News:

All you can say in this site's defence is that it, rather than reality, occupies the warped minds of some of the planet's most twisted people; gods know what they would get up to if it wasn't here.  In these arguably insane times, any lessening or attenuation of madness is maybe something to be thankful for.

Main Menu

1958/9 - 2008/9

Started by Cain, January 06, 2008, 04:46:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: barumunk on January 11, 2008, 02:55:03 PM
its the goverments responcibility to recognise religions and beliefs.... its part of there responcibility

Ah, but is Discordianism a religious belief, a joke, an experiment set up by Leary, Wilson, Hill and Thornley or a philosophical position? Some say it is, some say it isn't and some just take a toke and laugh at the people arguing about how to categorize Chaos. For the government to recoginzie us, there would need to be a set of beliefs that 'were Discordian'. Since the very concept of this is anathema to most Discordians, I doubt it will ever happen. There have been attempts in the past to create Tax-Exempt Discordian Churches. Of course, these fell through, not because of the Government (who usually neds to be sort of agnostic on these issues), but because getting Discordians to do anything in sync for more than 4 or 5 days is quite possibly a miracle on par with splitting the Red Sea or feeding the multitudes on a few English Muffins and a box of Fishsticks.

Besides, why would we want to play their game with their rules? If Discordianism were to become an official religion, we would have official beliefs, we would have official places of worship, official leaders, official followers, official paperwork. Do you really want to play that game?! I SAY ICK!!!

If we're official, we're out of the dark corners, we're no longer slouching in shadows, waiting for a chance to spring our stuff on some unsuspecting cabbage. No, we would be out knocking on doors asking if the householder had read the words of Malaclypse and if they had put their faith in Eris.

Trust me, the less the government pays attention to us the better... the less our pranks are easily traced back to Discordia, the better.

That being said, would you be interested in helping spread some chaos? We have some projects coming up which you may find enjoyable  :fnord:

- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

hunter s.durden

This space for rent.

Cramulus

Quote from: Ratatosk on January 11, 2008, 05:50:24 PM
its the goverments responcibility to recognise religions and beliefs.... its part of there responcibility

Ah, but is Discordianism a religious belief, a joke, an experiment set up by Leary, Wilson, Hill and Thornley or a philosophical position? Some say it is, some say it isn't and some just take a toke and laugh at the people arguing about how to categorize Chaos. For the government to recoginzie us, there would need to be a set of beliefs that 'were Discordian'. Since the very concept of this is anathema to most Discordians, I doubt it will ever happen.

True that. We can't even get wikipedia editors to acknowledge us, let alone Uncle Sam. Which is probably for the best.

During one of our raids on some wiccan forum, Roger commented on the sad state of modern paganism - they want to be accepted by the mainstream so badly... it's pathetic.

I sure don't want to be grouped in with those spags. I sure don't want my religion to be treated as an equal to Christianity. But I sure as hell want my joke taken seriously.

QuoteThere have been attempts in the past to create Tax-Exempt Discordian Churches. Of course, these fell through, not because of the Government (who usually neds to be sort of agnostic on these issues), but because getting Discordians to do anything in sync for more than 4 or 5 days is quite possibly a miracle on par with splitting the Red Sea or feeding the multitudes on a few English Muffins and a box of Fishsticks.

true that. The only times I've seen Discordians united in anything was against AKK.

(Katchup: AKK was a guy who trolled this board rather successfully. Still can't tell if that makes him a saint or sinner. Around here, we treat him as utterly profane. lol.)

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Professor Cramulus on January 11, 2008, 08:45:31 PM
... Around here, we treat him as utterly profane. lol.

Which likely means that he's an Avatar of Eris.

AFK

Oh dear lord, whatever you do don't tell HIM that. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on January 11, 2008, 08:57:40 PM
Oh dear lord, whatever you do don't tell HIM that. 

HAHAHAHAH, well the beautiful thing about being her Avatar is that its circumstantial. One can be an Avatar in some sense and a Jackass in another sense and an Idiot in another sense.... ;-)

Jasper

Being an avatar of Eris probably does make you a jackassed idiot by default.

Cain

Being an avatar of Eris entitles you to +2 spell resistance on all items and spells carrying the chaotic descriptor, as well as immunity to confusion.

And nothing else.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

hunter s.durden

This space for rent.

barumunk

That being said, would you be interested in helping spread some chaos? We have some projects coming up which you may find enjoyable  :fnord:

That being said, i thoughrally enjoys that discussion. (and me not living int he US would really ensure it had no effect on me at all, BUT

I think that just the idea of the government (US or otherwise) havning to take the joke that is discordia seriously makes me chuckle :D

about helping out on "enjoyable projects", Most definitely!! im a graphic designer by trade if that helps? but anything is good.... im keen to get involved :D for the heck of it!

"For it is with the mysteries of our religion, as with wholesome pills for the sick, which swallowed whole, have the virtue to cure; but chewed, are for the most part cast up again without effect." Thomas Hobbes

I was always taught to chew everything before i swallow.

barumunk

Quote from: LMNO on January 11, 2008, 04:07:54 PM
It's not that I don't understand him, but Nigel and Rat agreed to handle these matters.

what matters be those?

sounds good :fnord: pm me

"For it is with the mysteries of our religion, as with wholesome pills for the sick, which swallowed whole, have the virtue to cure; but chewed, are for the most part cast up again without effect." Thomas Hobbes

I was always taught to chew everything before i swallow.

Triple Zero

Quote from: That One Guy on January 10, 2008, 02:25:47 PM
Here's a little sampler of the beauty that is Candlepin bowling:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RK1V6pIe53Y

well, this is wrong.

i like bowling.

it's not that i'm particularly good at it, but the point is, that if you get the ball all the way to the end without it getting into the gutter, the good thing is that you kind of nearly always knock over some cones.

also you get to wear funky shoes.

with small balls, this is simply not the case!
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

AFK

Naw, trust me, the shoes for candlepin are just as funky as ten-pin.  Also, a pretentious candlepin bowler might argue that the fact it is harder to knock down pins with a smaller ball means there's a little more skill invovled.

RWHN,
pretentious candepin bowler
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: triple zero on January 13, 2008, 05:53:32 PM

also you get to wear funky shoes.

with small balls, this is simply not the case!
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."