News:

If words could really hurt you, this forum would be one huge abbatoir.

Main Menu

The Calendar

Started by nostalgicBadger, February 08, 2008, 09:29:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nostalgicBadger

So, I am curious what this group's thoughts are on the Discordian calendar, or I suppose I should say Discordian calendars since I am sure there are multiple versions floating around. Personally, I like the idea of using five seasons and no months, although I might come up with a new system of counting years. Still, the whole thing does seem like it could be considered cliché.
meh.

AFK

It's alright, but try programming that bitch into a wind-up watch. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

hooplala

Quote from: nostalgicBadger on February 08, 2008, 09:29:59 PM
So, I am curious what this group's thoughts are on the Discordian calendar, or I suppose I should say Discordian calendars since I am sure there are multiple versions floating around. Personally, I like the idea of using five seasons and no months, although I might come up with a new system of counting years. Still, the whole thing does seem like it could be considered cliché.

I use five months, but use the same seasons.  I am also working on animalistic years, like the Chinese calendar.  
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

nostalgicBadger

Do you name the year after the fact? That's what I was thinking of doing, deciding at the end of every year what the year was called, and I think not having a counting system would help to break the illusion of time being linear. The only problem is, counting back years could be a little tricky.

Also, programming the five seasons into a analog watch could be tough, however I did port ddate to a Second Life script for some reason.
meh.

East Coast Hustle

Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

hooplala

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

hooplala

Quote from: nostalgicBadger on February 08, 2008, 11:04:54 PM
Do you name the year after the fact? That's what I was thinking of doing, deciding at the end of every year what the year was called, and I think not having a counting system would help to break the illusion of time being linear. The only problem is, counting back years could be a little tricky.

Also, programming the five seasons into a analog watch could be tough, however I did port ddate to a Second Life script for some reason.

I haven't put that much thought into that aspect yet.

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

nostalgicBadger

Perhaps I should change my name so I will stop having to disappoint people all the time.
meh.

East Coast Hustle

Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

AFK

Quote from: nostalgicBadger on February 09, 2008, 11:17:35 PM
Perhaps I should change my name so I will stop having to disappoint people all the time.

I suggest Ambassador Klok Kaos. 

Triple Zero

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on February 11, 2008, 01:49:25 PM
Quote from: nostalgicBadger on February 09, 2008, 11:17:35 PM
I suggest Ambassador Klok Kaos. 

coffee, monitor  :lol:
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

nostalgicBadger

I actually sort of like the ring of Ambassador Klok Kaos, although I don't think I get it.
meh.

Cramulus

sorry badger, you've walked into a whole bunch of in-jokes and references.

AKK was a legendary poster who was pretty much unanimously despised by the PD gang.

Try to sniff around in some other threads - I'm sure the in-jokes will be slightly less bewlidering there.

AFK

Quote from: nostalgicBadger on February 14, 2008, 09:10:29 PM
I actually sort of like the ring of Ambassador Klok Kaos, although I don't think I get it.

:lulz:

Neither did he. 

nostalgicBadger

Ah, well it seems a little intrusive to try to go back and research your in-jokes so I can take part in them. I would rather just accept that this one I do not understand and that hopefully jokes that arise from here on, I will get.
meh.