News:

If you can't abuse it, it's not power.

Main Menu

Does the BIP actually change who we *are*?

Started by Verbal Mike, February 12, 2008, 08:18:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

Yeah, I didn't think it was.

I just added it for fun's sake.

Triple Zero

.. and i just had to point out that i recognized those particular shapes of seemingly-random dots :kingmeh:
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Cain

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

From what I've read about ADHD, imaging scans actually do show a difference between ADHD brains and "normal" brains, so STFU upside-down pyramid.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Triple Zero

i also kind of wonder if he knows what he's talking about, at all.

MRI is not used for diagnosis of psychiatric/mental disorders, but for distinguishing pathological tissue (such as tumors) from normal tissue.

maybe he was thinking about EEGs or possibly fMRI, but the thing with those is that you can even tell from those is someone is angry, stressed out, relaxed, focused, reading or listening to speech.

and yeah, according to the "neurofeedback" crowd, you can tell the difference between ADHD and NT (neuro-typical) brains: http://www.neurobics.nl/ahd.html

but i'm myself not yet entirely convinced of the effectiveness of neurofeedback itself. but maybe that because when i tried it for a few sessions, with my background i knew a whole lot more about the signal processing behind his equipment than the psychologist (or psychiatrist) that treated me then, and his answers to my questions about the signal-to-noise ratio of his EEG readings didn't quite satisfy me (and i got the distinct idea that i had a better idea what the graphs on his screen represented than he did).
on the other hand, that website of neurobics.nl i linked above is from an acquaintance of mine (can't really call him a friend, he has ADHD himself, and with some certain that just annoys the fuck out of me), and they claim to be a lot more accurate in their "readings" than the place i went to a couple of times.

but it's not really important.

the point is, ADHD (and certain other psychological disorders) is a malfunctioning in the receptors for certain neurotransmitters. i have NO idea how they figured this out, but that fact will not show up on any brainscan, neither MRI or EEG nor fMRI nor CT or what-have-you.

(btw did i mention the Machine Learning group at my university works closely with the Computer Vision and Imaging workgroup, hence my general knowledge about medical imagery. your average MRI scan results in several gigabytes of numbers, guess who writes the code to transform those numbers into the pretty pictures you generally see? ;-) )
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I dunno, but I've had countless MRIs so thanx, whoever is responsible for making them legible.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Triple Zero

Quote from: Nigel on April 28, 2008, 06:50:03 AM
I dunno, but I've had countless MRIs so thanx, whoever is responsible for making them legible.

Phillips, probably :-P