News:

PD.com: "I'M MADDER THAN FISH GREASE!"

Main Menu

Recruiting the unrecruited

Started by LMNO, January 07, 2008, 03:14:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I am suggesting finding the interesting in what they post, pulling it out, and addressing it seriously in the hope of spawning an interesting dialogue.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Nigel on January 09, 2008, 08:17:12 PM
I am suggesting finding the interesting in what they post, pulling it out, and addressing it seriously in the hope of spawning an interesting dialogue.

Nicely put.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

LMNO

Quote from: Ratatosk on January 09, 2008, 08:23:34 PM

Nicely put.

Alright, you've both been hired as the welcome wagon.  Your job is to help the n00bs acclimate.

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Professor Cramulus on January 09, 2008, 04:48:23 PM

yeah but sometimes someone wants to discuss Illuminatus! or the PD, and people descend on him like he's an IDIOT for liking it. That doesn't help anybody, it just makes us sound like pricks.

Edited To Add: Chaos Magic too.

I agree with just about everything you've said on the subject, however...

I will continue to mercilessly mock anyone who says anything which implies that they take "chaos mhadjickque" seriously.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Cain

You could always direct such people to the few decent topics we've had on the subject.  I handily compiled 2 from POEE and EB&G into a interesting little dialogue here and it may give them something to think about.  After that, they probably deserve to be mocked, however.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LMNO on January 09, 2008, 08:24:43 PM

Nicely put.

Alright, you've both been hired as the welcome wagon.  Your job is to help the n00bs acclimate.

This will be interesting.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Cain on January 09, 2008, 10:20:27 PM
You could always direct such people to the few decent topics we've had on the subject.  I handily compiled 2 from POEE and EB&G into a interesting little dialogue here and it may give them something to think about.  After that, they probably deserve to be mocked, however.

I hate to be wasteful. I think it's more efficient to mock them right off the bat.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

hunter s.durden

Nicely put.

I'll help too.
This space for rent.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Nigel on January 09, 2008, 10:24:56 PM

Nicely put.

This will be interesting.

YeeHaw! We'll hitch up up the chickens and load up on the victuals., we gots us some wagonin' and welcomin' to do!

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Triple Zero

Quote from: LMNO on January 09, 2008, 04:42:57 PM
Ah!  But ah!

Some of us use the "fuck RAW, fuck the PD" exactly as a way to illuminate the n00bs.  "Don't believe anything you read" is supposed to apply to the PD as much as to the Bible.

It's the n00bs who get butthurt when they see their idols attacked.

well what i sometimes have noticed is like this:

- n00b says something about the PD, slightly too much pineal dada or about chaos magic
- somebody kindly points out that chaos magic is bullshit or some such
- n00b naturally defends her/himself, often badly, or with arguments that have been refuted a 1000 times before
- a number of different people (often no more than 2 or 3 at a time, but still) pile on the abuse, with cheap shots

i fully admit i have been guilty to this behaviour from time to time myself as well

i guess there's always *somebody* around with enough of a bad mood to hit on the n00bs? :)

while indeed, what cram said, sometimes somebody just wants to discuss it.

and what's more, possibly for a lot of us, discussion the PD has not a lot of merit anymore, but i think we still have a bunch of people that aren't quite jaded with it yet. how about the people that think it's boring ignore the boring bits, and the recent members talk with the n00bs about the PD?

the only thing is, sometimes the PD-discussing/pinealfnords/kaosmajiq turns into a new-age "can't we all be friends/nothing is true/reality/savethedolphins/setfreethebuffalos" hippiefest new age bullshitness. in that case, show no mercy.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

tyrannosaurus vex

problem is: 85% of noobs are carbon copies of each other. to them, they are all strong individuals. to us, it's hard not to see them as a single person who keeps coming back. each noob tends to receive harsher treatment than the previous one, especially when there's a week or two where it's nothing but new people.

but this argument about whether we're too harsh toward noobs in general is less important to me all the time. it is materially refuted by the fact that there once in a while there is a noob who comes in here and never once encounters any bullshit and is almost immediately accepted.

do we strain out some content with our pro-active approach to deterring bullshit? maybe. is it worth it, considering that this forum has been worth coming to for at least the past 2 years? yes. it's worth it.

so sorry, innocent victims.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

AFK

Or think of it this way.  AKK, Lamanite, MOC, etc., could all still be here.  Seems to me, even if you do weed out the occassional person who would've contributed (woulda, coulda, shoulda, etc.) it's worth it to be rid of the aforementioned distractions.  Cause seriously, when the AKK shit was flying, this place kinda sucked. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Triple Zero

Quote from: vexati0n on January 10, 2008, 06:38:41 PM
problem is: 85% of noobs are carbon copies of each other. to them, they are all strong individuals. to us, it's hard not to see them as a single person who keeps coming back. each noob tends to receive harsher treatment than the previous one, especially when there's a week or two where it's nothing but new people.

but this argument about whether we're too harsh toward noobs in general is less important to me all the time. it is materially refuted by the fact that there once in a while there is a noob who comes in here and never once encounters any bullshit and is almost immediately accepted.

do we strain out some content with our pro-active approach to deterring bullshit? maybe. is it worth it, considering that this forum has been worth coming to for at least the past 2 years? yes. it's worth it.

so sorry, innocent victims.

i also agree with this.

although it's a bit elitary.

but meh

also, Nigel's idea about actively engaging the n00bs and see if they got something interesting to say sounds like a very fun plan. i'll join the welcome wagon, if you don't mind.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

LMNO

Not to sound harsh, 000, but I don't really see you welcoming n00bs with open arms,

truth is, when one of the Ye Oldes actually engage a N00b, the rest seem to back off a bit.

Unless they're a schmuck.  Which the sometimes (often) are.

So, DIY, lead by example, et al.