Which of these (or some other tome you want to mention) blew you away the most?

Started by Apikoros II, January 08, 2008, 01:06:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Apikoros II

My illumination in Eris and Discordianism came first through the Illuminatus Trilogy, then the Principia Discordia and then Zen Without Zen Masters. Out of all 3, I love them in that order the most. In fact, I read the Trilogy as if it was Science Fiction/Cult Classic and nothing else.... and it blew my mind... and led me to other things... How bout you? BTW, if someone already asked this question, bugger you, as I am asking it again.
I also believe that everything is false, even that statement and the one above it. Also, when you look into the abyss the abyss looks into you. Heck, the abyss sometimes winks and once it gave me the finger.

LMNO

hunter s.durden

This space for rent.

LMNO

Cain

Triple Zero

the illuminatus 3, goedel escher bach and the internet (esp the self liberators digest).

in the reverse order.

ETA: also some book called "Complexity: On the edge of chaos", taught me most of what i know about chaos theory/catastrophe theory. actually, if i hadn't read this book, i wouldn't have believed one single word of the Black Swan (because of the shoddy/false examples in that book, it's kinda like the parable of the sacred bull, i had to rely on my own knowledge to figure out what's true heh)
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

AFK

The only one of the books from the OP I've read is the PD.  The SJGames version.  I'm in the minority around here as that I really don't read a lot of books.  It's mostly an issue of not having sufficient down time to get involved in a book.  I tend to use that time with the family and playing music. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

I first read the PD (because my sneaky girlfriend left it "laying around" conspicuously... particularly whenever I was stoned. I read it and nearly poked my third eye out due to the convulsive laughter. From there I read Illuminatus!, Prometheus Rising, Quantum Psychology, Cosmic Trigger, Temporary Autonomous Zones, Masks of The Illuminati, Historical Illuminatus Chronicles, Coincidance, Island (Huxley), Illusions, Book Four, Book of the Law, Book of Lies, The Hero with a Thousand Faces, InfoPsychology... and I haven't stopped yet ;-)

- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Jasper

I found Speaker For The Dead more enlightening than PD.  Also: Man And His Symbols, Evil Genes, anything by Bucky Fuller, and the Transmetropolitan comics series.

Apikoros II

Nice, we seem to be a well read group... Ever read anything by Charles Fort? I can't seem to find anything in print... Also, he is listed as a Childrens/Yound Adult author, but Daniel Pinkwater's books are FILLED with things that I can only call Discordian. Plus they are wicked funny...
I also believe that everything is false, even that statement and the one above it. Also, when you look into the abyss the abyss looks into you. Heck, the abyss sometimes winks and once it gave me the finger.

Jasper

Fort is new to me, maybe I'll remember to look him up.

I've always been a libriophile, until I realized I'm an infotweaker.

Triple Zero

Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

LMNO

Quote from: Felix on January 08, 2008, 05:11:56 PM
I found Speaker For The Dead more enlightening than PD.  Also: Man And His Symbols, Evil Genes, anything by Bucky Fuller, and the Transmetropolitan comics series.

You actually found the dullest book of the trilogy to be the most enlightening?

Jasper

Yes, because it dealt with more intellectual and metaphysical matters than "Kids In Space!"

LMNO

Which matters?  The half-assed Jungian cloning, or whether a virus is alive?