News:

PD.com: Trimming your hair in accordance with the anarchoprimitivist lifestyle

Main Menu

It was a sociological experiment!

Started by LMNO, February 15, 2008, 12:41:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080215/ts_nm/usa_shooting_school1_dc_7

DEKALB, Illinois (Reuters) - A black-clad man fired into a lecture hall packed with students at an Illinois university on Thursday, killing five people and wounding 18 before shooting himself dead, police and college officials said.

[Police] said the gunman was a sociology major who last attended classes as a graduate student in the spring of 2007 and who may have since enrolled at a different college. He said he had no police record or previous contact with police.

You fuckers have totally corrupted my brain.  When I first heard the story, I was like, "oh, fuck, another Virginia Tech wannbe."  Then I heard he was a sociology major, and I just started giggling.  It was highly inappropriate.

Many thanks.

Cain

:mittens:

You think thats bad?  I had a bet on with a friend there would at least be one high school/workplace/University shooting yesterday.  Because my friend is an idiot, he took me up on that.

LMNO

Easy money.

Does your friend have friends who want to bet the same thing on Easter, Xmas, New Years.....

Cain

Probably.  He's an English major, its not like he ever actually has to use his brain anyway....only easier pickings are Theology students.

nostalgicBadger

meh.

Cain

Well then, at least you're not a Theology student.

nostalgicBadger

That's true, although I can't entirely agree about English students not having to use our brains. I have a short story due every other week and countless essays. Granted, my particular style of essay writing mostly entails devising bullshit connections between two completely unrelated ideas and then proving that my connection makes sense, but you know, that's hard work.
meh.

tyrannosaurus vex

sounds like the President might have a job for you.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

Jasper

I'm concerned that all the shootings will be used to justify more impositions on the citizens.

B_M_W

Quote from: Dr. Felix Mackay on February 16, 2008, 12:57:14 PM
I'm concerned that all the shootings will be used to justify more impositions on the citizens.

I think thats already happening.
One by one, we break the sheep from their Iron Bar Prisons and expand their imaginations, make them think for themselves. In turn, they break more from their prisons. Eventually, critical mass is reached. Our key word: Resolve. Evangelize with compassion and determination. And realize that there will be few in the beginning. We are hand picking our successors. They are the future of Discordianism. Let us guide our future with intelligence.

--Reverse Brainwashing: A Guide http://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php?topic=9801.0

6.5 billion Buddhas walking around.

99.xxxxxxx% forgot they are Buddha.

Cramulus

We get little two-sentence news snippets in the elevator at work.

The other day, the junket said the shooter had not been taking his medication.

ready for it? aaaaand

IF YOU'RE CRAZY
AND NOT ON MEDS
YOU ARE DANGEROUS

/
:nigel:

Cain

No other school shootings have resulted in government crackdowns under Bush.

Institutional crackdowns from schools and colleges is another matter entirely.  I don't know if the colleges have done anything since Virginia Tech, but I know schools frequently make use of body searches, expulsions and suspensions in the weeks after school shootings, often with little more than personal prejudice at work (since the FBI profile for a school shooter is "white, male, access to firearms" and so functionally useless)

The Littlest Ubermensch

Quote from: Cain on February 16, 2008, 08:50:53 PM
No other school shootings have resulted in government crackdowns under Bush.

Institutional crackdowns from schools and colleges is another matter entirely.  I don't know if the colleges have done anything since Virginia Tech, but I know schools frequently make use of body searches, expulsions and suspensions in the weeks after school shootings, often with little more than personal prejudice at work (since the FBI profile for a school shooter is "white, male, access to firearms" and so functionally useless)

From my experience, there's not any sudden crackdowns so much as an increasingly paranoid environment. It's not so much a matter of "allright, we're gonna have to take somebody down" so much as an increase in reactivity to anything. For example, when I was in 6th grade (2003), some 8th grade kid decided to let off a little carbonic acid + tinfoil + two liter bomb in the hallway. For the next 2-3 hours, nobody was allowed outside of their classroom, and the school was quickly swarmed with police and whoever does cleanup for these things. The next day, it was announced that a $50 reward would go to whoever gave the name of the kid who did it, and within a couple weeks of nonstop chatter, he was caught and expelled. Apparently the cracking down on the high schoolers was way worse (and there were a few fake bomb threats that year called from the high school.)
Looking at the current scene at my school, things could get really, really out of hand if ANYTHING were to happen here or within this general area. I just hope nothing does.
[witticism/philosophical insight/nifty quote to prove my intelligence to the forum]

LISTEN TO MY SHOW THURSDAY 5-7 EST

THEN GO TO MY MYSPACE

Cain

High schools probably suffer a lot more, yes.

http://www.stateline.org/live/ViewPage.action?siteNodeId=136&languageId=1&contentId=18518

I know the media have a role in playing everything up, no matter how unlikely or out of the norm it is, but from reading Going Postal by Mark Ames, it seems schools use the shootings that take place in order to get rid of troublesome students they dont like, based on "the profile".  Equally, bullies are usually given a free hand to keep any "wierdos" in line. You can imagine how some of these Bible bashing freaks might react to a kid who wears a little too much black for their liking, or who has 'unwholesome interests' in terrible things like wearing trenchcoats and listening to shitty bands.

nostalgicBadger

Quote from: The Littlest Ubermensch on February 16, 2008, 10:48:43 PM
From my experience, there's not any sudden crackdowns so much as an increasingly paranoid environment. It's not so much a matter of "allright, we're gonna have to take somebody down" so much as an increase in reactivity to anything. For example, when I was in 6th grade (2003), some 8th grade kid decided to let off a little carbonic acid + tinfoil + two liter bomb in the hallway. For the next 2-3 hours, nobody was allowed outside of their classroom, and the school was quickly swarmed with police and whoever does cleanup for these things. The next day, it was announced that a $50 reward would go to whoever gave the name of the kid who did it, and within a couple weeks of nonstop chatter, he was caught and expelled. Apparently the cracking down on the high schoolers was way worse (and there were a few fake bomb threats that year called from the high school.)
Looking at the current scene at my school, things could get really, really out of hand if ANYTHING were to happen here or within this general area. I just hope nothing does.

Someone ratted out a student for $50? Man.. when I was in high school, that was one of the few things anybody could get beat up for.
meh.