News:

PD.com: Like a fraternity of drunken clowns, hopped up on goofballs, beating one-another to a bloody pulp with bricks; the maniacal laughter increases exponentially as someone runs off to get a cinder-block.

Main Menu

Another TGRR prophecy comes true.

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, January 22, 2008, 02:55:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Hoopla on January 22, 2008, 03:25:04 AM
Shit, I have no idea what any of that means.

It's like Latin, except that I understand a little Latin.

It means cancel Christmas.

Canada seems to be doing okay.  Your banks are deliberately devaluing themselves, which means they are pulling money IN, which will keep them liquid in case of a small or medium run.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Cain

Quote from: Hoopla on January 22, 2008, 03:25:04 AM
Shit, I have no idea what any of that means.

It's like Latin, except that I understand a little Latin.

I understand a little.  Currency war theory, mostly, which is better than nothing.

Of course, the real kicker would be if Russian banks linked to corrupt government officials were hoarding the subprime loans and purposefully not telling anyone.  But I'm saving that tinfoil material for another month or so, until things get worse.

Bank of Scotland fell 8% as well.  And the Bank of Scotland has a foothold in most other banks.

hooplala

Come Armageddon!

Come Armageddon come!
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Cain

European markets in the worst state since 9/11.

WHEN TRADE SHUT DOWN FOR AN ENTIRE WEEK.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cain on January 22, 2008, 03:33:03 AM
European markets in the worst state since 9/11.

WHEN TRADE SHUT DOWN FOR AN ENTIRE WEEK.

Losses in the last few hours:

Merrill Lynch: $22.1bn
Citigroup: $18bn
UBS: $13.5bn
Morgan Stanley $9.4bn
HSBC: $3.4bn
Bear Stearns: $3.2bn
Deutsche Bank: $3.2bn
Bank of America: $3bn
Barclays: $2.6bn
Royal Bank of Scotland: $2.6bn
Freddie Mac: $2bn
JP Morgan Chase: $3.2bn
Credit Suisse: $1bn
Wachovia: $1.1bn
IKB: $2.6bn
Paribas: $197m

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Cain

Cain

We should find a financial board to troll.

This'll be easier than mocking Harry Potter fans.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cain on January 22, 2008, 03:39:58 AM
We should find a financial board to troll.

This'll be easier than mocking Harry Potter fans.

Forbes is usually good for a laugh.

Faust

I'm not callus enough to make bankers suicidal yet.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Faust on January 22, 2008, 03:42:06 AM
I'm not callus enough to make bankers suicidal yet.

Oh, but *I* am.   :lulz:

They're the fuckers that did this.

(Hey, beats blaming ourselves, right?)

Cain

I am.  Its their own fucking fault.  "Oh, we'll be cautious, we'll be careful.  Wheeeeee, lets give out billions in loans to people who can't possibly hope to pay it back and sell the debts onto anyone who can sign a piece of paper without checking.  Because we're responsible."  And they're dragging us down with them.

Also, Forbes' forum looks dead, except for spammers.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cain on January 22, 2008, 03:44:46 AM
I am.  Its their own fucking fault.  "Oh, we'll be cautious, we'll be careful.  Wheeeeee, lets give out billions in loans to people who can't possibly hope to pay it back and sell the debts onto anyone who can sign a piece of paper without checking.  Because we're responsible."  And they're dragging us down with them.

Also, Forbes' forum looks dead, except for spammers.

Deregulation is a wonderful thing, no?

And all the Forbes crowd are probably half way down the front of their buildings by now.

Cain

:lulz:

Nassim Nicholas Taleb was talking about this exact problem in Black Swan.  He said the next financial crisis would come from banks issuing loans to people who can't pay it all back, and they all default at the same time.  I'll find the exact quote tomorrow, sometime.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cain on January 22, 2008, 03:48:13 AM
:lulz:

Nassim Nicholas Taleb was talking about this exact problem in Black Swan.  He said the next financial crisis would come from banks issuing loans to people who can't pay it all back, and they all default at the same time.  I'll find the exact quote tomorrow, sometime.

Tomorrow?

What tomorrow?   :lulz:

Cain

I'm on holiday anyway, its not like I'll be doing anything else.

In fact, I'll still be on holiday once my degree is done, I suspect, because knowing my town as I do, jobs are already scarce and it was booming for the last couple of years.  I predict a steep rise in anti-Polish sentiment, which will be fun since I live in Little Warsaw.