News:

Yes we're horrible toxic people, because this is 2020's Mental Illness Olympics, and the winners get a free pass on giving life-threatening advice with the bonus of having zero accountability for their shit behaviour.

Main Menu

Smoking Cessation foods, herbs?

Started by Diseris, January 22, 2008, 04:50:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hunter s.durden

Quote from: Diseris on January 24, 2008, 10:47:19 PM
Not to mention my drinking bone is directly connected to my smoking bone.

I have that problem, too.

Take up cutting until the need to smoke passes.
This space for rent.

Jasper

I read a Psychology Today article a few months ago about willpower building.  Anyone interested?

hunter s.durden

Hit me.

Willpower is one of the most important things to me.
This space for rent.

Jasper

Me too. 

So okay, they say that willpower is analogous to a muscle, and using it for smaller things builds it up for bigger things.  Mindfully deciding to improve your posture, not scratch itches, not snack, eliminate "uh" and "um".  That sort of activity will put your head together for greater feats of willpower, like resisting the urge to smoke or cheat.  Another trick is that something has got to give when you're stretching your willpower.  If you're using all your willpower to hold together with something important like dealing with irritating clients or something, feel free to slacken your will in other areas, like diet or self-gratification, guilty pleasures as it were.  It's a trade off, giving up small power struggles to win bigger ones.

That was pretty much the meat of the article.

hunter s.durden

Are you listening Diseris?
You're thread is getting semi-jacked, but you'll thank us.

I've been using techniques like these for years and they have paid off. My willpower has become a thing of awe, probably the only trait I have that I am proud of at all. It all started with not scratching itches (I read too many sniper books).

I disagree with the second part part though. I find that when I maintain my discipline in all aspects at once, it increases as a whole. An example might be that even though I am trying to quit smoking, at the same time I maintain a strict diet or work schedules.
Is that just me, or does anyone find that to be true?
This space for rent.

Diseris

heh, control the internets

I have a lot of will in a few areas and not much in others, guess I choose my battles.

I do better when I am driven, and in this I really hate big tobacco.

Those fuckers are killing a bunch of people who will never know better and aren't getting much of a chance to.

There not the only ones, of course, but I can't handle giving them any more money, and OPC's don't work because someone is still giving them money for fairly direct, undisguised death.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dp-4o0IodsE
You didn't enjoy it you never believed it there won't be a refund you'll never go back - TMBG

Cain

I've heard Hunter's willpower is actually so powerful it is a semi-conscious entity in its own right, like a Tibetan tulpa. 

Triple Zero

i'm pretty sure my willpower works differently.

is there any proof, or even just some reasonably well-founded arguments for the will functioning like a muscle?

i have a book called "The Act of Will: A Guide to Self-Actualization and Self-Realization" by Roberto Assagioli, it caught my eye in the second hand bookshop and it was cheap. anyway, this book kind of has the same attitude towards will, that it can be trained like a muscle. it even has a bunch of (retarded/useless) exercises to perform out of pure will.

and these are actually the not-very-bullshit parts of the book ;-) i wonder why i spent 7 euros on it (cause that was CHEAP! lol)

anyway, what i found through introspection, is that my will seems more like a pool i can draw the will out of to perform tasks. it gets replenished from somewhere, slowly (i dunno exactly from where, unfortunately), but if it's empty, or near empty, it becomes nearly impossible to carry out anything but the most mundane or distracting tasks. i cant push myself beyond that, on my own volition, but if i somehow construct my environment so there is only one way to go (most often a boss, friend or gf looking over my shoulder to make sure i'm working), something breaks, and i crash down. i do not recommend this to anybody, if you ever notice something like that happening with any kind of frequency, take a break, take a few weeks off, it's a lot better than the year you're going to need to recover otherwise.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

LMNO

Crowley.

Just wanted to name drop a guy who developed a lot of techniques for strengthening the Will.

hunter s.durden

Quote from: Cain on January 25, 2008, 12:40:16 PM
I've heard Hunter's willpower is actually so powerful it is a semi-conscious entity in its own right, like a Tibetan tulpa. 

I call it "PD.com".
This space for rent.

Jasper

Quote from: hunter s.durden on January 25, 2008, 12:04:14 AMI disagree with the second part part though. I find that when I maintain my discipline in all aspects at once, it increases as a whole. An example might be that even though I am trying to quit smoking, at the same time I maintain a strict diet or work schedules.
Is that just me, or does anyone find that to be true?

It is true, but the "give a little" technique is to be applied when you are on the verge of losing a willpower struggle.

Diseris

Poker to strengthen will!

It was fun to take their money and point out how stupid it was for me to have ever smoked and supported tobacco (while those around me smoked).

Split first in the game for $225!

You didn't enjoy it you never believed it there won't be a refund you'll never go back - TMBG

Mourning Star

I quit in july...

I decided to quit
smoked the last 2 in a pack
and was done with it.

no problem...

You simply walk away.

Jasper

That was, while constructive and impressive, blood-stoppingly fickle as well.

Mourning Star

Quote from: Felix on February 02, 2008, 05:49:19 AM
That was, while constructive and impressive, blood-stoppingly fickle as well.

*shrugs*