News:

It is better to set off a nuclear bomb, than to sit and curse the dark.

Main Menu

Ugly Eris?

Started by Verbal Mike, February 19, 2008, 09:57:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Verbal Mike

Just a thought - why are we accustomed to portraying She Who Done It All as beautiful?
Unless stated otherwise, feel free to copy or reproduce any text I post anywhere and any way you like. I will never throw a hissy-fit over it, promise.

Verbal Mike

This thought inspired a (very) short story I just wrote:

Saint Verbatim was stoned one day, idly jacking off in the privacy of his own room, when Eris walked in on him. He clumsily zipped up and straightened up, as he recognized her immediately... But something seemed amiss.
   "My Goddess woman, you're hideous!", he exclaimed in shock.
   "I bed your pardon?"
   "You are bloody damned ugly. Gaah. What ever happened to the whole 'beautiful wicked woman' thing you had going?
   "Eh, I decided to shake off that meme."
   "Just like that?"
   "Goddess of Chaos and Confusion, remember?"
   "Yeah, but, I mean, damn. That's fucking hideous."
   "You're repeating yourself Verb."
   "Meh. Well, if you're here you must want something from me. I'd kinda like to get back to, you know..."
   "Nah, just wanted to startle you, shake things up a little, you know, whatever. Bye ass-wipe."
   "Bye, dog-face."
Unless stated otherwise, feel free to copy or reproduce any text I post anywhere and any way you like. I will never throw a hissy-fit over it, promise.

hooplala

Only modern Discordians describe her as beautiful.  The Greeks thought she was hideous.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

nostalgicBadger

I suppose that since I view the existence of any god or goddess as a spiritual matter, and all spiritual matters apart from the physical realm, Eris exists in my mind as a concept or a feeling. Since I find the concept rather pleasing, I suppose Eris is rather pleasing?

It's true though that the Greeks thought she was ugly as sin.
meh.

hooplala

Although, go look at that drawing of her thumbing her nose in the other thread...  I'd tap that.

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Cain

Her appearance, like all the Greek Gods, is subject to change based on personal whim.  When personifying her worst aspects, yes she was hideous.  Equally, at other times, she could pass for Athena when on the battlefield or personifying competition between artists and traders.

Kurt Christ

I'd say we (that is, Discordians) portray Eris as being beautiful because we find what she embodies beautiful, and we would imagine her as being rather ugly if we weren't enamoured with chaos.
Formerly known as the Space Pope (then I was excommunicated), Father Kurt Christ (I was deemed unfit to raise children, spiritual or otherwise), and Vartox (the speedo was starting to chafe)

Jasper

I'd portray Eris as beautiful just because it's my BIP and I'll idealize if I want to.

hooplala

Quote from: Dr. Felix Mackay on February 20, 2008, 02:55:26 AM
I'd portray Eris as beautiful just because it's my BIP and I'll idealize if I want to.

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Cain

"I'll just make up historically inaccurate shit because no-one will call me on it"

:x

Jasper

Yeah, but honestly.  If you're not being paid to do art, the only reward is having something pretty afterwards.  I generally don't draw ugly things unless I'm in the mood to, which is rare.

Thurnez Isa

I like Eris as beautiful cause I'm a pervert
Through me the way to the city of woe, Through me the way to everlasting pain, Through me the way among the lost.
Justice moved my maker on high.
Divine power made me, Wisdom supreme, and Primal love.
Before me nothing was but things eternal, and eternal I endure.
Abandon all hope, you who enter here.

Dante

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

LMNO

I think of Eris as an ugly bitch and I still fap to it!

:fap: :fap: :fap:

hooplala

Wasn't that one of Diabo Salazar's old avatars?

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman