News:

In my heart I knew that rotten testicles and inflamed penises were on the way.

Main Menu

Jimbo Wales and the Law of Fives

Started by Cain, February 05, 2008, 03:13:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

Earlier this year, I was privileged to go "on tour" with Jimmy "Jimbo" Wales, the founder and public face of Wikipedia, as we crisscrossed the nation, talking to educators in Adelaide, Perth, Sydney and Melbourne. Everywhere we went, people asked the same question: why is Wikipedia such a success, while my wiki languishes? What do you need to achieve critical mass? The answer, Jimmy said, is five people. Five individuals dedicated to an altruistic sharing of collective intelligence should be enough to produce a flowering similar to Wikipedia. Jimbo has learned, through experience, that the "minor" language versions of Wikipedia (languages with less than 10 million native speakers), need at least five steady contributors to become self-sustaining. In the many wikis Jimbo oversees through his commercial arm, Wikia, he's noted the same phenomenon time and again. Five people mark the tipping point between a hobby and a nascent hyperintelligence.

http://blog.futurestreetconsulting.com/?p=41

LMNO

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

So Prometheus gave us fire and Eris gave us Wikipedia?

Makes total sense to me.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Bharlion

Al Gore Gave us the internets. Nevar Forget.
Okay, why not. Didn't want to die alone anyways.

hooplala

"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman