News:

If words could really hurt you, this forum would be one huge abbatoir.

Main Menu

The Cover of the Book

Started by LHX, February 28, 2008, 04:55:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LHX

is a reflection of the content of the book

a cover determines whether you want to approach something or whether you want to avoid something

accordingly
a intelligent author puts as much effort into the presentation as the content warrants

if you cant judge a book by its cover - then what in the hell else can you possibly judge it by?

the words "nobody understands"
can either be a reason to embark on a quest
or
a reason to whine and complain throughout eternity

(if 'nobody understands', it is quite possible that you may also be doing something wrong)
neat hell

Alucard

i agree. i have always questioned this meme. who the fuk says i cant? when i look for a random book in the library i sure as hell judge by the cover.
"Sometimes, it doesn't even feel all that bad. But still You look through those bars, and you see all that you're missing. Hopes. Dreams. What could-have-been. Here, put your palms up to the Black Iron, grab the bars, let me show you something...."    --the BIP

Cainad (dec.)

"FUCK YOU, I AM A MISUNDERSTOOD ARTISTE! PPL DONT GET MY ANTHOLOGY OF POEMS ABOUT FLOOR WAXING BECAUSE THEY ARE TEH STOOPID! AND MY DECISION TO PUT A PICTURE OF ROSS PEROT ON THE COVER WAS ARTISTIC EXPRESSION!"

Yeah, I judge the current edition of the PD by its cover. Nothing wrong with that, 'cause it's still fucking win.

B_M_W

Quotethen what in the hell else can you possibly judge it by?

Um, content?

You said it yourself.

I don't know about you, but when buy or borrow a book, its with the intent to read it, not to stare at the cover. Most of the time at the university library the pretty dust cover is removed anyway.
One by one, we break the sheep from their Iron Bar Prisons and expand their imaginations, make them think for themselves. In turn, they break more from their prisons. Eventually, critical mass is reached. Our key word: Resolve. Evangelize with compassion and determination. And realize that there will be few in the beginning. We are hand picking our successors. They are the future of Discordianism. Let us guide our future with intelligence.

--Reverse Brainwashing: A Guide http://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php?topic=9801.0

6.5 billion Buddhas walking around.

99.xxxxxxx% forgot they are Buddha.

LMNO

I figured they always meant, "You shouldn't judge a book by it's cover, though you probably will, you asshole."

Jasper

Quote from: B_M_W on February 28, 2008, 01:59:38 PM

Um, content?

You said it yourself.

I don't know about you, but when buy or borrow a book, its with the intent to read it, not to stare at the cover. Most of the time at the university library the pretty dust cover is removed anyway.

Do you read every book you see?

Do you judge every book you see?

Triple Zero

covers are mostly useful because they're hard and keep the book in better condition, also they must have colours on lettering on the spine so it's easy to find it back when it's on your bookshelves.

for judging a book i haven't read (to decide if i want to read it, not just for judging), i usually check excerpts, what other people say about the book, and sometimes the title and the abstract if they seem like a good indication for the book. incidentally these things are sometimes (but not always, and definitely not exclusively) found on the cover. also, i will leaf through the book a bit, and scan the ToC.

to sum this back into what the saying "dont judge a book by its cover" means:

- it means being shallow and going off only at your first impressions
- i personally think that checking out an actual excerpt/blurb on the back of a book isn't that shallow, unless it's a bunch of "magazine X said this book is exhilarating" crap.
- if you are trying to judge the book with the intent of reading it, in an effort to save time so you dont have to read every book (as felix said), i think the story is totally different.

you must have first impressions. for the simple fact that the "consumption" (reading) of a book is in fact a series of impressions, and, some of them have to be the first, right?
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

LMNO

Are we forgetting the original maxim is a metaphor, or have we just stretched it to the breaking point?

Triple Zero

well that was why i tried to "sum it back" (that's not even a dutch expression i have no idea where that brainfart came from).

i need coffee.

the point is, if this is a metaphor, we should interpret "cover" as any kind of superficial information you can easily glean about a book (or subject). this would also include critics, summaries, excerpts written in other journals.
unless you wanna interpret the metaphor as "judging by looks only", in which case you can include the book cover and the pretty pictures inside the book. and the font used. and whether the pic of the author on the inner flap of the book smiles at you.

so, if we're not getting that straight this discussion is headed for a shitload of confusion.

enjoy!

(and now, COFFEE)
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Cain

LMNO

I looked at that post, and judged it to be Glib.

Cain

Indeed it was performed with offhand and unusual ease.

B_M_W

Quote from: Dr. Felix Mackay on February 29, 2008, 05:03:00 AM
Quote from: B_M_W on February 28, 2008, 01:59:38 PM

Um, content?

You said it yourself.

Do you read every book you see?

Do you judge every book you see?

I usually look first at the title. In nonfiction, the title is something informative about the contents normally. I next might look at the author. If the title and the author interest me, I open the book and check the copyright page, usually there is a subject description of a few words. Once I know that, I flip through a couple of the chapter headings.

Most of the books I read would be considered dry by many people's standards.

The point is, the judgment is on the content, and not the cover. The title and author are something that stand alone apart from whatever cover design there might be. Seldom will you find a book without a title on its spine.
One by one, we break the sheep from their Iron Bar Prisons and expand their imaginations, make them think for themselves. In turn, they break more from their prisons. Eventually, critical mass is reached. Our key word: Resolve. Evangelize with compassion and determination. And realize that there will be few in the beginning. We are hand picking our successors. They are the future of Discordianism. Let us guide our future with intelligence.

--Reverse Brainwashing: A Guide http://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php?topic=9801.0

6.5 billion Buddhas walking around.

99.xxxxxxx% forgot they are Buddha.