going to go away (even if it wasn't in the Bill of Rights, it would be like making pot illegal in the netherlands--not gonna work), making it more stringent would just give more advantage to criminals.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Suu

Criminals will get weapons whether it's legal or not. I don't think it will make a big difference.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Triple Zero

Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO on January 04, 2008, 08:50:13 PM
Quotehttp://According to the Bill of Rights, we have the right to bear arms. LOL.

It does?  I thought it gave the states a right to raise militias...

That's because you have a problem, apparently, with simple English.

The first clause justifies the second.  It does not modify or limit it.

Please call your 7th grade English teacher and chew her ass out for failing to teach you how to diagram a sentence.

Amendment 2
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the
right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Let's take a closer look.

Clause 1:

Amendment 2
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State,  (this is the intro clause, which explains why clause II exists.)

Clause 2:

the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed. (This is the declarative clause, which tells you what is being justified by clause 1).

Love that last phrase:

shall not be infringed.  Heh.  Shall not be touched upon.

I want my flamethrower, bitches.

Also, you will notice that nowhere does it say the state has the right to raise militias.  First of all the state has powers, the citizens have rights.  Second of all, it doesn't say shit about powers, but the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

So it doesn't have shit to do with the state.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: triple zero on January 04, 2008, 09:15:31 PM
Quote from: Suu Fett on January 04, 2008, 08:44:39 PM
According to the Bill of Rights, we have the right to bear arms. LOL.

the quiz just asked about whether i think the rules for obtaining arms should be made more stringent or not.

i thought not, since you already have the right to bear arms, and that's not going to go away (even if it wasn't in the Bill of Rights, it would be like making pot illegal in the netherlands--not gonna work), making it more stringent would just give more advantage to criminals.

It also violates the 2d amendment by "infringing" on the peoples' right to bear arms.

If you oppose gun ownership, you support the state as the final arbiter of your freedom.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Suu Fett on January 04, 2008, 09:00:29 PM

Edit: Further reading...The 2nd Amendment is the militia, the 9th is the arms for personal use, hunting/sport, etc.

Bullshit.  See above.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Fredfredly ⊂(◉‿◉)つ

i took a political test and it said im a 95% match for kucinich and gravel. does that make me a damned liberal hippie?

Sir Squid Diddimus

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Xooxe

DarkStar

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on January 04, 2008, 01:45:53 PM
Who won the Iowa caucases for the Dems in 04?  I don't remember but I'm pretty sure it wasn't Kerry.  I seem to recall it being Howard Dean.

New Hampshire will be interesting.  The voters there are more secular.  I think Huckabee will have a rough shot at winning there.  It'll probably be between Romney and McCain.  Romney has an advantage being a former Gov of neighboring Mass.  McCain has an advantage in that he won New Hampshire the last time he ran. 

On the Dems side.  I expect Hillary will probably do better but the win in Iowa may sway some undecideds in New Hampshire who let the Teevee make their decisions for them. 

I think if Hillary does badly, she just might be in trouble. 
Freedom should never be taken for granted.  When you give yours away, you give mine.  Fuck you.

DarkStar

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on January 04, 2008, 01:46:51 PM
Quote from: Cain on January 04, 2008, 01:38:29 PM
HUCKABEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

So, where did Ron Paul and Dennis Kunicichicchcichcichcih end up? Is it lolworthy to find out?

I read something somewhere that Kucinich told his supporters that if he didn't get enough votes in the first round that they should caucus for Edwards. 

Saw an interview with him.  He said for them to go to Obama. 
Freedom should never be taken for granted.  When you give yours away, you give mine.  Fuck you.