News:

Christians *have* to sin.
If they don't, it's like Christ died for nothing.

Main Menu

When does a human cease to be a human?

Started by Jasper, February 02, 2008, 11:57:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

Comes under disability and employment law, and thus how those less well off in society are treated, especially if that causes an "inconvenience" for others, versus efficiency and the need of lack of distractions for certain jobs.

Triple Zero

what if somebody *thinks* they're a chicken, they really believe it?

useless, crazy, insane, but still human, right?
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Cramulus

It's silly to list the criteria that makes someone human. We all know what a human is. Its you and it's me and it's even that woman on the bus who thinks she's a dog. But there are tons of exceptions to every rule you can think of. Again, it would be silly / impossible to list all of them.

for example
(like cain said) if you list thought or self awarenessas a human trait, we filter out people in comas.

Is there going to be a point at which humans are no longer humans?
I'd say no, because becoming inhuman will be something humans can do.

For example, if we learn how to put brains inside, say, a Dell tower case and plug a monitor into it, we can't say that's not a human. Because humans can now do that too.

Paralell argument:
Hey Cramulus, if you're really a pirate, why don't you dress and talk like a pirate?

Listen dumbass, this is how pirates dress and talk. I'm a pirate so anything I do is what a pirate does.

Random Probability

Quote from: Felix on February 05, 2008, 04:40:03 PM
Depends on how you want to treat it.  If you had a robotic arm that was noisy, people wouldn't want to hire you because they'd think it'd frighten customers.  For example.

Probably not an issue.  If integrated Type II cyborgs were commonplace, they might think your noisy arm was just ghetto as opposed to "frightening".  It would be like wearing thrift store clothes, although not as cool.  Also (at least in the US) it would be illegal to discriminate because they have laws about that kind of stuff.  I think it's the "Americans with No Abilities Act" or somesuch.

(*cue "Trees" by Rush*)

Bharlion

Actually I have a picture of a gentleman who believes himself to be a dog.

So I guess by my logic he thinking himself makes him a dog for all psychological intents and purposes. but not biologically or spiritually a dog.

Unless he was on mushrooms and trying to channel lassie.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Okay, why not. Didn't want to die alone anyways.

Jasper

Hahaha!  I dub that man Saint Woof Woof!  :lulz:

Cramulus

Jasper

If it is, he has to change his name to Saint Woof Woof.

LMNO

Jasper

Nice choker.  I dunno, sometimes humor has to be a little arbitrary to work.

LMNO

I mean, it's a fairly accurate representation, but how the hell did he know?

AFK

Of course you realize this means Nigel is going to be hot for you.   :wink:
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Jasper

He's a journalist, goddamnit.  He does not reveal his sources.

LMNO

Jasper