News:

For my part, I've replaced optimism and believing the best of people by default with a grin and the absolute 100% certainty that if they cannot find a pig to fuck, they will buy some bacon and play oinking noises on YouTube.

Main Menu

An apparent nod to Phillip K Dick on Lost

Started by AFK, February 22, 2008, 01:33:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AFK

So the wife and I were watching the new episode of Lost last night.  It's the only regular TV I really watch.  It's a pretty interesting show.

Anyway, in this episode John Locke has that creepy Ben dude locked up in the basement of his own house.  He is preparing a breakfast of eggs and melon for him, he grabs a book from a shelf to add to the tray.  It was VALIS.  And it seemed they made a point of having a close-up of the book. 

Now, I've never read the book but I know that's where Dick's version of BIP comes from.  So for those familiar with the book and the show, what do you think the relevance of this is?  Or is it just JJ Abrams putting in a plug for Dick? 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Cain

I mentioned this in The Open Bar.

Both Phillip K Dick and RAW touched upon a few similar themes.  Sirius and scepticism about reality being the main two that come to mind.  Locke is the one with the most mind-altering experiences in Lost, so far.  He's spoken with dead people, taken hallucinogens and had a very wierd encounter with his father.  Locke the philosopher was an arch-materialists, who helped in the formation of ideas related to psychology and biological behaviourism, so perhaps there is some tension between the two worldviews they are trying to highlight.

hooplala

I think the point was the Zebra concept from VALIS: the vast alien entity which hides itself by pretending to be the world around it.

I think Jacob IS the island.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman