News:

PD.COM:  Mindlessly hitting the refresh button for weeks on end.

Main Menu

contrast between BIP and PD ....

Started by barumunk, January 10, 2008, 09:26:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

barumunk

k i'll be the first to admit it, but im a n00b.
the thing thats getting to me though is this.....

the PD was frikken awsome..(if a little "sugarcoated") as noted in the BIP...... but  personally i think that that the BIP has taken it a little to close to the literal..... what happend to the middle ground?

am i the only knob that feels this way? or does some1 agree???

hopee i posted this in the right section....

"For it is with the mysteries of our religion, as with wholesome pills for the sick, which swallowed whole, have the virtue to cure; but chewed, are for the most part cast up again without effect." Thomas Hobbes

I was always taught to chew everything before i swallow.

LMNO

Literal?

The whole thing is a metaphor, and as far as I know, we try to remind ourselves of that every chance you get.

Also, the BIP isn't really supposed to replace the PD, it's supposed to underline the bits of the PD that we consider still useful 40-50 years later, and come at it in a new way.

barumunk

i meant the BIP was more literal (than the PD).....

but yeah, i see what you're gettin at :D
so its more of a companion guide.... not something in its own rite

"For it is with the mysteries of our religion, as with wholesome pills for the sick, which swallowed whole, have the virtue to cure; but chewed, are for the most part cast up again without effect." Thomas Hobbes

LMNO

I still don't get what you mean by "literal"...

Where do you think we are saying you "literally" live in a Black Iron Prison?

Not trying to be a jerk here, I'm actually curious.  If you think we're being literal, we might want to change some things.

barumunk

well...

i think what i meant was more "simple" than "literal", suppose one has to be specif in this regard hmmmmm.....

and i dint by anymeans thnk we literaly live in a black prison
just that the fluffed wording (sugar) from the PD was missing in the BIP

so by literal i meant direct....... i think :D

barumunk

LMNO

Yeah, I should really fix it.

I guess I'll link it to the BIP wiki.

AFK

Quote from: barumunk on January 10, 2008, 09:26:18 AM
k i'll be the first to admit it, but im a n00b.
the thing thats getting to me though is this.....

the PD was frikken awsome..(if a little "sugarcoated") as noted in the BIP...... but  personally i think that that the BIP has taken it a little to close to the literal..... what happend to the middle ground?

am i the only knob that feels this way? or does some1 agree???

hopee i posted this in the right section....

The BIP was always intended to be just one of many eventual products.  At the time of its production we also had a couple of other ideas knocking around.  One was Lollercaust which probably would have been a sort of "middle ground".  Some updated humor but not going quite as wacky as the PD did. And perhaps it is something that will still come to fruition some day.  Alas, Discordianism and producing Discordian literature doesn't pay the bills. 

Also, I think the BIP pamphlet was produced at a time where a lot of us were all feeling a same kind of vibe and energy.  It seemed like a lot of us were all really pissed off about similar things at the same time.  It was sort of a "lightning in a bottle" kind of thing.  It was really cool to see it come together the way it did. 

Though, if you do some digging in the Or Kill Me and Repository sections, you will see though it hasn't been collated into pamphlet form, there's been some good stuff produced lately.  Vex, particularly has been producing some fine materials. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

barumunk

hmmm it makith cents..... well hope fully the "middleground" like the Lollercaust will come about someday....
i'll def check out the Or kill me sections etc... shot alot!!!!!

Cramulus

Two reasons Lollercaust never took off-
-nobody can agree on what exactly it is
-none of us are terribly funny when put on the spot...

I think you're right, the BIP could be a bit funnier. I tried when I re-edited it and added some images and crap to make it easier to read (see sig). And even a comic and a silly parable. But Lollercaust--

What do you think Lollercaust should be about?

Cain

AFK

I was thinking about this the other day.  And I think we probably tried this once, but I wonder if what we need is a sort of Outline for something like Lollercaust.  What topics or areas would we want covered.  

And as you, Cram, aptly point out, the funny on command is difficult.  But, if we have ideas to knock around in the noggin, perhaps it will at least be a seed for something.  
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

barumunk

Cain: hehehehe :D

Prof.Cram:
Quote from: Professor Cramulus on January 11, 2008, 02:41:54 PM
What do you think Lollercaust should be about?

Well i was readin the wiki, where the difference/similarities between The Golden Sphere and the BIP...... what if it was a look at how they are the same thing......

kinda like attractive opposites.... for lack of another description. bringing back some of the absurdities of the PD?

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on January 11, 2008, 02:47:30 PM
I was thinking about this the other day.  And I think we probably tried this once, but I wonder if what we need is a sort of Outline for something like Lollercaust.  What topics or areas would we want covered. 

And as you, Cram, aptly point out, the funny on command is difficult.  But, if we have ideas to knock around in the noggin, perhaps it will at least be a seed for something. 

RWHN: yeah i agree, the more "silly" interpretations and metaphors will come with time, once the core messages are thoughta bout more

ps: Prof Cram, added a link under literature on the wiki to your page on Pipe Bombs hope you dont mind?

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I haven't read the BIP. Perhaps I should.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cain

It might be helpful.

Flicking through the forum is a good substitute, however.