News:

Don't get me wrong, I greatly appreciate the fact that you're at least putting effort into sincerely arguing your points. It's an argument I've enjoyed having. It's just that your points are wrong and your reasons for thinking they're right are stupid.

Main Menu

Coffee.

Started by Triple Zero, January 26, 2008, 01:29:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cramulus

good call. when I was in Costa Rica I picked up several pounds of really high quality coffee and have been sitting on that for a while. I didn't even know what I was missing. Unfortunately, now I'm like "Folgers? :vom:"

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

I like coffee and I live in Ohio. I have a french press, a Mr. Coffee Drip pot, a little Cup Cone thingy and in my opinion coffee is best when...

part of the Erisian Sacrement, Her Holy Trinity of The Java, The Jameson and the Holy Smoke. Whatever form it takes is ok with me, including IV drip of thick New York style sludge and that weak shit they drink in Iowa.

Oh Great Bean, give us this day your Power of the Dark Roast,
Bathe us in the Odur of your Sacred Scent.
Let They who have Eyes, get the sleep out!
Jameson, the Sacred Element of Fire lies in your Golden Hue
Sear our throats and purify our intestines.
Let They who have Chasers drink!
We say this in the influence of the Holy Smoke,
may they bring us succor from the aches and pains,
wakefulness before Office Hours
and the occasional Whisky Face.
AWoman
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Cain

That is exactly the problem with good coffee - it makes it very hard to go back to the cheap stuff.  I had withdrawal symptoms until Xmas day because of that.

Triple Zero

this is true. some good quality espresso coffee somehow made my way, i just made regular coffee out of it, but it was very good indeed.

in fact, the red "markus" brand you see on the photo is the cheapest stuff you can get from the Aldi, and it's definitely less good than the "euroshopper", another cheap brand from another supermarket.

the aldi also got a slightly more expensive gold markus brand, which probably is better quality coffee, i gotta check if it's cheaper by the pound than the euroshopper variety. but this red brand will simply not do.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Cainad (dec.)

Locally brewed coffee in Hawaii is equivalent to drinking Beelzebub's poomp. Allow me to explain:

The roast that people are accustomed to here is known as "Pele's Menstruation," which essentially involves blackening the beans until they can be used to make charcoal drawings. This is the First Sin against Decent Coffee.

The air is warm and often very humid, and not everyone is diligent about keeping their coffee grounds stored in a cool, dry place. This is the Second Sin against Decent Coffee.

The coffee is then brewed by hastily squeezing some hot water through some pitifully small amount of the ground beans (I believe it is somewhere between two and eight beans' worth of grounds, but this may be an overestimation). This is the Third and Final Sin against Decent Coffee.

Result?

WHO WANTS SOME ASH-FLAVORED WATER?!

And the Kona isn't any cheaper here than it is anywhere else.

Darth Cupcake

There are a couple of REALLY good coffee establishments around my area that serve such delicious espresso. I am not generally a fan of drip coffee--I have a machine with an auto-timer, so I have drip coffee in the morning because it wakes me up and keeps me warm en route to the bus, but when it comes to drinking for pleasure, I do love some nice delicious fresh espresso, made properly.

I will have to experiment with your method, Trip0, cause that sounds like it could be quite satisfying.
Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

Suu

Paging Richter to this thread, plz...Richter to this thread...

Richter's Espresso-thing : DO NOT WANT. I hallucinated for about 3 hours of heart racing caffeinated fascination until crashing into my desk. Hard.

I also had 2 cups of the stuff.  :mrgreen:
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Jasper

In related news, I applied at Peet's coffee.  On the application question: What is your favorite coffee or tea?  How often do you drink coffee? I replied, "I drink coffee every day.  My preference is Medaglia D'Oro espresso blend, which I steep in a glass masonry jar with a cloth sack.  My favorite tea has to be Yorshire Gold, due to it's full flavour and low tannic acid."

Richter

Quote from: Suu Fett on January 28, 2008, 03:37:56 PM

Richter's Espresso-thing : DO NOT WANT. I hallucinated for about 3 hours of heart racing caffeinated fascination until crashing into my desk. Hard.

As Leln sagely pointed out last time we chatted, most folks over here do not drink coffee for the flavor.  It's the caffine.
Granted, I can make espresso taste OK (not fantastic), but that would defeat the reason of making it in the first place.  The goal is to be awake, manic, and indifferent to EVERYTHING but your goal.  Side effects are nothing to the productivity of a well channeled dose. 

This is only work thou, for the "Friendly Neighborhood Mentat" effect.  At home I only have tea.
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Suu

Quote from: Richter on January 28, 2008, 05:02:04 PM

As Leln sagely pointed out last time we chatted, most folks over here do not drink coffee for the flavor.  It's the caffine.
Granted, I can make espresso taste OK (not fantastic), but that would defeat the reason of making it in the first place.  The goal is to be awake, manic, and indifferent to EVERYTHING but your goal.  Side effects are nothing to the productivity of a well channeled dose. 

This is only work thou, for the "Friendly Neighborhood Mentat" effect.  At home I only have tea.

As I remember correctly...we WERE spouting a lot of Dune quotes that day. We only talked about the mind-bending intelligent stuff BEFORE the morning cup.

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Sir Squid Diddimus

I would really like some coffee now.
But I don't have time to make any.
Fart.

Richter

Quote from: Suu Fett on January 28, 2008, 06:10:45 PM

As I remember correctly...we WERE spouting a lot of Dune quotes that day. We only talked about the mind-bending intelligent stuff BEFORE the morning cup.

Yeah.  Like the day we figured out how to make a fake wormhole or build planets form scratch.
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Suu

Quote from: Cthulhu's Squidling on January 28, 2008, 06:16:33 PM
I would really like some coffee now.
But I don't have time to make any.
Fart.

Nor do you have a decent Dunkin' Donuts ANYWHERE in Central Florida. Starschmucks yes. DD, nope. (Not even on 192. I've looked.)

But there IS one in Clearwater off of Belcher. I'd recommend it if you want the 1.5 hour drive, the next closest one that I remember is in St. Petersburg on the corner of 9th St Dr. Martin Luther King Jr Blvd N. and 62nd Ave N.

but if you're lucky, maybe you can find one in Lakeland or Daytona! Drive, woman, drive!

Quote from: Richter on January 28, 2008, 06:18:17 PM
Quote from: Suu Fett on January 28, 2008, 06:10:45 PM

Yeah.  Like the day we figured out how to make a fake wormhole or build planets form scratch.

I have no idea how that conversation started, but it seemed like it would work at the time. Then we had coffee and had to actually sit at our desks instead of staring down the rotunda at the concierge for no reason.

Richter

Oh, the ideas WILL work.  I'm quite confident in them.  The problem is the materials.
(Regardless of the feasability of a toroid singularity, the devices needed to artificialy generate a singularity would be weaponised and hose us all first.)

Suu

Because it's more important to be able to kill people with cool shit than be able to travel through time.  :|

Silly humans.