News:

It is better to set off a nuclear bomb, than to sit and curse the dark.

Main Menu

Orange Fennel Shrimp

Started by Suu, January 14, 2008, 03:15:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jasper

Cooler than my breakfast, even: Salmon fillet and hash browns.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

That looks hardcore delicious !i would eat it.

Trip0, fennel grows as a weed all over my neighborhood, if you want some seeds let me know and I'll send you a packet of them. If you don't have a yard of your own, you can still find some small neglected urban spots and just toss them about in a few different places, eventually you'll have an herb garden you can harvest every time you go for a walk. I have oregano seeds as well, from my ridiculously prolific oregano bush.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Suu

Oregano does tend to take over yards if you're not careful.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

East Coast Hustle

basil, rosemary, and hot peppers are also things that can be grown easily and abundantly without much effort.

also, Trip0, I'll send you whatever kind of fruit/vegetable/herb seeds you want if you just send me a few in return. ;)
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Darth Cupcake

I have a balcony outside my bedroom and office, on the top floor of my building. I don't get GREAT sunlight (north facing :sad: ) but I don't get bad sunlight either. I am thinking as spring starts, I will buy some containers and start growing some herbs, and possibly even some veggies. Anyone have some suggestions on what I should grow there, since we're discussing these things?
Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

LMNO

Oregano, Thyme, Sage, Parsley, Mint.

Suu

Mint is evil, be careful.

*watched mint take over her whole damn garden one summer no matter what she did*
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

LMNO

I have windowboxes, too.  I devote a completely separate pot for mint, so it doesn't spread.

Triple Zero

i'm currently growing mint, rosemary, mint, oregano and thyme in plant balcony boxes (?) although currently they're inside trying to survive the winter, so i can't really use them.

indeed the mint already spread to two places, but that's fine, i'll just use more mint then. i can always replace the herbs or the earth.

basil always dies, i don't have enough sunlight (and the basil plants from the supermarket are so weak, i guess grown in an artificial light greenhouse, if you put them outside they die from system shock or something.)

i gotta try sage and hot peppers, i think.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Try acclimating your basil plants gradually... it's called "hardening". You put them outside for an hour the first day, two hours the second day, and so on. After ten or twelve days, plant them outside.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Triple Zero

i also can't keep them alive inside.

i dont have a greenhouse :)
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Hm. Maybe those are some weird genetically altered basil plants you're getting? They should be OK in a window for a couple weeks.

Triple Zero

i dunno, i suppose they just been grown very fast under high intensity greenhouse lamps.

also i can't place them anywhere where they'd get direct sunlight. in my balcony only in the early morning.

LMNO

Yeah, they need a lot of light, and soil with a lot of drainage.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I am baffled because when I buy basil I usually accidentally leave it on my porch or my kitchen counter for a week before I get around to planting it... the climate here can't be THAT different, can it? Perhaps you should start some from seed?