News:

There's a sucker born every minute... and you are right on time.

Main Menu

How full of shit is Peter Levenda?

Started by Cain, February 01, 2008, 11:04:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

That's not a rhetorical question, by the way, its an honest enquiry.

For those who don't know, Levenda was the man behind the Simon Necronomicon, the first faked version of the book bearing Lovecraft's name.  He naturally denies it (and more interestingly, denies it is the same Necronomicon Lovecraft wrote about, but is the book he took the name from), and has spun an interesting tale about spies and monks and international theft which is currently being made into a book, which will probably be entertaining reading once it is done.

But he also wrote some apparently serious books, such as the Unholy Alliance series, which documents the role of the occult in Nazi Germany, the German transplants from Operation Paperclip who went to work for the CIA and the role of the occult in the history of America.  I was reading an interview he did with Tracy Twyman, and he certainly seemd to know his stuff.  And then he ruined it by mentioning a Nazi-Voodoo-ism (possibly Obeah or Hoodoo) mix going on in Chile, which, while theoretically possible, is stretching credibility a lot.

So, has anyone read the guy, or have any knowledge of him?  How seriously should he be taken?  He clearly does impressive amounts of research, but he's got a fair bit of mischief in him as well, so I wonder...

Mangrove

I think this is the same guy who made some tenuous connections to prove that a former Pope was a member of the OTO.

I don't know how true that it is. Makes me laugh to think about,  however.

Not familiar with this guy's work beyond browsing a little through his recent 'Papal Magic' book.
What makes it so? Making it so is what makes it so.

Thurnez Isa

Quote from: Cain on February 01, 2008, 11:04:00 PM
But he also wrote some apparently serious books, such as the Unholy Alliance series, which documents the role of the occult in Nazi Germany, the German transplants from Operation Paperclip who went to work for the CIA and the role of the occult in the history of America.  I was reading an interview he did with Tracy Twyman, and he certainly seemd to know his stuff.  And then he ruined it by mentioning a Nazi-Voodoo-ism (possibly Obeah or Hoodoo) mix going on in Chile, which, while theoretically possible, is stretching credibility a lot.

that about says it all
his book unholy Alliance is good enough to read
as he at least knows all the main characters, expecially those predating the Society of Thule
but he does tend to take theories and jump to conclusions quickly
expecially with Nazi involvement in Central America

I occassionaly have read some of his blog in passing interest
http://sinisterforces.info/blog/index.php?/authors/2-Peter-Levenda
but not enough to really comment
Through me the way to the city of woe, Through me the way to everlasting pain, Through me the way among the lost.
Justice moved my maker on high.
Divine power made me, Wisdom supreme, and Primal love.
Before me nothing was but things eternal, and eternal I endure.
Abandon all hope, you who enter here.

Dante

Cain

Ooh, bookmarked.

Central America and Naziism is an odd topic anyway.  Very hard to find serious research on what went on down there....but yeah, if he's gonna make the assertions, I hope he has at least plausible reasons for doing so.  It'd be disappointing if Unholy Alliance turned out to be another half true, half fictional account from Levenda.

Faust

Bump, this guy must like googling himself, he is the top search for the forum this month with 120 click throughs to the forum
Sleepless nights at the chateau

minuspace

What pisses me off is having to deal with all of the cognitive dissonance this guy generates. Feels like any truth gets obfuscated for the sake of sensationalism. Then I'm stuck arguing with people about how a stealth post WW-I- (yes, 1, just last night) NAZI traversal of N.America is both insufficient and mostly incorrect to explain anything.

Even if the author in question may not have made that specific claim, he might as well have. Initially I thought it was all fun and games. Now not so much. Even if the material is not directly toxic to you, it can be once it passes through someone else which which you come in contact: victimization by proxy.

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

If he wrote the Fakeronomicon that's his credibility gone right there
Praise NHGH! For the tribulation of all sentient beings.

a plague on both your houses -Mercutio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrTGgpWmdZQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVWd7nPjJH8

It is an unfortunate fact that every man who seeks to disseminate knowledge must contend not only against ignorance itself, but against false instruction as well. No sooner do we deem ourselves free from a particularly gross superstition, than we are confronted by some enemy to learning who would plunge us back into the darkness -H.P.Lovecraft

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster -Nietzsche

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHhrZgojY1Q

You are a fluke of the universe, and whether you can hear it of not the universe is laughing behind your back -Deteriorata

Don't use the email address in my profile, I lost the password years ago

minuspace

There should still be a black-box warning on the cover regarding the dangers of confusing primary through tertiary sources, I proclaim, from my extensive repertoire of hearsay on said author. Others are clearly not so exceptionally discerning. My condolences for the passing of his relative Lionel, survived by second-cousin Sylvia O'Donnell

Cramulus

Quote from: Faust on May 29, 2017, 10:51:27 PM
Bump, this guy must like googling himself, he is the top search for the forum this month with 120 click throughs to the forum

If I google Peter Levenda, this thread is the fourth hit. I wonder if he was mentioned on TV or something?

For you people stopping in from google - this is a much better thread about Peter Levenda

Also, look at this guy:

Eater of Clowns

Going by his eyes, I'm going to say full of shit, but completely believing it.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

THE QLIPHITISER

Very

Very much, and most people don't even realize that the Simon Necronomicon was written by him. To add to that, half the people that believe it's legit, haven't even read Lovecraft  :lulz:
Follower of the 'Kacalinstanphia' branch of Discordianism, which emphasizes a hyper-meta-doctrine of parachaos field theory in relation to dancing submariner zombies, in accordance with Eris' decent into the megazone of the universal mind - which cannot be seen but is felt by all.

0              5              7              11:11                12                      13                     23                 69                        93                666                777                       ∞ / ∞

Everything is a lie, nothing is relative

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: St Accelerated Evolution on January 16, 2018, 10:12:47 AM

Very

Very much, and most people don't even realize that the Simon Necronomicon was written by him. To add to that, half the people that believe it's legit, haven't even read Lovecraft  :lulz:

Book of Worms and the 50 Names of Marduk were fun. If he made those up... wow.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

THE QLIPHITISER

Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on January 17, 2018, 04:52:29 PM
Book of Worms and the 50 Names of Marduk were fun. If he made those up... wow.

One word: Plagiarism

Done in a way that is convincing to Lovecraftianites but otherwise not. There are parts of the book are derived from rituals that do work (with Cthulhu inserted in), but it is the kind of book that Occultists scoff at and that superstitious paranormal people think is legitimately real.  :lulz:
Follower of the 'Kacalinstanphia' branch of Discordianism, which emphasizes a hyper-meta-doctrine of parachaos field theory in relation to dancing submariner zombies, in accordance with Eris' decent into the megazone of the universal mind - which cannot be seen but is felt by all.

0              5              7              11:11                12                      13                     23                 69                        93                666                777                       ∞ / ∞

Everything is a lie, nothing is relative

Cain

That was actually one of the things I was wondering about, however many years ago when I posted this.  The Simon Necrocomicon has had a lot of claimed authors, after all.

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

Quote from: Cain on February 01, 2008, 11:04:00 PMFor those who don't know, Levenda was the man behind the Simon Necronomicon, the first faked version of the book bearing Lovecraft's name.

I've read that. It's like the writer wasn;t even trying to make the contents Necronomicon-like. It isn't even half-assed; it's maybe quarter-assed at best

Quote from: Space Adventures Of Christ on January 16, 2018, 10:12:47 AMTo add to that, half the people that believe it's legit, haven't even read Lovecraft  :lulz:

The baffling thing about this is that the other half have. You'd think they'd be familiar enough to see that it's clearly unrelated.
Praise NHGH! For the tribulation of all sentient beings.

a plague on both your houses -Mercutio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrTGgpWmdZQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVWd7nPjJH8

It is an unfortunate fact that every man who seeks to disseminate knowledge must contend not only against ignorance itself, but against false instruction as well. No sooner do we deem ourselves free from a particularly gross superstition, than we are confronted by some enemy to learning who would plunge us back into the darkness -H.P.Lovecraft

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster -Nietzsche

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHhrZgojY1Q

You are a fluke of the universe, and whether you can hear it of not the universe is laughing behind your back -Deteriorata

Don't use the email address in my profile, I lost the password years ago