News:

Endorsement: "I could go so far as to say they simply use Discordianism as a mechanism for causing havoc, and an excuse for mischief."

Main Menu

Orange Fennel Shrimp

Started by Suu, January 14, 2008, 03:15:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Suu

This is a creation of Suu-Brother.......Unfortunately in order for me to try it I would need Benedryl, Aveeno Oatmeal bath, and a lot of water, so um...someone try and tell me how it is. Cause I love shrimp and this breaks my heart.

ORANGE FENNEL SCRIMPS

1lb 16-20 uncooked shrimp
1 whole Florida orange
1/4 cup honey
1 cup oj
1/4 oz fennel leaves

first reduce the oj about 3/4 ,zest your and your zest to the reduction.
Then you need to peel and slice that same orange and puree' it. Add in your fennel leaves and honey.
Then slow mix the reduction in the puree'. Peel shrimp and sauté's it for 45 seconds each side on high heat.
Place on a plate pure your sauce onto shrimp and enjoy
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Triple Zero

interesting!

just one question if you say, reduce the oj about 3/4, does that mean there should be 3/4th left of it or 3/4th of it should be evaporated?

unfortunately, shrimp are a bit expensive here, especially the larger ones. but, maybe, if i ask the fish guy at the market reaaaaaly nicely that it's an important experiment for a shrimpically-challenged woman from america, he'll make me a good deal? :) :)
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

East Coast Hustle

I gotta say, this sounds like too much orange flavor in one dish (juice, zest, AND a whole pureed orange!), but I like it conceptually. I'd probably use the fennel bulb instead of the leaves because the anise flavor of the bulb is alot milder, but that's strictly a matter of personal taste.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Richter

Sounds tasty, does he recomend serving with rice, or jsut by itself?
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Suu

I'm not sure, he sent it to me through email and said, 'look what I just came up with today'. My guess it's a touristy treat for the dog track restaurant since he opted out of going to NOLA. He made me for my dad though, and the review was that it was good.

But I'm sure over white rice it would be tasty.

I'm tempted to get the necessary benedryl and try it for myself though. My reaction to shrimp is typically mild and just involves a scratchy throat if that.  If it was crab or lobster then I'd probably wanna pick up prednisone.

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Richter

You could always fake it and use cubed lean chicken. 

Your brother will likely storm north to kill me for saying that. 
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Suu

I don't think he would, as a chef it's his JOB to adjust recipes for my fucking allergies, damnit. When I was last down there I missed the chance for him to cook for me because he was busy, and I was only there for 3 nights, so I partook in all the fast food that RI/MA doesn't have and regretted it after. (Sketch doesn't understand why I flipped out over there being a Chick-Fil-A in Beverly. That was like...heaven to me.)

Triple Zero

aaanyway, my question about reducing? do you end up with 3/4th or 1/4th of the orange juice?
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

Suu

If you're reducing the juice 3/4, I assume that means you'll have 1/4 left. That sounds more concentrated for a sauce.

LMNO

As far as I can tell from the tortured syntax, the recipie is essentially a sauce poured over sautee'd shrimp.

If that's the case, you can pour it over anything your little heart desires, from cubed, battered and fried haddock to lobster.

Hell, you could drizzle it over grilled trout, if you wanted.  The flavor in this dish isn't in the shrimp, it's in the sauce.  Knock yourself out.

Also, try using a blood orange instead of a regular orange.

Also also Trip0, if you start with 1 cup of OJ, I think you're supposed to reduce until you get 1/4 cup of OJ.

Darth Cupcake

Quote from: LMNO on January 14, 2008, 08:16:55 PM
Also, try using a blood orange instead of a regular orange.

Oooooooohhhhhhh.

-DC
Loves blood oranges
Misses having morning cup of blood orange juice in Paris :cry:
Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

Triple Zero

Quote from: Suu Fett on January 14, 2008, 08:15:49 PM
If you're reducing the juice 3/4, I assume that means you'll have 1/4 left. That sounds more concentrated for a sauce.

ok see because i was assuming exactly the opposite.

interesting.

i might try it!

Richter

If you try to cut corners and use frozen concentrate WAYSA?

Triple Zero

yay i got some big gamba shrimp at the market today, they werent that expensive, 14e/kilo, ok that's about twice what i'd pay for chicken filet, but still.

so i'm gonna try it.

i'll take pics too :)

Triple Zero

wait--fennel?

damnit

i forgot all about that.