News:

Endorsement from MysticWicks: "The most fatuous, manipulative, and venomous people to be found here are all of the discordian genre."

Main Menu

yet another curry

Started by Triple Zero, February 14, 2008, 11:37:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Squid Diddimus

i need a rice cooker.
mine always turns to mush.
i can never get it fluffy.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

To make good rice on a stovetop, the key is that you rinse the rice first, then add 1 cup of rice to 2 cups of COLD water. Bring to a boil, and as soon as it begins to boil turn it down to the lowest heat. Cover and let it steam for 1/2 hour. Do nevar stir; it makes rice gooey.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Sir Squid Diddimus

i tried that.
i just suck at rice.

SUCK!

i'll try it again though.
nevar give up!

Nast

What type of rice did you use?

Some types of rice are more glutinous than others, and are naturally gooey.
You also can try brown rice, which tends to stay firmer longer.
"If I owned Goodwill, no charity worker would feel safe.  I would sit in my office behind a massive pile of cocaine, racking my pistol's slide every time the cleaning lady came near.  Auditors, I'd just shoot."

Triple Zero

what i usually do, is pour boiling water over the rice (from the waterboiler) and then cook it for .. 10-12 minutes or so (but this is "fast boiling" rice)

where it goes wrong is that i would like to exactly "boil it dry", but i'm too lazy to measure the amounts exactly, so that usually turns out wrong :)

instead i should just add more than enough water and pour off the water when it's done.

in either case it is very important to let the rice "rest" for another 5-10 minutes after boiling.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Sir Squid Diddimus

Quote from: Pope Naughty Nasturtiums on February 19, 2008, 05:09:20 AM
What type of rice did you use?

Some types of rice are more glutinous than others, and are naturally gooey.
You also can try brown rice, which tends to stay firmer longer.

i've tried making a fluffy jasmine rice. no luck.
i do rinse it first.
short grain rice for sushi always comes out the way it should, sticky.
plain long grain white rice. no good.
basmati rice. no good.
it all ends up like sushi rice or mush.
rice hates me.