News:

You're miserable, edgy and tired. You're in the perfect mood for PD.com.

Main Menu

Which of these (or some other tome you want to mention) blew you away the most?

Started by Apikoros II, January 08, 2008, 01:06:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

Someone mentioned Gary Gygax, and while I dont have the first editon rules, I thought the second edition would go down well.

As for magick....blargh, practically everything I read on it looks like bullshit to me.  Carl Jung is probably the only person worth reading if you want a psychological take on similar topics, the rest seem to be engaged in metaphysical masturbation.

DORADA

barumunk

Lifetide, Gift of Unknown Things, and The Romeo Error... all by Lyle Watson

:fap: :fap: :fap: :fap: :fap: :fap:

and Sophie's World (I really dug it, twas my introduction/crash-course in philosophy)

"For it is with the mysteries of our religion, as with wholesome pills for the sick, which swallowed whole, have the virtue to cure; but chewed, are for the most part cast up again without effect." Thomas Hobbes

I was always taught to chew everything before i swallow.

Cain

Quote from: DORADA on February 25, 2008, 09:36:49 AM
:lulz:first read the book please

1st ed. D&D?

Why?

Will it help me complete Neverwinter Nights faster?

barumunk

Quote from: Cain on February 25, 2008, 05:13:49 PM

1st ed. D&D?

Why?

hahahaha not likely that game was pooh. and im not sure how else it could have been an enlightening read :D

"For it is with the mysteries of our religion, as with wholesome pills for the sick, which swallowed whole, have the virtue to cure; but chewed, are for the most part cast up again without effect." Thomas Hobbes

I was always taught to chew everything before i swallow.

the other anonymous

Quote from: Cain on February 23, 2008, 03:25:14 PM
Wait...Silver Ravenwolf?

I'm genuinely curious about what you got out of her, given the general consensus in the srs Pagan community is to despise her and everything she does.

QuoteYou see, not only did I learn that all religions are mythical, but I learned that all myths are religical. Then I learned I could roll my own. Then I learned it was all shit anyway. And then I learned to love playing in the shit.

Also, that consensus adds to the part about "it was all shit anyway".

-toa,
tried them all on, none fitted

Cain

Sounds fair to me, even if I don't exactly know what you mean by reglical.

LMNO

I think it's just a clever-ish play on "magical".

What I think he's saying is that Religion contains elements of Myth, and that Myth constains elements of Religion.

Hence, if you have a big enough of a Myth, you can form a Religion around it.  See Beatles, Elvis, Scientology, et al.

Cain

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Cain on February 25, 2008, 05:13:49 PM

1st ed. D&D?

Why?

NWN is based on 3rd Edition rules:
www.opengamingfoundation.org/srd.html

However, the rules won't help you... NWN's base stories are just something ya gotta slag through. Now, once you start playing in the online worlds stuff gets much more interesting. ;-)
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Cain

Sorry, I'm too busy profiteering from the crisis.

I'm actually sabotaging any attempt to compete the game, and instead am going round extorting money from people and assassinating guards.  And that fucker Desther is gonna get a smack in the gob soon.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Cain on March 03, 2008, 03:58:07 PM
Sorry, I'm too busy profiteering from the crisis.

I'm actually sabotaging any attempt to compete the game, and instead am going round extorting money from people and assassinating guards.  And that fucker Desther is gonna get a smack in the gob soon.

Ehehehe, that's what my evil Gnome Sorcerer did ;-)

Watch killing innocent children though... I pissed off some little girl and she killed my henchman... and almost killed me.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

aestetix

Quote from: Cain on February 23, 2008, 04:12:40 PM
OK, uploads of books I have.

Includes:

The PD
Illuminatus! Trilogy
Prometheus Rising
Beneath Reality
Godel, Escher, Bach
The Temporary Autononmous Zone/Broadsheets on Ontological Chaos
The Book of Law
The Book of Lies/Liber 333
Liber ABA/Book 4
The Hero With A Thousand Faces
Apocrypha Discordia
AD&D Complete Second Edition
Beyond Good and Evil
The Book of 5 Rings
The Spy Who Came in From the Cold (cant find my e-copy of A Perfect Spy)
Oven Ready Chaos (instead of Prime Chaos, again couldn't find)
The Teachings of Don Juan
Fight Club
Ender's Game
Liber Null
Bhagavad Gita
Simulacra and Simulations
HHGTTG

I dont have the rest.  Upload here: http://www.mediafire.com/?16yyecshjnm

From what I can tell, that's a pretty good list.

I was a bit disappointed by Prometheus Rising, but only because I'd already encountered all the ideas in other places before. It's great to see Godel Escher Bach too... one of my favorites.

I'm kind of surprised nobody has mentioned Atlas Shrugged or the Fountainhead. Or, as a newcomer to this forum, am I simply missing past hooplah about the Randroids? Especially given that around 1/4 of Illuminatus Trilogy is devoted to making fun of Ayn Rand (Telemachus Sneezed, anyone?).

Are we aiming for destruction of childish illusionment (normally Orwell, Rand, maybe Robert Pirsig) or tomes that actually worked to reconstruct public thought into new ideas? Campbell's work (Hero's Journey, etc) is fantastic. I'd also suggest Descartes' Discourse on Method as a useful tool for bullshit filtering.

Years ago, Kuro5hin (k5) had a couple of stories related to this, although they were more "what books have been influential in your life" while I suspect this is more "what books have been influential in your exploration of Discordianism".

Doktor Loki

It really was the SubGenius stuff that did it.  The Principia was a good laugh, and it made me think.
BotSG made me stop thinking, and start KNOWING.
Not a Doctor?  Why, of course I'm a Doctor!  Why else would I have this scalpel?      ~Doctor Mad

"He that hath a beard is more than a youth, and he that hath no beard is less than a man."
- William Shakespeare

"If you hear crazy voices in your head which tell you to do something, even something evil, YOU'D BETTER FUCKING DO IT BECAUSE IT MIGHT BE GOD." - Soren Keirkegaard

hooplala

Quote from: aestetix on March 03, 2008, 09:31:12 PM
I'm kind of surprised nobody has mentioned Atlas Shrugged or the Fountainhead.

:|

Quote from: aestetix on March 03, 2008, 09:31:12 PMOr, as a newcomer to this forum, am I simply missing past hooplah about the Randroids? Especially given that around 1/4 of Illuminatus Trilogy is devoted to making fun of Ayn Rand (Telemachus Sneezed, anyone?).

Hoopla is not spelled with two H's.  Anywhere.  Just saying.

Second, I personally find Ayn Rand distasteful, if somewhat hilarious.   Actually, Objectivism is hilarious, and Ayn was something special.  She believed there were Universal Morals, which could be found through Pure Reason, which applied to everyone, except her of course.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman