News:

By the power of lulz, I, while living, have conquered the internets.

Main Menu

When does a human cease to be a human?

Started by Jasper, February 02, 2008, 11:57:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

Bharlion

Correctamundo. I never reveal my sources. A little bird brought me that photo.
Okay, why not. Didn't want to die alone anyways.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Reginald Ret

i haven't seen the ethics point of view so here goes me

"The important feature of this account of what it takes to be a person, namely that a person is a creature capable of valuing its own existence, is that it also makes plausible an explanation of the nature of the wrong done to such a being when it is deprived of existence."

blatantly stolen from 'Wonderwoman and Superman The ethics of human biotechnology'  this was about abortion originally but i thought it was also applicable here.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

DORADA

DORADA

Dysfunctional Cunt

I don't think there is anything that can stop us from being human.  No more than anything can changes us from being mammals to reptiles.  It is all in the genetics.

Now as for how we think, what we think we are, should be or could be.  How we feel and all that.

Isn't that really what is up for discussion, thoughts and emotions? 

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

We can define a human a thousand ways and it will still be general and have exceptions.

As a political position, cybernetics will probably be extremely unlikely to change what we define as "human". We already have people with prosthetic limbs, hearts etc. We have people who can perform better than their human counterparts. One guy was recently told he couldn't participate in the normal Olympics because his prosthetic legs gave him an unfair advantage. They didn't consider him nonhuman though.

I doubt that mutation ala XMen will ever occur, so I don't think that's an issue, but existing birth defects don't seem to make people non-human.

Genetically, its pretty straightforward.
Philosophically/Morally/Ethically ... it all depends on the pattern you're trying to match.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

DORADA

Te contesto primero en español y luego en mi mal inglés para que entiendas mis conceptos. Respeto tu punto de viista en lo que se refiere a formar parte de la humanidad , interactuar significa ser generoso ,solidario, fraterno, pero la realidad y la sobrevivencia tambien nos obliga a ser depredadores de nuestra propia especie lo que no nos hace inhumanos.
Tenemos también los sentidos para llamarnos humanos, y la conciencia , y la inteligencia, la capacidad de elegir por reflexion y no por instinto, pero existen personas psicópatas, existen locos inofensivos, existen autistas, y personas que educan su voluntad para que sus emociones no interfieran con sus decisiones.
Yo pienso que visto de una manera más general se puede plantear ;somos humanos ,no objetos , porque tenemos vida ;entonces todo lo que es vivo es humano? no, pero estamos enlazados con otras formas de vida porque nos sustentan o porque conviven con nosotros en qué momento dejamos de ser humanos entonces ? sólo  en el momento en que la vida se nos va y ya no necesitamos de la tierra y sus formas de vida no damos  no nos dan, ya no somos nada , el resto son sólo grados de humanidad, mejor ser humano o peor ser humano, la naturaleza y nuestra unión con ella nos haría más humanos que nuestra unión con nuestros pares, no podemos prescindir de ella eso es lo que nos hace humanos desde que fuimos creados.
:)

Triple Zero

godskolere dat neem je terug over mn moeder.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

hooplala

"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Reginald Ret

hahaha 000 that will not be translated well by any translation software :P
i was wondering if it would be fun to teach the foreigners here(damn you allochtonen!) to curse like a dutchman.

example: krijg de vinkahkanker aan je linkertepel jij geestelijk gehandicapt cliniclown, stik in de pus die uit je onstoken cholera-anus druipt!

or something else including diseases, ill leave the translation of that to volunteers :P
acording to researchTM the dutch are the only ones to use diseases for cursing.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Triple Zero

:lol:

diseases are the best to curse with, IMO. next up are body parts. diseased bodyparts.

i wouldn't even know where to start translating "vinkahkanker" :D cancer to the .. what?

and yes, i taught some of them the word "schurfthekel" (another disease + hate) yesterday.
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

Reginald Ret

vinkah: the Hagueish pronunciation of 'vinken'
as in finches, you know the birdies darwin supposedly studied.

it doesn't have to make sense, as long as it contains lots of hard sounds, the K is good(hence the popularity of kanker!)

Triple Zero

i knew that, i just wondered what's so offensive about a bird :)

but you're right about the K, 9 out of 10 dutch comedians agree that words with a K in it are generally more funny than words without a K.