News:

The only BEARFORCE1 slashfic forum on the Internet.  Fortunately.

Main Menu

Which of these (or some other tome you want to mention) blew you away the most?

Started by Apikoros II, January 08, 2008, 01:06:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dysfunctional Cunt

Quote from: Cain on January 24, 2008, 02:50:37 PM
From the little I've seen (extracts really) Kerr Culhain seems to know what he is talking about.  Good book?

Actually I thoroughly enjoyed it.  I have recommended it many times to friends and family!  There are a few places where I was just 'thanks but uh NO' but in all it was a good book!  I have found men seem to get it more than women, a very masculine point of view on stuff!  Not a lot of fluff, very to the point yanno?

Jasper

I'm almost through "Patterns On The Stone".  It's cool.

Oh, and I'm about to gobble up several gigs of Nikola Tesla and elec eng documents.

Cain

Quote from: Khara on January 24, 2008, 04:09:08 PM
Quote from: Cain on January 24, 2008, 02:50:37 PM
From the little I've seen (extracts really) Kerr Culhain seems to know what he is talking about.  Good book?

Actually I thoroughly enjoyed it.  I have recommended it many times to friends and family!  There are a few places where I was just 'thanks but uh NO' but in all it was a good book!  I have found men seem to get it more than women, a very masculine point of view on stuff!  Not a lot of fluff, very to the point yanno?

Swote.

I probably wont read it, I have reading stocked up for years to come, but if I see it on someone elses bookshelf, I shall assume they are a person of decency and taste.

Verbal Mike

I realized there's another book that I read that kind of laid the mental groundwork for this chaos. It was Daniel Greenberg's "Worlds in Creation", which is mainly a book about learning.
Unless stated otherwise, feel free to copy or reproduce any text I post anywhere and any way you like. I will never throw a hissy-fit over it, promise.

Iason Ouabache

For me it goes like this:

Principia Discordia (Steven Jackson Games version)
H2G2 (which I read when I was 12)
The Illumintus Triology
Summa Discordia
Black Iron Prison
The Tao of Physics
Techniques of Chaos Magic
The Gnostic Gospels by Elaine Pagels (first time I looked at religion from a political POV)

I just started reading Prometheus Rising but I'm sure that it's going to be somewhere on that list really soon.

You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

Cain

Incidentally, if anyone has e-book versions of anything on here, I suggest uploading them.  I'm going to go through my rather extensive library later tomorrow, and see what I have already.

Epimetheus

Douglas Adams is a great influence. I read Daniel Pinkwater books in elementary school, and I don't care how young I was, I recognized them as great books. I still think they're great, as far as I remember them.
I'm a Taoist so Taoist texts (I've read) blow me away.
Honestly, things like PBF comics, SMBC, and Cyanide and Happiness blow me away.
POST-SINGULARITY POCKET ORGASM TOAD OF RIGHTEOUSNESS

Cain

I read both Adams and Pratchett at secondary/high school, so I would tend to agree.  They weren't the most influential things I read, but they still made me think and helped develop my somewhat twisted sense of humour.

the other anonymous

In the order I read them:

Some five-cent book from the 70s found in my high school's library, about world mythologies that included an alternate history for Christ. That blew my mind.

To Ride a Silver Broomstick, by Silver RavenWolf.

A book a friend in high school was writing about her visions.

The Dada Manifestos

Meditations on First Philosophy, by Descartes.

You see, not only did I learn that all religions are mythical, but I learned that all myths are religical. Then I learned I could roll my own. Then I learned it was all shit anyway. And then I learned to love playing in the shit.

-toa,
two philosophers, one cup

Cain

Wait...Silver Ravenwolf?

I'm genuinely curious about what you got out of her, given the general consensus in the srs Pagan community is to despise her and everything she does.

Cain

OK, uploads of books I have.

Includes:

The PD
Illuminatus! Trilogy
Prometheus Rising
Beneath Reality
Godel, Escher, Bach
The Temporary Autononmous Zone/Broadsheets on Ontological Chaos
The Book of Law
The Book of Lies/Liber 333
Liber ABA/Book 4
The Hero With A Thousand Faces
Apocrypha Discordia
AD&D Complete Second Edition
Beyond Good and Evil
The Book of 5 Rings
The Spy Who Came in From the Cold (cant find my e-copy of A Perfect Spy)
Oven Ready Chaos (instead of Prime Chaos, again couldn't find)
The Teachings of Don Juan
Fight Club
Ender's Game
Liber Null
Bhagavad Gita
Simulacra and Simulations
HHGTTG

I dont have the rest.  Upload here: http://www.mediafire.com/?16yyecshjnm

Requia ☣

Oooh, been looking for another copy of Apocrypha Discordia for a while.

Not really discordian, but the Nag Hammadi was probably the first thing to make me question my belief structure around the supernatural.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Kurt Christ

The PD, The Illuminatus! Trilogy, and Beyond Good and Evil would be my top three. Siddhartha by Hesse also had some influence.
Formerly known as the Space Pope (then I was excommunicated), Father Kurt Christ (I was deemed unfit to raise children, spiritual or otherwise), and Vartox (the speedo was starting to chafe)

Vene

First it was the Bible (I have found nothing better for deconverting Xians), and for a few years I started to notice more and more chaos in the world (along with the thought that the universe is fundamentally flawed).  Just over a year ago I read The Illuminatus! Trilogy and the references to the Principia Discordia so I searched for and read it.  It was at that point I knew Discordianism was for me.

And Douglas Adams wins, pure and simple.

So, in order it was:
The Bible
A few years of confusion
Illuminatus!
PD

Triple Zero

Quote from: Cain on February 23, 2008, 04:12:40 PM
I dont have the rest.  Upload here: http://www.mediafire.com/?16yyecshjnm

sweet. feels good just to have them :-)

one day i'll get a device with an e-ink display and i might actually read them, too :)

wait, who listed "AD&D Complete Second Edition" ? :)

- Oven Ready Chaos (instead of Prime Chaos, again couldn't find)

i printed and read that one, but, isn't there some slightly more serious discussion about chaos magick available somewhere? because when i read it, i was mostly busy having a look at the occult and just see what it's all about, with the most open mind possible, but i kind of like the no-nonsense explanations these days. i still play around with Tarot, for example, which i think can be a useful (and fun) psychological tool, but i'm not going to pretend it's predicting my future.
just like with Chaos Magick, you got these sigils and the idea of gnosis, and now i have a vague idea of the psychological theory behind that, but i really don't care for "explanations" such as "gnosis helps the sigil/magick to bypass the psychic censor".
eh, so if anyone has got some title suggestions that delve into Chaos Magick without too much of the bullshit, that would be great :)

i might actually try and read Liber Null from the screen, i've heard that book mentioned so often now, i'm kinda curious what's in it, anyway.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.