News:

Everyone who calls themselves "wolf-something" or "something-wolf" almost inevitably turns out to be an irredeemable shitneck.

Main Menu

Steampunk?

Started by Cainad (dec.), February 10, 2008, 06:02:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cainad (dec.)

I can't tell if this thing is steampunk, or just frickin' weird and awesome-looking at the same time:
http://www.officemuseum.com/typewriters_hansen_writing_ball.htm

A "writing ball." Discuss.

B_M_W

That is steampunk to the max. See all the brass? See the intricate and careful craftsmanship? The atypical typewriter design makes it even more so.
One by one, we break the sheep from their Iron Bar Prisons and expand their imaginations, make them think for themselves. In turn, they break more from their prisons. Eventually, critical mass is reached. Our key word: Resolve. Evangelize with compassion and determination. And realize that there will be few in the beginning. We are hand picking our successors. They are the future of Discordianism. Let us guide our future with intelligence.

--Reverse Brainwashing: A Guide http://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php?topic=9801.0

6.5 billion Buddhas walking around.

99.xxxxxxx% forgot they are Buddha.

Jasper

All it needs is a cogwheel.

Cainad (dec.)

All I know is that I want one.

Jasper

Okay, so let me steer the topic a bit. 

How do you think Steampunk is going to influence society, if at all?

East Coast Hustle

it's gonna piss me off even worse than Emo Kids, that's how.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Jasper

But think of the corsets!

Cainad (dec.)

People like me, who have a genuine attraction to things made of brass and with little clicking mechanisms, will pick up on certain aspects of it very quickly. However, genuinely ass-slappin' awesome Steampunk things like that writing ball will quickly prove too expensive, and many people will resort to the cheap shit that will miraculously appear out of China. Then I personally will become disillusioned and resort to "Stonepunk," toting a flint spear and wrapped in animal hides.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Dr. Felix Mackay on February 10, 2008, 07:59:02 AM
Okay, so let me steer the topic a bit. 

How do you think Steampunk is going to influence society, if at all?

It's going to be all over up in Nordstrom's and Macy's, and then it will be another decade and there will be another fashion statement and it will look "dated" until 2031, when it will suddenly be ultra-fashionable in a hip, ironic way.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

B_M_W

Quote from: Cainad on February 10, 2008, 07:35:29 PM
People like me, who have a genuine attraction to things made of brass and with little clicking mechanisms, will pick up on certain aspects of it very quickly. However, genuinely ass-slappin' awesome Steampunk things like that writing ball will quickly prove too expensive, and many people will resort to the cheap shit that will miraculously appear out of China. Then I personally will become disillusioned and resort to "Stonepunk," toting a flint spear and wrapped in animal hides.

I like that.
One by one, we break the sheep from their Iron Bar Prisons and expand their imaginations, make them think for themselves. In turn, they break more from their prisons. Eventually, critical mass is reached. Our key word: Resolve. Evangelize with compassion and determination. And realize that there will be few in the beginning. We are hand picking our successors. They are the future of Discordianism. Let us guide our future with intelligence.

--Reverse Brainwashing: A Guide http://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php?topic=9801.0

6.5 billion Buddhas walking around.

99.xxxxxxx% forgot they are Buddha.

Bharlion

The only reason we regard that configuration as weird is because the qwerty set up was utilized to slow down typists since the original alphabetic set us was too fast and kept  jamming the type writters. i would think with the technology we have now we would set up the keyboards different as it is very hard to jam a computer with fast typing... but that is another rant completely.
Okay, why not. Didn't want to die alone anyways.

Richter

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Jasper

I dunno, I generally love stuff that's future-forward but it only goes so far before becoming it's own parody.  I'd prefer a style that was formal, comfortable, timeless and chic.

Like a sequined straitjacket with tie and fruit-hat.