Please take a stand against our terrible values

Main Menu

oh shit. ECH wins all the kitchens.

Started by East Coast Hustle, January 24, 2008, 11:51:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

East Coast Hustle

OK, get this:

(serves 3-4)

1 lb. fillet of hake or similar firm-fleshed white fish (thicker fish is better; haddock or pollock would work better than flounder or sole)
One medium yellow onion
One shallot
rind of one small (or half a large) lemon
two strips thick-cut bacon or 2 oz. diced pancetta. DO NOT use regular thin-cut bacon. or I will cut your face.
one stick salted butter
one pint heavy cream
sea salt
black pepper
dried tarragon
dried thyme
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1 cup cream sherry
1/4 cup pulp-free orange juice
parsley

rinse and dry the fish.

melt 1/2 to 2/3 stick of butter in a saucepan over very low heat. finely grate the shallot and add it to the butter, along with the grated lemon rind.

once the butter has just begun to bubble, add a pinch of tarragon and a pinch of thyme. stir and let bubble for one more minute, then remove from heat and add two pinches of black pepper and a pinch of sea salt. stir again.

spoon a couple tablespoons of the butter sauce into a glass baking pan. put the fish in the pan, then pour the rest of the butter over the fish evenly so that it is coated. cut the onion in half top to bottom, then cut into VERY thin half-slices (if they're too thick they won't brown in the oven). arrange onion slices in pan around fish, but not covering fish. put 6 or 8 dots of butter around the pan on the onions. preheat oven to 350F.

chop the bacon crosswise into thin strips. render bacon in a pan on low heat until crispy. remove from pan and place on paper towels to drain. pour most of the bacon fat into the pan with the fish. Put the fish in the oven. Should take about 20-25 minutes to cook, depending on thickness.

turn heat up to medium-high and deglaze the pan with sherry, then add the OJ. Reduce by half. Add two big pinches of black pepper.

turn heat down to medium-low and begin whisking in the cream slowly. Once all the cream is whisked in, add the cayenne pepper and turn the heat down to low. Allow to reduce while fish is cooking. Sauce should reduce by about 1/2.

once the fish is done, cut portions and plate in the center of a deep plate. arrange the pan-fried onions around the top and bottom of the portion. Spoon sauce over fish and drizzle over onions. sprinkle the bacon crisps over the fish and chopped parsley over the onions.

serve, enjoy, and expect congratulatory blowjobs from other impressed diners.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Jasper

Well done!  Copied and saved that for later.  :D

Darth Cupcake

GOD DAMMIT I NEED A NEW BOYFRIEND

The boy eats fish, but is otherwise meat-free. Same for my roomie's boyfriend.

My roomie eats meat, but refuses to eat any seafood.

OH COME THE FUCK ON PEOPLE I CAN'T COOK FOR ANY OF YOU.

I'm gonna go visit my dad and make him a delicious dinner. Thanks for the recipe, ECH, here's hoping anyone I know is willing to eat it. :cry:
Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

LMNO

That's a good one.  I'll have to try that out.

Sir Squid Diddimus

can you use white wine instead of cream sherry?

trippinprincezz13

That sounds awesome. Don't cook fish a lot, mostly cuz I never think of it, but I might have to try it this weekend. Got most of the ingredients already, and the ones I don't are relatively inexpensive.
There's no sun shine coming through her ass, if you are sure of your penis.

Paranoia is a disease unto itself, and may I add, the person standing next to you, may not be who they appear to be, so take precaution.

If there is no order in your sexual life it may be difficult to stay with a whole skin.

Darth Cupcake

Fish is one of my favorite things to cook. I can do all kinds of sexy things with tuna and/or salmon. I'm trying to expand my skillz to mollusks.

You 'n' Suu should come to Boston and we can cook, get shit-faced, and jake the city. :D
Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

East Coast Hustle

Protip: I am available as a personal chef on weekends between now and late April, and my (usually exorbitant) fee can be made very reasonable (read: free except for the cost of ingredients) for anyone who has crash space for me and the missus for a weekend in the city.

also, the OP might be the best dish I have ever invented.

ECH,
would like to have invented Osso Bucco, but didn't

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Cthulhu's Squidling on January 25, 2008, 05:08:53 PM

absolutely not.

no, no, no, no.

ECH,
definitely no

trippinprincezz13

I'm sure this is a stupid question, but since I don't know a lot about wines, what's the difference between sherry and cream sherry?

Paranoia is a disease unto itself, and may I add, the person standing next to you, may not be who they appear to be, so take precaution.

If there is no order in your sexual life it may be difficult to stay with a whole skin.

DarkStar

Quote from: trippinprincezz13 on January 25, 2008, 08:45:25 PM
I'm sure this is a stupid question, but since I don't know a lot about wines, what's the difference between sherry and cream sherry?

I hope this helps.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sherry

You will have to scroll down a little bit to find the definition for cream sherry.  I really like sherry.   
Freedom should never be taken for granted.  When you give yours away, you give mine.  Fuck you.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Sir Squid Diddimus

Quote from: East Coast Hustle on January 25, 2008, 08:20:02 PM
Quote from: Cthulhu's Squidling on January 25, 2008, 05:08:53 PM

absolutely not.

no, no, no, no.

ECH,
definitely no

[kelso from that 70's show]

FIIIIIIIIIIIIINE!! god.

[/kelso from that 70's show]

trippinprincezz13

Quote from: DarkStar on January 25, 2008, 10:55:43 PM
Quote from: trippinprincezz13 on January 25, 2008, 08:45:25 PM

I hope this helps.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sherry

You will have to scroll down a little bit to find the definition for cream sherry.  I really like sherry.   

Thanks. If I'm gonna try this out, wanted to make sure I'm using the right ingredients. A quick search of cream sherry when I was still at work brought up mostly places to buy it, without any real description.

Sir Squid Diddimus

m'kay well,

i made your fish as per your recipe and i must say

ECH wins all teh kitchenz.
very tastey. the old man and child loved it as well.
well done sir.