News:

MysticWicks endorsement: "I've always, always regarded the Discordians as being people who chose to be Discordians because they can't be arsed to actually do any work to develop a relationship with a specific deity, they were too wishy-washy to choose just one path, and they just want to be a mishmash of everything and not have to work at learning about rituals or traditions or any such thing as that."

Main Menu

Fuck Advertising

Started by Subtract Eight!, January 06, 2008, 12:19:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Ok Netaungrot,

I am gonna take a mulligan, declare myself a Cosmic Schmuck and go do more research. I think I may have overstepped the usage of the word and probably confused myself in the assumption.

Fnord.

Also, I still think my life as a JW included brainwashing and didn't include stress positions or anything of the sort... just a constant steady mantra of memes from birth onward...

but maybe that's something else.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Iron Sulfide

i think the argument is loaded with doublespeak.

brainwashing isn't a bad term. it's a blunt one. colloquially, it is meant as One Thing, a priori, because that is the simple quick reference for the term.

i feel similarly on this topic as George Carlin feels about the term Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, v. "Shell Shock."

well, truth be told, what most people acquire is more accurately called "PTSD", but it removes the pain associated with the term that Shell Shock has. Even if the person didn't get shelled into a nervous breakdown from mortar fire.

what happens is the brain gets "washed" of patterns, and insulated with new ones. this can happen shortly with drastic means, or gradually with subtle means.

already tl;dr, i know...and redundant.

in short, communication, ultimately, is the larger whole, and "brainwashing" and "advertising" are terms associated with coercive communication. "instilling" and "rearing" and "instruction" are terms associated with positive communication.

shit, we're basically a group think brainwashing machine. we're just designed to fuck with the other cogs around us. double speak.
Ya' stupid Yank.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Prater Festwo on February 05, 2008, 05:56:02 AM

brainwashing isn't a bad term. it's a blunt one. colloquially, it is meant as One Thing, a priori, because that is the simple quick reference for the term.

i feel similarly on this topic as George Carlin feels about the term Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, v. "Shell Shock."

well, truth be told, what most people acquire is more accurately called "PTSD", but it removes the pain associated with the term that Shell Shock has. Even if the person didn't get shelled into a nervous breakdown from mortar fire.

what happens is the brain gets "washed" of patterns, and insulated with new ones. this can happen shortly with drastic means, or gradually with subtle means.

in short, communication, ultimately, is the larger whole, and "brainwashing" and "advertising" are terms associated with coercive communication. "instilling" and "rearing" and "instruction" are terms associated with positive communication.

shit, we're basically a group think brainwashing machine. we're just designed to fuck with the other cogs around us. double speak.

That's sort of how I felt, but I think I'm losing the argument.

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Quote from: Prater Festwo on February 05, 2008, 05:56:02 AM

1 - Who's argument is loaded with doublespeak? Which terms are doublespeak?

2 - No term is bad, it's all in how it is used.

3/4 - What most people acquire from what? I don't see the relevance here.

5/6 - Yes, redundant.

7 - People associate their identity with ideas that come into their head. This doesn't make the association valid. If you think advertising is indeed coercive I'd like to know how you came to that conclusion, how you are defining your terms, and what evidence you can supply to support your claims.

8 - Who is a group think brainwashing machine? Humans? Maybe, but that's a different can of worms.
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

Quote from: Ratatosk on February 05, 2008, 02:08:57 AM
Ok Netaungrot,

I am gonna take a mulligan, declare myself a Cosmic Schmuck and go do more research. I think I may have overstepped the usage of the word and probably confused myself in the assumption.

Fnord.

Also, I still think my life as a JW included brainwashing and didn't include stress positions or anything of the sort... just a constant steady mantra of memes from birth onward...

but maybe that's something else.

Maybe. I certainly can't make that call.

Parenting seems to require some amount of coercion, so when does it become brainwashing? I'd say it would have to involve extreme social isolation and emotional abuse for the purpose of aligning a child's beliefs with the parent's.

There's also a distinction between brainwashing and internalization. One can't call their parent's behavior brainwashing merely because they absorbed a lot of it growing up and later disagreed with it. There has to be a particular abusive element tied to the beliefs as well.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

So if I were to say that I spent my entire time in school without any afterschool activities, no school friends (since they weren't allowed to come to my house, nor I to theirs), had ONLY Jehovah's Witnesses to hang out with, wasn't allowed to examine other religions or philosophies outside the context of learning how to beat then in debate... and inculcated with the belief that deviation from The Truth (what JW's call their belief system) would expose us to Satan and demonic possesion... would that start to qualify?

Yeah, that's brainwashing in my book.

That kind of experience is just not comparable to the piddling appeals of advertising.

Iron Sulfide

i'm just saying that it's a semantic argument, and little else.

and the bits about PTSD we an analogy. and the psychological trauma that causes a person such emotional problems is well documented, and can stem from a whole host of traumas that a person, for one reason or another, in some cases can't handle.

as for the rest, i don't offer shit for evidence, because it's my opinion.
Ya' stupid Yank.

Quote from: Prater Festwo on February 07, 2008, 04:10:26 AM
i'm just saying that it's a semantic argument, and little else.

and the bits about PTSD we an analogy. and the psychological trauma that causes a person such emotional problems is well documented, and can stem from a whole host of traumas that a person, for one reason or another, in some cases can't handle.

as for the rest, i don't offer shit for evidence, because it's my opinion.

East Coast Hustle

Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

East Coast Hustle

I was just busting balls, dude. I didn't want you to pull the pic.

ECH,
was actually hoping that meme would spread

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Quote from: East Coast Hustle on February 10, 2008, 02:15:21 PM
I was just busting balls, dude. I didn't want you to pull the pic.

ECH,
was actually hoping that meme would spread

Well, the gynormity of it was a bit unnecessary, that's all I changed.

East Coast Hustle

oh, musta been my browser acting retarded then.