News:

News:  0 1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89 144 233 377 610 987 1597 2584 4181 6765 10946 17711 28657, motherfuckers.

Main Menu

Strange paths.

Started by Requia ☣, March 07, 2008, 08:21:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Requia ☣

I've been reading too much again, and it has me thinking about the long twisted paths in our lives.  So I wanted to talk about mine.  See the whole reason I ended up here is chess.

Yeah, doesn't make much sense does it, here goes.  When I was however old (was long enough ago that I forget think I was 10 or so).  My dad taught me how to play chess.  I sucked.  So I got him to buy chess lessons for me (on the thoery that I would be able to beat him, I still can't though, sneaky bastard bought books on chess and read them while I was in classes).  While I was there early one day, the chess instructor taught me how to play Magic: the gathering, all well and good for her, cause she owned a shop that sold wem, so I would stop by every now and then and buy some, this kept going till junior high, when one of my magic buddies talked me into playing D&D (insert ominous Jack Chick inspired music here). 

Never did get into witch craft, but farther down the road, a D&D buddy talked me into going to his anime club.  Then an anime buddy introduced my to webcomics.  Then on a webcomic forum I got pulled into IRC, then an IRC buddy talked me into linux.  Then a linux distro came with a RSS feed for slashdot, finally, someone on slashdot linked PD.com, and here I am.

Not sure what my point was, except maybe wondering if I hit some sort of astronomical odds to get here, or if I would have found some other path.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

LMNO

First:  That was your 23rd post.  LOLBBQPINEAL.

Second: All Roads Lead to Discordia.  Some are longer than others.

Jack of Turnips

All roads lead to the grave, too, but most have toilet stops along the way.

Statistically I suppose that roads lead to the toilet more often than to either Discordia or to death.

However, as far as time spent goes, in an average lifetime you will spend 25 years asleep but only about 6 months on the crapper. Everything is dwarfed by the fact that you will be dead forever. Crap, sleep, die.

On a positive note... Um...

Oh well.

~~ Jack of Turnips.
If you can read this then I am lying to you.

Sepia

Discovering RAW and then discordia happened for me on the roskilde festival 2004. I was drunk and quite high lying out in the sun. This dude comes over and asks if he can trade a joint or a few beers against some sunblock and he sits down, notices I have a pad I take notes in, ask me if I write then ask me if I read, puts on his sunblock and says read the illuminatus! trilogy before walking away and I took note of it and found the notes when I moved from one apartment to the next whilst I worked at a library.

I find it quite irrelevant as the information on how to keep orchids alive came to me by bizarrer means etc.
Everyone will always be too late

Triple Zero

pays to dump a bit more links on slashdot, it seems.

i already explained how i got to discordia several times on this board, it's not really that mindblowing, but slightly synchronicitious, but i'm sure that comes with the territory, as you're "ripe" for getting into discordianism, you usually are quite open to the random/chaos/synchronicity stuff (that are always) happening around you, and you just notice them more thanks to the law of fives, which you may be even actively practicing by then, searching out the 23s and the triangles with eyes.
stranger things will happen, but they are good times :D

but in the end i just figured "everything is on the internet, everything. so i wonder what these discordians are up to in the present day" and googled discordian+forum. good thing that i got here (ok and POEE.co.uk) and not on 23ae or MLA or somewhere.
wait, actually i think i came across MLA before but it kind of repelled me because they do have a fat layer of bullshit around them on their site that made me wonder "well this seems interesting, but what do they actually do?", left the site to explore at a later date made a few more attempts and forgot about it (no i never even got to the forum).
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I was a BBS geek back in the dialup days, and when I moved to Oakland in 1994, the first thing I did was look up the local BBSes. (510 represent!) On the 510/415 scene, I made friends with members of the Pigdog Cabal, mostly a guy called Arkuat, who inadequately explained Discordianism to me and told me that I would like it, and should come to some cabal meetings. I scoffed, but later happened upon a yellow Loompanics edition of the PD in the bookstore where I was working. Fast forward a decade or so, and I had loaned out and never seen again my copy of the PD so many times that, vaguely remembering some glorious past when you could buy it in bulk (you really could, you know!) I Googled it, ended up here (I think I've found the site before but the link to the forum wasn't functional at the time and then I forgot about it) and the rest is me posting my little conical heart out.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

B_M_W

Every thing good thats happened to me over the last 3 years of my life has been due to a result of coming to this forum.

I stumbled onto this forum by accident in October 2004, by choosing to send a PM to someone completely unrelated on a completely unrelated forum.

Butterfly flaps its wings...
One by one, we break the sheep from their Iron Bar Prisons and expand their imaginations, make them think for themselves. In turn, they break more from their prisons. Eventually, critical mass is reached. Our key word: Resolve. Evangelize with compassion and determination. And realize that there will be few in the beginning. We are hand picking our successors. They are the future of Discordianism. Let us guide our future with intelligence.

--Reverse Brainwashing: A Guide http://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php?topic=9801.0

6.5 billion Buddhas walking around.

99.xxxxxxx% forgot they are Buddha.

Triple Zero

Quote from: B_M_W on March 10, 2008, 10:03:05 PM
Butterfly flaps its wings...

... and lands on your hand  :wink:
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

LMNO

Was given Illuminatus! when I was 17, thought it was fun.

A few years later, I saw the PD in an underground bookstore, and was startled that it actually existed (I thought it was just another joke).

I also started reading a lot more RAW, which led me to Leary, AC, Gurdjieff, etc.

Was a solitary pagan in those days, but I started coming around to the fact that Erisianism really made more sense in bridging the art/science gap in my head, so I started carrying around my pope card (yes, I still have it) and (when given the opportunity) acted somewhat like a pinealist.

Many years after that, I was bored at work & googled Principia Discordia; my first post was in "What are you eating right now?"  My answer:

"Golden apples of the sun, silver apples of the moon.... Actually, Figi apples from Stop & Shop".

The rest, they say, is incredibly boring.

Dysfunctional Cunt

I was raised by a couple of witches (my grandparents) who were open to almost everything.  Then forced as a teenager, to live with the christian parents who prayed constantly to cast the demons of witchcraft out of me.  So I became an adult with little tolerance for stupidity, for whining, for the terminal bullshit a great portion of the world population suffers from.

About the time my oldest son found the Principia Discordia, my sister told me to go over to MW and see just what the hell mol was up to again, which made me start asking questions and researching stuff.  I got to PD via MA, then EB&G and finally here.....

The rest is yet to come :lulz:

Reginald Ret

i honestly can't remember how i got into discordianism, it was just one of many links i stored on my laptop for future reading. A few months ago when i was feeling a bit depressed i figured i'd find something fun to read. Did so, found out there was a pleasant mix of philosophy and humor, got here (specifically) by accident and was hooked by some elitist comments (made by TGRR if i remember correctly) that  annoyed me and consequently made me laugh at my own annoyance with him.

before that i spent most of my internets on deoxy.org
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Golden Applesauce

I was bumming around on Wikipedia about some philisophical stance or another, and ended up at parody religions and somehow got to Discordja.  It sounded interesting so I went to read the PD itself - and got to this website.

Wikipedia promotes pagan cults ITT!
Q: How regularly do you hire 8th graders?
A: We have hired a number of FORMER 8th graders.

Payne

I fell over, and couldn't get up.

Triple Zero

Quote from: Regret on March 26, 2008, 01:35:27 AMi honestly can't remember how i got into discordianism, it was just one of many links i stored on my laptop for future reading. A few months ago when i was feeling a bit depressed i figured i'd find something fun to read. Did so, found out there was a pleasant mix of philosophy and humor, got here (specifically) by accident and was hooked by some elitist comments (made by TGRR if i remember correctly) that  annoyed me and consequently made me laugh at my own annoyance with him.

before that i spent most of my internets on deoxy.org

wait, you didn't get here via hyves?

Reginald Ret

nope, i joined the discordia hyve after i read lots of disordian thingies, and i think i just googled PD after accidentily deleting the link from my browser history.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"