News:

Endorsement: "I would highly suggest that you steer clear of this website at all costs and disconnect yourself from all affiliation with those involved."

Main Menu

I used to be happy...

Started by FedbeeeF, December 27, 2007, 08:51:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reginald Ret

if thinking at the level of dogs is enough to be a discordian then all mammals are discordians. Pffff kids and animals are no more discordians then they are jewish, wiccan or a banana-sandwich.

Besides if all humans are born with this thought pattern, then its not a certain type of thought pattern but THE thought pattern of mammals.

come back after you learn how to stop contradicting yourself.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Triple Zero

FTR, i said:

if you count that as "thought", i totally stand corrected.

i don't count it as thought, but i'm also just trying to avoid a semantics discussion about "what is thought"

because, really,

DETERMINISM

ATOMS

PHYSICS

QUANTUM

(*hides*)
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Iason Ouabache

Quote from: Regret on March 31, 2008, 07:35:24 PM
if thinking at the level of dogs is enough to be a discordian then all mammals are discordians. Pffff kids and animals are no more discordians then they are jewish, wiccan or a banana-sandwich.

Besides if all humans are born with this thought pattern, then its not a certain type of thought pattern but THE thought pattern of mammals.

I was thinking the same thing.  If everyone is born a Discordian, then who the hell are all these Cabbages I keep meeting?
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

LMNO

Cain

Not people.  They are actual Cabbages, disguised as humans.

I mean, duh.  Dont you guys read anything?

hooplala

"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

LMNO

Quote from: Cain on March 31, 2008, 08:30:59 PM
Not people.  They are actual Cabbages, disguised as humans.

I mean, duh.  Dont you guys read anything?

:coffeemonitor:

:potd:

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Regret on March 31, 2008, 07:35:24 PM

Come back after you learn to distinguish one poster from another.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: triple zero on March 31, 2008, 07:49:50 PM
FTR, i said:

if you count that as "thought", i totally stand corrected.

i don't count it as thought, but i'm also just trying to avoid a semantics discussion about "what is thought"

because, really,

DETERMINISM

ATOMS

PHYSICS

QUANTUM

(*hides*)

Newborn babies don't have any fewer brain cells than adults do; their brains grow because the cells themselves get larger. They have as much brain activity as adults do. They are thinking, just not in the same way we think because they lack language and experience. Comparing a human baby to a dog is really inaccurate.

For the record, *I* was not the person who said that everyone is born Discordian. I was just arguing that it makes no sense to declare that actual thought begins at the age of one.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Triple Zero

Quote from: Nigel on March 31, 2008, 09:09:43 PMNewborn babies don't have any fewer brain cells than adults do; their brains grow because the cells themselves get larger. They have as much brain activity as adults do. They are thinking, just not in the same way we think because they lack language and experience. Comparing a human baby to a dog is really inaccurate.

For the record, *I* was not the person who said that everyone is born Discordian. I was just arguing that it makes no sense to declare that actual thought begins at the age of one.

actually they quickly have more braincells than adults after they get born, because the first part of learning stuff involves growing a lot of braincells and also killing a lot of them.

this wasn't, however, what we were talking about. amount of braincells has nothing to do with the ability of thought (there's people functioning and reasoning pretty well missing about 90% of their brains).

also, i wasn't comparing a baby to a dog. i was just saying that the only thing the experiment demonstrated is that a newborn baby has at least the cognitive abilities of a dog. that is, being able to learn through simple conditioning.
i was arguing that the experiment stated in the book you linked proves nothing about a baby being capable of thought or not. because simple conditioning is not thinking.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Payne

I used to be happy...

UNTIL I SAW THAT VIDEO OF LMNO AND THE HORSE!

:x

Reginald Ret

Quote from: Nigel on March 31, 2008, 09:06:27 PM

reread threat and point taken, apologies.

what horse? (im gonna Regret asking that)
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Cramulus

Quote from: Regret on March 31, 2008, 10:14:28 PM
Quote from: Nigel on March 31, 2008, 09:06:27 PM

reread threat and point taken, apologies.

:lulz:

what horse? (im gonna Regret asking that)

http://www.news24.com/News24/World/News/0,,2-10-1462_1739698,00.html

there's a video of this which you shouldn't watch if you're easily freaked out.

LMNO

I'm feeling much better, thanks.

Payne