News:

Your innocence proves nothing.

Main Menu

Actual PD discussion: About that Chao...

Started by LMNO, February 05, 2008, 03:51:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jasper

Quote from: Cainad on February 05, 2008, 05:27:36 PM
I support the use of a 7-pointed star, because it looks funky and it shows the world that even we Discordians can tell the Law of Fives to go suck on a toilet brush if we so choose.

I like it.  Hell, why not the n-pointed star?  That'll show 'em.

Triple Zero

i like the 7 pointed star too, it's novel.

(right? isn't it?)

though my point about never being able to make a new symbol as popular as the old Chao, stands
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Symbols need to bring a concept to mind in order to be useful. A Black Swan would work fro people that have read the book... but would appear meaningless (I think) to mosbunal other people... the Chao, at least gets the balance thing across right away (though I still wonder if that's the best metaphor).

Also, I think a lot depends on what message you've encoded in the symbol. The Sacred Chao has an visual element for each of the pieces that make up the philosophical statement. The 8 pointed arrow, for example shows "all possible paths"... again typifying a philosophical statement through the symbol. Does a black swan represent the same sort of thing as the Chao, or does it represent the unknown/unknowable variable? That is, the swan may make a good Discordian symbol, but I don't see it relating to the Chao, as much as a symbol of its own to represent the Black Swan Effect... even then, maybe we don't want to crib quite so directly from a current book... but then maybe we do.

A new symbol I've been thinking of recently, might be a teapot. Particularly a Celestial Teapot... Dawkins and his fanatics love to rant about Russel's  teapot (thus they use a silly argument to close off lots of ?!?!?!?!?!?! options). Recently, my response to their statement of teapots, is that Eris is well known for making 'tea' out of her Five Fingered Herb and may well have left her kettle on the far side of the Sun.

Could a Celestial Teapot be worked into a symbol which might promote the idea of being OK with Not Knowing?

- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Cramulus

we should use the cross as our symbol.

or maybe a star of david

no! the scientology symbol

Cain

Cramulus

I dunno. I don't mind the chao. I think some other Discordian icons up there would be nice

-st gulik
-five fingered hand
-maybe some sort of goatse reference.

right now it's those two guys from the Don Hertzfeldt film and nobody seems to mind.
I don't see what all the hullabaloo is about using the Chao.

Cain

More symbols is better, because then you can pick and choose more.

Mangrove

Quote from: triple zero on February 05, 2008, 04:45:32 PM

the 8 pointed star is also a traditional symbol from Chaos Magick.

quoted for delicious irony that would annoy Chaos madgjikians.

But we're ANTI-TRADITIONS!!!  :argh!:
What makes it so? Making it so is what makes it so.

hooplala

DON'T GO FUCKING WIF MY PENTAL AND POMAL NOW!!
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Cain

LMNO

Mangrove

Quote from: LMNO on February 05, 2008, 07:45:05 PM
SURPRISE GRAILSECHS?

:lol:

And more seriously - yeah I think some new symbols would be cool.

Richter

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Mangrove

As an aside:

What type of 7 pointed star are you suggesting? Only because the 7 pointed star logo has associations to Crowley & his AA logo (Babalon and all that).

Richter

Just about every symbol out there will have some association.  If y'all are going to attempt the cat - hearding of making one, getting a basic idea and embelishing never hurts.

Also, represent what you want it to be associated with: it stands for you, you don't stand for it.

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat