News:

PD.com: Living proof that just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Main Menu

Another TGRR prophecy comes true.

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, January 22, 2008, 02:55:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyrannosaurus vex

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 22, 2008, 05:27:37 AM
Quote from: vexati0n on January 22, 2008, 05:25:24 AM
The Depression was caused by the shock of moving from the gold standard to a fiat currency.

No it bloody wasn't.  It was caused by people being able to borrow against their mortgages to buy stock on margin.  Thus, a minor market crash wiped out the net worth of 25% of the middle class.

That doesn't fit with my j00-based conspiracy algorithms. Take your facts to someone who wants them, sir.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: vexati0n on January 22, 2008, 05:33:29 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 22, 2008, 05:27:37 AM
Quote from: vexati0n on January 22, 2008, 05:25:24 AM
The Depression was caused by the shock of moving from the gold standard to a fiat currency.

No it bloody wasn't.  It was caused by people being able to borrow against their mortgages to buy stock on margin.  Thus, a minor market crash wiped out the net worth of 25% of the middle class.

That doesn't fit with my j00-based conspiracy algorithms. Take your facts to someone who wants them, sir.

:lulz:
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Diseris

You didn't enjoy it you never believed it there won't be a refund you'll never go back - TMBG

Faust

the talk has started over on sa. nerds shitting themselves is funny,
also the guy who mistook the thread for the y2k bug was good.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Idem

Cain

I thought the Great Depression was solved by good old Keynsian economics?

Never mind that wont work now, because the US government and the US people are in so much debt neither can be billed for the sort of measures needed to create jobs and cash flow.

LMNO

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 22, 2008, 04:57:05 AM
Quote from: vexati0n on January 22, 2008, 04:39:14 AM
The hilarious part is that Bush is getting ready to dole out up to $2,000 in cash to American families -- even the middle class -- just to keep them spending.

:lulz:

Spitting in the desert.

Hey, that's Obama's plan, as well.

You want to know what I find funny?  Every financial planner you talk to stresses the importance of saving your money, the news constantly yammers about credit card debt, yet economists constantly freak out when spending goes down.

AFK

I find the easiest way to avoid credit card debt is to not have a credit card.  We have one at Lowe's and I think we've used it exactly once to buy a couple of appliances, paid it off months ago. 

I think there is a lot of half-assed, empty lip service paid to the ideas of saving and spending wisely.  While it is in the individual's best interest, it doesn't seem to me that it is really meaningfully reinforced.  Yet, even a recession won't cure many in American society for their need to have things that they really can't afford. 

I have a shred of sympathy for people who got into this sub-prime nonsense, but seriously, if you know you aren't going to be able to pay for the house, don't buy it.  The American Dreamtm doesn't become any more real just because you own a house.  sheesh. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Cain

Diseris

Don't forget to sell, Mortimer, Sell!!

You didn't enjoy it you never believed it there won't be a refund you'll never go back - TMBG

Darth Cupcake

Quietly, I start biting my finger nails and whimpering in fear.
Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

Jasper

Quietly, I start jacking off with glee.

Cain

Quietly, I start organizing mobs to hang bankers, with much mirth.

Richter

Quietly, I start noting bulletproof walls and caches of nonperishable food.
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

The Littlest Ubermensch

Quietly, I start preparing to revel in the US's future as a third world nation, and contemplate a quick drive to Detroit to get used to it.
[witticism/philosophical insight/nifty quote to prove my intelligence to the forum]

LISTEN TO MY SHOW THURSDAY 5-7 EST

THEN GO TO MY MYSPACE