News:

The End of the World is Coming, and YOU MAY DIE

Main Menu

POSTERGASM

Started by Cramulus, January 19, 2008, 05:23:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Triple Zero

printers always have margins, afaik. you just need to cut them off.

stuff that gets printed to A4 (that's european paper size) to the margins, is usually printed on a larger paper, then cut to A4.

use InDesign or Illustrator for full control over your layout. but you're going to need to cut either way. this is a mechanical limitation with printers.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Triple Zero

xposting this thought from the IRC channel:

"i just think with all the propaganda posters we're not doing a very good job at really spreading URLs for people that want to know more. hell, there's often not even googleable terms on a poster :) but that's also because we never quite had a good URL to put on the propaganda, the main index page of PD.com tells nothing, and the forum is too big for anyone to get a good glance. the blog is perfect"

so uh, anybody that makes posters, and wants to put a sort of followup URL on it, but is not sure what it should be, use

http://www.principiadiscordia.com/blog

thanks
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

It seems it might be good to put a link to the blog on the front page?

I prefer not to put the full link on the posters, because I'm afraid the more discerning viewers might look at it and go "oh, it's an ad" and never think about it again... and those are the exact people we WANT to come here, IMO.

However, the word "Discordia" or the phrase "All Hail Discordia" on the posters somewhere is quite Googleable, and PD.com is pretty high in the results. If you make people FIND it, they will WANT it.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Lies

yeah, i usually make sure there's a "hail eris" or something on the posters that i put up...

oh yeah, new pics...
http://flickr.com/photos/23636964@N07/2332459762/ http://flickr.com/photos/23636964@N07/2332459562/
- So the New World Order does not actually exist?
- Oh it exists, and how!
Ask the slaves whose labour built the White House;
Ask the slaves of today tied down to sweatshops and brothels to escape hunger;
Ask most women, second class citizens, in a pervasive rape culture;
Ask the non-human creatures who inhabit the planet:
whales, bears, frogs, tuna, bees, slaughtered farm animals;
Ask the natives of the Americas and Australia on whose land
you live today, on whose graves your factories, farms and neighbourhoods stand;
ask any of them this, ask them if the New World Order is true;
they'll tell you plainly: the New World Order... is you!

Pope Pope XXIII

:lulz: :lulz: Some of these are so funny! I should paste em up wherever I can.

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Quote from: Nigel on March 14, 2008, 01:58:11 AM
[...]I'm afraid the more discerning viewers might look at it and go "oh, it's an ad" and never think about it again... and those are the exact people we WANT to come here, IMO.

If these are truly discerning viewers they'd see that PosterGASM posters sell ideas, not products. You mean, if they share your commie-fail perspective of ads = ev0l-madgjixcks you think they'd get along with us. Though on point in other areas, that still doesn't fly.

If someone is so rabidly anti-capitalist/paranoid to reject something on the basis of "it looking like an ad" even though it's placed in a space that isn't paid for, they're probably too dogmatic and grey for this board to begin with.

The "discordia" market does not fit your preconceived notions.
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I'm not the one who thinks advertising is evil, pangolin-face. I'm the one who thinks it's a tool. I spend about $5300/year on advertising, it's a valid tool. Like any tool, it can be used ethically or unethically.

Have you noticed that this city is literally covered with ads? They're everywhere. people want you to come check out their bands, their baby clothes, their whatever. A lot of ads are pretty clever, too. All I'm saying is that I think it would be more effective/interesting to make people dig a little, pique their interest, rather than throw the ad ('cause that's what it is, an ad for PD.com) right on the poster, because I think there's kind of a high rate for burnout and dismissal of ads, however clever and subversive. So that's what I'm doing. Other people can do it however they think is awesomest or funniest or whatever.

So, yeah, my approach is a little more viral marketing" than "overt advertisement", and maybe that's dumb. But I still like it, and it's what I'm going to do.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Also, because I think the posters are damn funny without being connected to any kind of cause, website, etc. When they have an obvious purpose I feel like it loses a little of the "WTF" quality that makes me want to do it.

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Quote from: Nigel on March 16, 2008, 03:26:45 AM
I'm not the one who thinks advertising is evil, pangolin-face. I'm the one who thinks it's a tool. I spend about $5300/year on advertising, it's a valid tool. Like any tool, it can be used ethically or unethically.

Have you noticed that this city is literally covered with ads? They're everywhere. people want you to come check out their bands, their baby clothes, their whatever. A lot of ads are pretty clever, too. All I'm saying is that I think it would be more effective/interesting to make people dig a little, pique their interest, rather than throw the ad ('cause that's what it is, an ad for PD.com) right on the poster, because I think there's kind of a high rate for burnout and dismissal of ads, however clever and subversive. So that's what I'm doing. Other people can do it however they think is awesomest or funniest or whatever.

So, yeah, my approach is a little more viral marketing" than "overt advertisement", and maybe that's dumb. But I still like it, and it's what I'm going to do.

Well, forgive me for getting that impression from your previous post.

Now that I've heard more about your idea, the more I'm liking it.

Net,
Douchetard.
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

Verbal Mike

Wouldn't it make sense for the PD.com main page to display the last post from the blog, under the intro text? There's room, and it would make the main page much more useful to link to.
Unless stated otherwise, feel free to copy or reproduce any text I post anywhere and any way you like. I will never throw a hissy-fit over it, promise.

Triple Zero

verb, yea that's a good idea. chalk it up to the list :)

also, i'm going to put principiadiscordia.com/blog on my posters anyway. i agree with Net on the part where if someone thinks that something (a memebomb) is cool, but then wouldn't want to find out more about it if the URL is handed on a plate to them, but under the same circumstances, the same person would find out more about it if they had to google a phrase for it, they're idiots.

okay, well, not quite idiots. but a tad shortsighted to actively disregard something you enjoy/piques your interest for the simple fact that it's got a URL on it.

personally, if i would find a poster that's weird and zany, makes me smile and/or think, i would definitely have a positive feeling towards the URL, and at least i would know for sure that it is actually related to the poster.
while if there's just a phrase, there must be something pretty damn compelling about that poster for me to write down the phrase in order to google it later, with a good chance that i won't find the people who made the poster, but just any random site (okay we know that PD.com will probably turn up in the first three results, but the target audience doesn't).

speaking of weird and zany, i know that there's a lot of young people actively or passively looking for just exactly that. comes with the territory of living in a city with a 20% student population, i guess. not all students of course, but i feel that a good part of them are (at least sunconsciously) aware of the twisted crazyness that permeates our existence, and that which we worship.

i've been putting up some every week in a "space for non-commercial messages" at one of the supermarkets here. i'm not entirely sure, but i think they are supposed to leave any messages there for at least a week, but i'm pretty certain my "DO NOT REMOVE THIS FLYER // HORNET" poster got removed after just a few days.
currently the "CIRCULAR REASONING WORKS BECAUSE OF--" poster is up at the same place since thursday afternoon, i haven't been able to check back, but will do so on monday, if it's removed, i'm going to complain about it. because it is non-commercial, afterall (also it's not like the HORNET poster was replaced with something else, there was just an empty space--that i refilled with the circular reasoning poster)

Cramulus

The cool thing about these projects is that we can all approach it in different ways.

For my part, I'm leaving URLs off of the posters because I hate it when people try to sell me something, even stuff I actually want. Something as innocuous as a URL makes me dismiss it almost immediately. In this world of constant memetic bombardment, I consider it a survival skill.

A few months ago, I got into an argument about this topic with a guy at a focus group. I insisted that there is next to nothing that Axe Body Spray can do which will make me go to their website. No matter what celebrity you get to pimp it, no matter how hot the models are, I see too many commericals to have any interest in seeking out cooler ones. I know that we're not a scam (...or are we?) but the average pedistrian's reaction is a little bit harder to pin.

When I'm engaged in Postergasm or other mindfuck projects, my target audience is static: I'm projecting this mindfuck at some person who is JUST LIKE ME. He shares my sense of humor and my obsession with the surreal and the absurd. Maybe he hasn't figured out how to start investigating his cell yet. And I know that guy will genuinely appreciate some little poster which is just supposed to be startling - not startling with a "now check out my band / product / scene / whatever" riding the coattails.

That's why a lot of the postergasm stuff has Hail Eris written (not typed!) on it in. And that's why Volume Dingus references Kallisti boulevard and PrincipiaDiscordia but does not have a website listed. A simple websearch will point them in our general direction. But if they don't convert to Discord, that's cool with me. I'm being absolutely explicit that I designed these poster sets with zero overt evangelism. The important thing - to me - is that I might have given someone something to talk about around the water cooler or dinner table later on. Or maybe they think "wow, I saw something cool today and it wasn't motivated by money" and realize that THEY can do cool stuff too, on the cheap.

but that's just MY Discordia.

everyone's Discordia is different.

collect all 1024.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Netaungrot on March 16, 2008, 03:33:57 AM
Quote from: Nigel on March 16, 2008, 03:26:45 AM

Well, forgive me for getting that impression from your previous post.

Now that I've heard more about your idea, the more I'm liking it.

Net,
Douchetard.

:)

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I'm kind of where Cram's at, and I couldn't agree more with the statement that everyone's Discordia is different... and it's GOOD that way! If we promote discord our own way, with all of our assorted end-goals, then we're doing our own thing, and that is the way it should be, IMO.

Everyone's area is different, too. In areas that have less interesting stuff going on, one poster with the URL might attract someone's attention. In an area where there's more information/entertainment overload and tons of weird stuff going on all the time, it might take seeing a bunch of different posters with no apparent message or goal to make someone's consciousness click and go "OK, wait, WTF is this all about???"

Triple Zero

you know, i will ask around among my friends whether an URL on a poster that captures their interest would actually make them less likely to find out more about that poster, as compared to a poster with just a tag phrase on it that would require remembering the phrase and googling in order to find out more.

personally i don't think it would make me less likely to visit the URL, though i would judge it by the form of the actual URL. myspace.com/discordia suggests it's a crappy band promoting themselves, discordia.blogspot.com tells a different story (doesn't give me a very good feeling, but i'd go there anyway), a full domain like principiadiscordia.com/blog would suggest me something commercial, actually.

so uhm, that makes one "idunno"

i'll ask my friends.

also,
Quote from: Professor Cramulus on March 16, 2008, 08:33:43 PMI insisted that there is next to nothing that Axe Body Spray can do which will make me go to their website. No matter what celebrity you get to pimp it, no matter how hot the models are

[01:16.54] tripzilch: hey, you there?
[01:17.15] tripzilch: check this out: http://elvicities.com/~ananames/next_to_nothing.html
[01:19.02] Prof. Cram: MOTHERFUCKER
[01:19.14] tripzilch: pwnd.