News:

Testimonial: "None of you seem aware of quite how bad you are. I mean I'm pretty outspoken on how bad the internet has gotten, but this is up there with the worst."

Main Menu

A Modest Proposal.

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, March 03, 2008, 02:41:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

LMNO said something interesting when all this began.  He said "TGRR is ethical as hell...but he's never said what his ethics are."

Well, my ethics are straightforward. 

1.  Those in authority must adhere to the rules MORE than those whom they have power over, no matter how trivial the matter.

2.  Justice is based on law.  So are rights.  The moment law is cast aside, so are justice and rights, which revert to mere privilege.

3.  You are more than your last day, or last accomplishment.

4.  Nobody is beyond redemption.  Everyone deserves a chance to set things right.

5.  To ignore a wrong is to be complicit in that wrong.

There's more, but it's mostly commentary.  And I think most agree that if the above are forgotten, we may as well just climb into the sty with the piggies.

Now, with #3 and #4 in mind, I'd like to suggest that ECH be reinstated as MGT.  Why?  Why would I suggest such a thing, after what has happened?

Because it happened.

ECH was, until recently, a giant whose feet punched through the topsoil and left great dents in the bedrock.  Who knows why he drifted til the point where he did what he did?  Not I.  I still don't know what he was talking about when he announced that he was pissed at me for "publicly berating" him, though I asked several times.

But given that he was once a titan among Discordians, I suggest that he be allowed to redeem himself; to regain the honor he once displayed, and to get back to maximum lulz.

And the only way that can happen is if he is placed back exactly where he was, because there's no other way for him to regain the trust he once enjoyed.  If he cannot SHOW that he's woken the hell up, then he cannot possibly demonstrate that he has seen his error.

Now, I don't want ANYONE to take this as pity.  I'd rather see him slag the board, before anyone started pitying him.  I would help, in fact.

Rather, I'd like to see him wake the hell up, and turn back into the dude I was proud to call my friend and accomplice, not so long ago.

And is there anyone here - anyone - that can say they have never fucked up?  I know for sure that I have.  I also know that this may seem to him to be condescending as hell...but it should not.  It should be seen instead as a way to let the bullshit die.

A reset button. 

This ain't the criminal justice system...you DO - or should - get extra lives.

Now, I will go two steps farther:

1.  I will unilaterally stop the fight.  Providing that he does not cause me any problems, I will not go any further at all.  It all ends.  In fact, I will state that the last 6 months never happened.

2.  I will now apologize to ECH if I did publicly berate him.  This apology covers also any of my joke posts that he took seriously.

Anyway, that's all I have to say about that.  Just let it end.

Or kill me.

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Mourning Star

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Mourning Star on March 03, 2008, 02:47:01 AM
Well spoken.

Thanks.  The ECH I knew was a big fucking dude.  I know he still is.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Idem

The Littlest Ubermensch

Well spoken.

Agreed. I'm staying as out of this as I can, considering I don't know much of what's going on, but I can say that was probably the most eloquent way you could've handled things.  :mittens:
[witticism/philosophical insight/nifty quote to prove my intelligence to the forum]

LISTEN TO MY SHOW THURSDAY 5-7 EST

THEN GO TO MY MYSPACE

Lies

Holy shit. TGRR just admitted to having had fucked up at some point in his life.

THIS SHIT IS EPIC.
- So the New World Order does not actually exist?
- Oh it exists, and how!
Ask the slaves whose labour built the White House;
Ask the slaves of today tied down to sweatshops and brothels to escape hunger;
Ask most women, second class citizens, in a pervasive rape culture;
Ask the non-human creatures who inhabit the planet:
whales, bears, frogs, tuna, bees, slaughtered farm animals;
Ask the natives of the Americas and Australia on whose land
you live today, on whose graves your factories, farms and neighbourhoods stand;
ask any of them this, ask them if the New World Order is true;
they'll tell you plainly: the New World Order... is you!

Faust

this seems fair. i will send on ech the details to the mgt account. no more secrets, no more fights.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: The Littlest Ubermensch on March 03, 2008, 02:50:46 AM
Well spoken.

Agreed. I'm staying as out of this as I can, considering I don't know much of what's going on, but I can say that was probably the most eloquent way you could've handled things.  :mittens:

Thanks, but it's not about eloquence, or anything like that.

It's about getting back on mission.  I don't expect ECH to be friends with me, though it would be nice if he was.  I'm just looking around at the world burning down, the house is on fire, and we're all fighting about what color the attic wallpaper should be.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Lysergic on March 03, 2008, 02:51:06 AM
Holy shit. TGRR just admitted to having had fucked up at some point in his life.

THIS SHIT IS EPIC.

Dude, ask Bella.  I drop my pants and ROLL in my mistakes.

When you fuck up, there's NO point in doing it half-assed.

TGRR,
Fully Assed.

Mourning Star

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 03, 2008, 02:52:42 AM
Well spoken.

It's about getting back on mission.  I don't expect ECH to be friends with me, though it would be nice if he was.  I'm just looking around at the world burning down, the house is on fire, and we're all fighting about what color the attic wallpaper should be.

Easy enough to solve, attic's don't need wallpaper, they just need to be stuffed with insulation, and x-mas decorations you'll never use again.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Mourning Star on March 03, 2008, 02:54:25 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 03, 2008, 02:52:42 AM
Well spoken.

Easy enough to solve, attic's don't need wallpaper, they just need to be stuffed with insulation, and x-mas decorations you'll never use again.

And Ann Frank, these days.

Triple Zero

awesome. i'm glad things turned out this way!

*snirf* :cry: it's so sad Payne isn't with us anymore to witness this.. it feels like he was still posting here only this afternoon..
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: triple zero on March 03, 2008, 02:55:50 AM
awesome. i'm glad things turned out this way!

*snirf* :cry: it's so sad Payne isn't with us anymore to witness this.. it feels like he was still posting here only this afternoon..

WTF?

Triple Zero

Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

The Good Reverend Roger