News:

Proud member of the Vin Diesel Friendship Brigade

Main Menu

Moar fotos!

Started by Darth Cupcake, February 19, 2008, 12:03:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Triple Zero

Quote from: Darth Cupcake on February 20, 2008, 03:14:07 PMBoston likes to color code all the public transit stations so that EFFING IDIOTS know where they are--hence, everything anywhere near the green line is green, blue line is blue, red line is red, etc.

In stations where there are transfers between multiple lines, this can actually be violently painful.

they do this in a lot of cities, also in Vienna for example. apparently it's not only useful for EFFING IDIOTS but also for people that do not know the city very well.

how many times i haven't stepped out of a subway, they all look alike, completely confused as to where i ended up this time.

(okay, maybe just once or twice, because stations also have names instead of colours, but STILL!)
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Darth Cupcake

Ironically, once you leave the touristy area of Boston, suddenly all identification is gone.

No joke.

I used to live waaaaaaaay out on the green line and about the last four stops before my stop on the trolley had no signs to identify what stop it was, so you just had to sort of count how many stops had gone by since the last stop with signs. Conveniently, the automated computer voice that would announce stop names also stopped at the last stop with signs.

I eventually learned landmarks, but there were a lot of embarrassing times before I learned where the hell my stop actually was.

Quote from: triple zero on February 20, 2008, 04:57:54 PM
how many times i haven't stepped out of a subway, they all look alike, completely confused as to where i ended up this time.

This is called HAVING AN ADVENTURE! :lol:

I have seen the color thing before, they do it fairly tastefully in Paris, for example, but Boston takes it to extremes. Seriously. Come here someday. It's like you're being slammed with a punch in the face of one color, and it's really bright, and it's on EVERYTHING.

-DC
Sometimes gets claustrophobic from all the bright, shiny red attacking her in the tunnel into the red line at Park Street
Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

Richter

I admire and concur with your sense of adventure, but these are all reasons why I prefer to walk.
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Triple Zero

Quote from: Darth Cupcake on February 20, 2008, 05:15:54 PM
Quote from: triple zero on February 20, 2008, 04:57:54 PMhow many times i haven't stepped out of a subway, they all look alike, completely confused as to where i ended up this time.

and as opposed to Richter, this is why i love public transport :)
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Darth Cupcake

Quote from: triple zero on February 20, 2008, 05:41:31 PM
Quote from: triple zero on February 20, 2008, 04:57:54 PMhow many times i haven't stepped out of a subway, they all look alike, completely confused as to where i ended up this time.

Ditto.

Unless I have somewhere I urgently need to be and I get lost and I look around with big scared eyes and whimper pathetically.

But usually, I love public transit. It is a good way to see places, people watch, etc...

Jasper

Quote from: Darth Cupcake on February 19, 2008, 04:29:12 PM
Quote from: triple zero on February 19, 2008, 03:25:13 PM
Quote from: Darth Cupcake on February 19, 2008, 12:03:50 AM
I am pretty jazzed with the way I got the blurry train but the non-blurry reflection of the people standing on the platform.

that must mean the windows on the train are very straight?

It is possible. But the MBTA is pretty bad at getting anything right, so if they are very straight, it was probably a big mistake.

also, a floating whale??!!! THAT SHOULD BE DISALLOWED

It is AIRWHALE

The newest in human and animal bonding! Solving all our public transit woes!

AIRWHALE is the wave of the future!

I want a pet whale... :cry:

And RWHN, yes it is. I love the aquarium! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxPzodKQays

In b4 rickroll.  Nah, it's just a mechanical, flying manta ray.

Darth Cupcake

OHMIGODIWANTONEIWANTITTOBEMYFRIEND!! :eek:

Eee! Flying mechanical ray! SO COOL!

Anch

Quote from: Darth Cupcake on February 19, 2008, 12:03:50 AM

I <3 the fact that the green one seems to be smiling smugly.
help I'm trapped in a online-personality-machine and can't escargh

Jasper

Quote from: Darth Cupcake on February 20, 2008, 05:56:25 PM
OHMIGODIWANTONEIWANTITTOBEMYFRIEND!! :eek:

Eee! Flying mechanical ray! SO COOL!

Festo's site is full to the brim with cool crap.

Suu

Quote from: triple zero on February 20, 2008, 05:41:31 PM

Everything in RI is numbered rather than colored except for the city trolleys. (Ironically, I live on the 'green' line, but if I say that, locals assume that I'm from Brighton or something.) So if you fuck up and get on the 30 instead of 31 or 20 instead of the 22....OFUK, helloooo ghetto Cranston! Also important to know: The 14 and the 20 are the ONLY ROUTES TO TF GREEN. They changed all the lines last year. I wanted to die. Fuck you, RIPTA.

In other news, the new MBTA/RIPTA train stations are almost finished. You can now take a commuter rail from Westerly to Boston! OUCH!

They're still bullshitting that MTA and MBTA are going to connect in New London...that'll be like a 6 hour commuter train from South Station to Grand Central, *twitch* But still probably cheaper than Amtrak.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Eve

Sry I didn't see this thread earlier. Pretty fotos! The second and third are my favorites, but hot damn if that airwhale isn't amazing.
Emotionally crippled narcissist.