News:

Testimonial: "PD is the home of Pure Evil and All That Is Wrong With the Interwebz." - Queen of the Ryche, apparently in all seriousness

Main Menu

Cherimoyas

Started by Jasper, January 15, 2008, 09:48:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dysfunctional Cunt

Quote from: Nigel on January 15, 2008, 10:48:36 PM
Cherimoyas are so good! I wish they weren't so expensive.

I'm growing paw paw trees, the fruits of which are supposed to be similar, but are so delicate you can't buy them anywhere.

I've had both and pawpaws are very very strongly flavored.  I personally hate them, but my kids will eat them.  However, they taste NOTHING like a cherimoya.

Dysfunctional Cunt

Quote from: East Coast Hustle on January 24, 2008, 07:42:50 PM
I just now realized what a cherimoya is.

In the West Indies, they're "soursop", and they're basically the best thing ever.

I don't know about cooking with them, but I know that they make excellent daiquiris and/or coladas.

also, soursop cheesecake is fucking AWESOME.

tr00f!! 

Replace applesauce in a layer cake, very tasty.  Makes amazing sorbet!  I've had it in cream puffs replacing the cream.

My daughter just eats it straight from the half like a pudding.

Jasper

I'm thinking that most of these Cherimoya recipes I'm hearing are just gilding the lily.  But I do want to try them caramelized.

Cainad (dec.)

I tasted a cherimoya once. The guy who offered it to me mentioned that Mark Twain called it the most delicious fruit known to man.

Never before had I been convinced of Twain's literary genius.

Jasper

Twain was a good friend of N. Tesla, you know.  It is only suitable that he was a superlative wit.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Khara on January 24, 2008, 08:24:16 PM
Quote from: Nigel on January 15, 2008, 10:48:36 PM
Cherimoyas are so good! I wish they weren't so expensive.

I'm growing paw paw trees, the fruits of which are supposed to be similar, but are so delicate you can't buy them anywhere.

I've had both and pawpaws are very very strongly flavored.  I personally hate them, but my kids will eat them.  However, they taste NOTHING like a cherimoya.

There are several different varieties of pawpaw, and two major separations of type, so I hear. Mine are still saplings. Are you more northern or more southern? I have heard that makes a difference.

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."