News:

I know you said that you wouldn't tolerate excuses, but I have a real good one.

Main Menu

Which of these (or some other tome you want to mention) blew you away the most?

Started by Apikoros II, January 08, 2008, 01:06:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Apikoros II

Well Diddle me for being noob, as I see we already HAVE like, a library section and a book thread and a what are you reading thread and a Apikoros, read the fucking board first thread. Man, I really am tired.
I also believe that everything is false, even that statement and the one above it. Also, when you look into the abyss the abyss looks into you. Heck, the abyss sometimes winks and once it gave me the finger.

Cramulus

Quote from: Apikoros II on January 09, 2008, 02:04:07 AM
Prof Cramulus, you really like Hamilton's translations? When it comes to Myth, give me Campbell anyday.

I liked 'em because they were my first brush with a lot of Greek Mythology. You know how people are about their first loves.

I also love Campbell's commentary and analysis of mythology, but didn't know he authored any translations.

Fredfredly ⊂(◉‿◉)つ

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Eve

Emotionally crippled narcissist.

LMNO

Jasper

Quote from: Anonymously Evil on January 09, 2008, 08:42:59 AM
Orson Scott Card (Ender's Game) got me started, ironically.

The trilogy or the first one?  I just can't help but think the first one was just plain old great sci-fi.

Eve

Quote from: Felix on January 10, 2008, 03:19:48 AM
Quote from: Anonymously Evil on January 09, 2008, 08:42:59 AM
Orson Scott Card (Ender's Game) got me started, ironically.

The trilogy or the first one?  I just can't help but think the first one was just plain old great sci-fi.

The first one is definitely plain old great sci-fi. The whole series got me thinking, but EG is what really stuck with me.
Emotionally crippled narcissist.

Jasper

It's a lot of fun to read, and inspired a lot of RPG material in my youth.

Cainad (dec.)

Oh geez, I forgot to mention The Prince of Nothing trilogy by R. Scott Bakker. Those books got my brain gears turning like no other before it.

Jasper

I'm just now getting into The Meditations Of Marcus Aurelius, which represents Stoicism very well so far.  It's rational, clear, and just the thing for practically dealing with uncertainty.

Cain

The Stoics are pretty cool.

I gave that to a friend for her birthday, actually.  Highly recommended, a fascinating read.

Jasper

Agrippa

In my teens i liked Liber Null and Psychonaut.
It was a good start.

One of the recent ones is Influence or the power of influence by Caldini

Pvt Conrad

I heard of a crazy man somewhere in New York who found some golden tablets written by God! If that were true, it would blow my mind. As it is, fighting the North gives me no time for any intellectual pursuit not directly related to improving my country's chances of survival -- and so we have all been studying a book on the military prowess of a man named Nero.

Fiddles,

Pvt. Conrad