News:

If words could really hurt you, this forum would be one huge abbatoir.

Main Menu

Venison Leg Roast - WTF?

Started by Bebek Sincap Ratatosk, February 22, 2008, 12:46:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jasper

Suu

Quote from: LMNO on February 22, 2008, 07:38:57 PM
Quote from: Richter on February 22, 2008, 07:30:27 PM
Food preservation IS emblaming, if you think about it.

Unless you're buying green vegetables, active cultures, or pulsating meat.

You just described a typical saturday night.

:potd:
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Dysfunctional Cunt

Another option, going in a completely different direction, is to put the meat in a pan and cover with hot salsa.  Cook slowly for around 6 hours.  The acid in the tomatoes helps tenderize the meat.  Serve it with some yellow rice and a salad.

Darth Cupcake

Quote from: Richter on February 22, 2008, 07:30:27 PM
Food preservation IS emblaming, if you think about it.

Unless you're buying green vegetables, active cultures, or pulsating meat.

Actually, that's one of the things I miss most about living in Europe--food generally ISN'T preserved to crazy extents. The skinniest/healthiest I've ever been was while in Paris, despite the fact that I drank plenty of beer, eat huge amounts of cheese and whole milk yogurt daily, enjoyed chocolate croissants, tons of bread, etc.

So basically, as Felix called it out, stay away from the synthetics.

I just like it so much better when all the effort is removed from it because there really isn't much in the way of fake stuff in the foods! Alas. I miss that.

-DC
Perhaps should put "well, Europe just has such better food quality!" in her statement of purpose...?
Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

Nast

The heathen peoples of India use pureed papaya in their marinades to tenderize their meat.

"If I owned Goodwill, no charity worker would feel safe.  I would sit in my office behind a massive pile of cocaine, racking my pistol's slide every time the cleaning lady came near.  Auditors, I'd just shoot."

Jasper

Sir Squid Diddimus

Quote from: Suu Fett on February 22, 2008, 06:33:53 PM
CS needs to cook for me next week when I'm in teh Florida.

this sounds like a great excuse for me to throw meat in the smoker.

do you like pork, or pork? cause i can also make pork.

Suu

Quote from: Cthulhu's Squidling on February 23, 2008, 06:57:46 AM
Quote from: Suu Fett on February 22, 2008, 06:33:53 PM
CS needs to cook for me next week when I'm in teh Florida.

this sounds like a great excuse for me to throw meat in the smoker.

do you like pork, or pork? cause i can also make pork.

Why yes I DO! How did you know?

Of course I have no idea how I'll get to Orlando.

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Sir Squid Diddimus

Suu

No lie, there was a psychedelic painted school bus in the woods somewhere along I-4 for years, I remember seeing it on multiple occasions during my family's trips to Melbourne to visit relatives. It was on the Eastbound side, but I'm sure it's long-gone now with all the shitty developments that have sprung up. That or the 2 more lanes of highway they added.

Triple Zero

Quote from: Darth Cupcake on February 22, 2008, 08:16:36 PM-DC
Perhaps should put "well, Europe just has such better food quality!" in her statement of purpose...?

depends heavily on the country, as well. Austria completely pwns the Netherlands in food quality, for example.

also, my austrian ex-gf made awesome pork-leg-roast
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Triple Zero

Quote from: LMNO on February 22, 2008, 05:54:03 PMI think it's awesome so many of y'all dig food as much as I do.

Now, how y'all are able to stay so damn thin... that's the secret I'm looking for.

well cooking IS awesome. it's like, chemical laboratory mad science, AND you get to eat it! :)

and i agree with the rest about staying thin, i hardly eat candy or soda drinks, for example. and sports. also, i don't eat very much, i'm full pretty quickly. so when i cook something complicated, it's usually food for the next couple of days. at least, currently being single, cooking for two is in fact a lot more fun.

actually, Mango and I made a stew for nearly 100 people last friday, that's also a lot of fun :D :D especially when you're basically the "chef cooks" and have about 6 people to do the cutting for you. we just had to stir, taste and decide on whether the stew could use more red wine (answer: YES) and make sure the ingredients went into the pot in the right order.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Darth Cupcake

Yeah, but the you don't get to exclaim "KIIIIYAAAH!" while cutting the veggies.

-DC
Mostly just likes having food minions to mince her garlic
Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I have to differ with everyone on the long cooking time. Because of the leanness of venison, it doesn't make the tenderest roast when well-done, and if you cook the fuck out of it, it loses its lovely venison characteristics and resembles lean beef.

IMO, the way to go is to rub it liberally with lard, salt it, pat it with black pepper, put it in an oven preheated to 550, reduce the heat to 350 and dry-roast it uncovered on a rack, about 20 minutes per pound.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."