News:

Nothing gets wasted around here

Main Menu

Cherimoyas

Started by Jasper, January 15, 2008, 09:48:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jasper

I just had my first one yesterday, and I am in love.

Any chance there's a good recipe for them?  If not, I'm perfectly happy eating them as is.

btw, If you haven't had them, you're wasting precious time reading this.

Darth Cupcake

What is a cherimoya?

Ja, ja, I am googling, but still. Fill in some blanks as I do so.
Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

Jasper

It is a fruit of delightfulness itself. 

Tastes kind of like ice cream, but not cold.

Darth Cupcake

Looks pretty cool.

Here is what I found when Googling--there's supposed to be recipes under the eating part: http://cherimoya.orcon.net.nz/600x800.html
Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

Jasper

CARAMELIZED CHERIMOYAS

FUCK

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Cherimoyas are so good! I wish they weren't so expensive.

I'm growing paw paw trees, the fruits of which are supposed to be similar, but are so delicate you can't buy them anywhere.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

East Coast Hustle

I was under the (possibly mistaken) impression that paw paw is just an asian spelling of papaya?
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

East Coast Hustle

I must be wrong, because papaya would never grow in Orygun.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Yeah, papayas are tropical. Pawpaws do well in temperate zones.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

East Coast Hustle

are they similar though?

I seem to remember some of my asian cookbooks using them interchangeably.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Hmmm I don't know... I am not fond of papaya, and pawpaw is supposed to be more like cherimoya... I've never actually tasted one, I have to wait until my baby trees grow up!

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Ah, OK, I did a little googling and it looks like in other parts of the world they often call papayas "paw paw" but they are not related to the American Paw Paw.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Hahahaha this cracked me up:

"The flowers are self-incompatible, requiring cross pollination; at least two different varieties of the plant are needed as pollenizers. The flowers produce an odor similar to that of rotting meat to attract blowflies or carrion beetles for cross pollination. Lack of pollination is the most common cause of poor fruiting, and growers resort to hand pollination or to hanging chicken necks or other meat to attract pollinators."

Jasper

Amazing.  I wonder how hard it would be to engineer flower that smelt like other stuff.

East Coast Hustle

I just now realized what a cherimoya is.

In the West Indies, they're "soursop", and they're basically the best thing ever.

I don't know about cooking with them, but I know that they make excellent daiquiris and/or coladas.

also, soursop cheesecake is fucking AWESOME.