News:

PD.com: "a rather irritating form of hermetic terrorism".

Main Menu

Recruiting the unrecruited

Started by LMNO, January 07, 2008, 03:14:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pope Lecherous

FUCK it.  Let's show them THE WAY.  Brainwashing, preaching, telling them about the impending DOOM of GRAYNESS. other shenanigans.   If some douche christian can try to convert people, why cant we do it?  we can do it better and with more class because we have MOAR to offer.  We can sit passively as they gain numbers, or we can do some shit about it.  If we have to nudge people in the right direction, so be it.  If we have to push them with mindfucks or in some other manner... is it evil?
--- War to the knife, knife to the hilt.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Pope Lecherous on January 08, 2008, 12:20:49 AM
FUCK it.  Let's show them THE WAY.  Brainwashing, preaching, telling them about the impending DOOM of GRAYNESS. other shenanigans.   If some douche christian can try to convert people, why cant we do it?  we can do it better and with more class because we have MOAR to offer.  We can sit passively as they gain numbers, or we can do some shit about it.  If we have to nudge people in the right direction, so be it.  If we have to push them with mindfucks or in some other manner... is it evil?

Regardless of whether it's evil, evangelism is boring.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Pope Lecherous

No offense to whoever, but taking bits and pieces of religion is why mainstream religion and their followers are soo FUCKED UP.  When u halfass anything it usually is fucked up. 

For example this "RELIGIOUS" guy i work with used his religion to get out of a work related mandatory fun halloween party.  His basis was halloween is the devil and whatnot.  Meanwhile, not smoking, not drinking, and not having sex before marriage were the things he deemed were those "pieces" he wouldnt take away.  Picking and choosing the pieces that he likes makes him SUPER FUCKING AWESOME... yea my ass.

We dont have clearly established rules guidelines etc.  but we can give them what we know and what THEY need in the name of Discordja.

We have the right to go back and change our stance on anything pretty much.  Why not preach a little?
--- War to the knife, knife to the hilt.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO on January 07, 2008, 03:14:54 PM

The former seems to be the kind of person ripe for recruiting.  So, how do we present ourselves in order to appeal to these people?  Maybe the idea is to lure the ground troops in with Lulz, and then slowly reveal to them the Hideous Truths.

That's the most logical method.

Dunno if I can do it, though.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Cain

The way I see it, if people don't know about all the options, then they can't really make an informed choice.  By letting them know this place exists, we are aiding them in making their own minds up.

Triple Zero

Quote from: LMNO on January 07, 2008, 03:14:54 PMSo, I was thinking about what kind of person I was when I heard about the PD, and the kind of person I was now.

The person I was then was idealistic, optimistic, and always looking for a buzz or a good laugh.

The person I am now is more jaded, more "realpolitik", optimistic but cautious, borderline alcoholic with a gallows humor. 

by the way, the transition you describe here doesn't sound too attractive.

what would your idealistic optimistic self looking for a buzz or a laugh have said in response to "do you believe there is a true religion? it'll turn you into jaded, realpolitik, cautious borderline alcoholic with a gallows humor" ;-)
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

LMNO

Nothing, he'd be too busy getting high and dropping acid.

Then the current me would steal his wallet.

That One Guy

Quote from: Cain on January 08, 2008, 12:47:23 PM
The way I see it, if people don't know about all the options, then they can't really make an informed choice.  By letting them know this place exists, we are aiding them in making their own minds up.

Yeah. Which is why I understand the need for at least SOME advertising, no matter how much I detest it. I purposely expose myself to as many different kinds of things as I can run across to get as close to an informed choice as possible, and part of that is helped by advertising. That doesn't mean I like it though :/

Again, I'm not saying anyone shouldn't/can't preach, evangelize, advertise, whatever. I understand the need for it in order to spread information. I just personally have no intention of doing more than the bare minimum of informational advertising, and I always attempt to put as little opinion in what I advertise as possible. Had someone approached me regarding the PD I probably would have approached things totally differently. However, I found it on my own, so I was able to take those parts of it that I thought were important to me, rather than being told what parts other people found important (and by extension thought I should find important).

Even with the Bible, there are different passages that speak to different people. Does that make any one passage better to everyone than another? I would say no, but there are whole sects that exist solely because of that interpretation. If nothing else, I hope that whatever people do to recruit, the ability for the individual to take those parts that affect them personally (regardless of what others think of their choices) should be preserved. That includes the "ZOMG23pinealist" crowd, no matter what we think of that mindframe. They have the right to pick those parts of the PD that speak to them, just like we pick the parts of the PD that speak to us.
People of the United States! We are Unitarian Jihad! We can strike without warning. Pockets of reasonableness and harmony will appear as if from nowhere! Nice people will run the government again! There will be coffee and cookies in the Gandhi Room after the revolution.

Arguing with a Unitarian Universalist is like mud wrestling a pig. Pretty soon you realize the pig likes it.

Triple Zero

Quote from: LMNO on January 08, 2008, 02:28:41 PM

really?

if i were to meet my old self i wouldn't rip me off, i'd give me some advice. to start yoga asap, some decisions to make, people to avoid, girls to pay attention to and tell me to not worry about a bunch of things i'd otherwise worry about.

then i'd probably kick my ass and jade me.

and have sex with myself, naturally.
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

Cain

Well, the way we did it with MW and Wicca.com is we rolled up, started acting pretty much like we act here (well, at EB&G), threw in a few rants, and if anyone wanted to know where we came from, we dropped off the URL to them.  Personally, I think thats a very fair and honest way of going about it.

LMNO

Quote from: triple zero on January 08, 2008, 02:49:44 PM

really?

if i were to meet my old self i wouldn't rip me off, i'd give me some advice. to start yoga asap, some decisions to make, people to avoid, girls to pay attention to and tell me to not worry about a bunch of things i'd otherwise worry about.

I hope you know I'm purposefully being incredibly glib, here.

That One Guy

Quote from: Cain on January 08, 2008, 02:53:38 PM
Well, the way we did it with MW and Wicca.com is we rolled up, started acting pretty much like we act here (well, at EB&G), threw in a few rants, and if anyone wanted to know where we came from, we dropped off the URL to them.  Personally, I think thats a very fair and honest way of going about it.

I agree Cain. The "show by example" method is the one I use whenever possible myself as it requires the person to be interested of their own volition/choice to seek out more information. Which is probably going to get the best types of recruits regardless - ones that are capable of showing independent thought and acting on that thought/interest.
People of the United States! We are Unitarian Jihad! We can strike without warning. Pockets of reasonableness and harmony will appear as if from nowhere! Nice people will run the government again! There will be coffee and cookies in the Gandhi Room after the revolution.

Arguing with a Unitarian Universalist is like mud wrestling a pig. Pretty soon you realize the pig likes it.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: That One Guy on January 08, 2008, 02:47:18 PM
Quote from: Cain on January 08, 2008, 12:47:23 PM

Yeah. Which is why I understand the need for at least SOME advertising, no matter how much I detest it. I purposely expose myself to as many different kinds of things as I can run across to get as close to an informed choice as possible, and part of that is helped by advertising. That doesn't mean I like it though :/

Again, I'm not saying anyone shouldn't/can't preach, evangelize, advertise, whatever. I understand the need for it in order to spread information. I just personally have no intention of doing more than the bare minimum of informational advertising, and I always attempt to put as little opinion in what I advertise as possible. Had someone approached me regarding the PD I probably would have approached things totally differently. However, I found it on my own, so I was able to take those parts of it that I thought were important to me, rather than being told what parts other people found important (and by extension thought I should find important).

Even with the Bible, there are different passages that speak to different people. Does that make any one passage better to everyone than another? I would say no, but there are whole sects that exist solely because of that interpretation. If nothing else, I hope that whatever people do to recruit, the ability for the individual to take those parts that affect them personally (regardless of what others think of their choices) should be preserved. That includes the "ZOMG23pinealist" crowd, no matter what we think of that mindframe. They have the right to pick those parts of the PD that speak to them, just like we pick the parts of the PD that speak to us.

Well, I don't see our current game as interfering with the "ZOMG23pinealist" crowd and whatever interpretation of the PD they prefer. Recruitment, at least, as I understand it for this game, appears to me, as gathering the Children of Eris that are interested in Cyber'mindfuckery and a way to network IRL Cabals for IRL shenanigans. A Cabal may be POEE aligned, BiP aligned, RAW aligned, 23PinealFnord Aligned, Unaligned, DidALine ... that doesn't matter (or at least I hope not). In fact, I don't think any of this particular game is anti-any interpretation of discordianism... my focus, at least is more about getting people to quit arguing of their interpretation of the fucking map and start playing games, ordering and disordering for the greater glory of Our Lady of Discord (or not depending on your choice of metaphor).  :lulz:

MySpace Discordians, Pinealists, 23Fnord Spouting ChaoKids, etc etc etc all seem incredibly useful to me... the potential for mayhem increases with every actual body we can attract.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Triple Zero

Quote from: LMNO on January 08, 2008, 03:04:16 PM
Quote from: triple zero on January 08, 2008, 02:49:44 PM

really?

I hope you know I'm purposefully being incredibly glib, here.

yeah

i just mused over what would happen if i would meet my old me and stealing my wallet was one of the last things that came to mind :) :)

Darth Cupcake

I wouldn't steal my wallet, cause there's never anything worth stealing in it. :cry:

I'd probably punch myself in the face.

Quote from: Ratatosk on January 08, 2008, 03:10:08 PM
MySpace Discordians, Pinealists, 23Fnord Spouting ChaoKids, etc etc etc all seem incredibly useful to me... the potential for mayhem increases with every actual body we can attract.

I concur on this. I don't want to "convert" people, as it were, but I would be interested in building more of a.... network, I guess.
Be the trouble you want to see in the world.