News:

Proud member of the Vin Diesel Friendship Brigade

Main Menu

Just another stupid political thread (formerly Year of the Rat #5).

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, March 03, 2008, 02:57:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jasper

Quote from: Doktor Howl on May 02, 2010, 10:13:50 PM
You are confusing "justice" with "the American legal system".

Yeah, that.  Justice is desirable, but governments can't do anything important right.  That's not a recent development.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Sigmatic on May 02, 2010, 10:18:03 PM

Yeah, that.  Justice is desirable, but governments can't do anything important right.  That's not a recent development.

Rubbish.  Governments do certain things very well.
Molon Lube

Adios

Quote from: Hawk on May 02, 2010, 07:33:13 PM
I never intended to say the concept of justice was worthless. In it's present form it is far more dangerous than worthless. "Justice" is mostly reserved for those who can afford it or by position are shielded from it and it is called justice for that class. Think of an unrequited love for instance. In some cases it can utterly destroy a life while in others it is eventually dropped by the side of the road. I reject the dangling carrot of justice and choose to take my own justice as I can. In the cases where i can't I drop it by the side of the road.

It's a matter of removing the blinders and seeing as much of the big picture as you can.

In the fantasy of my mind they should be inseparable. The American legal system is where so many go to seek justice. I personally just try to manipulate the system because that is what must be done now. Frontier justice can also be dangerous without all facts and proof.

Jasper

Quote from: Doktor Howl on May 02, 2010, 10:19:55 PM

Oh yeah, my b.  They are brilliant when you need limitless blood money.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Sigmatic on May 02, 2010, 11:01:26 PM

Oh yeah, my b.  They are brilliant when you need limitless blood money.

Or the NEA/NES, or the highway system, or the military, or research grants, or federal police, or air traffic control, or...Shall I continue?

Yeah, nothing much. 
Molon Lube

BadBeast

Indeed they do. They are good at absolving the Governed from having to take responsibility for Governing themselves. And while that may make life seem less complicated, it also makes us lazy. Which makes us easier to "govern".  They are good at legislation too. But the more legislation they pass, (ostensibly to "Protect our statutary rights as citizens")  The more we seem to be vulnerable to attack,  leading to farther reaching legislation.

We all led far more secure lives, before our Governments began expanding their remit into every corner of our activity. It's need to know every detail of every person, has become like the OCD behaviour of an overprotective, control freak parent. Just what we need. I don't think.
(I'm talking particularly of the British Government)

And now, our Government, (perhaps unconsciously realising it's mentally ill) has handed over the Power (that WE entrusted it to use) to the European Parliament! The implications are that we no longer have Soveriegn Power in our own Country.
Yeah, Thanks Guys! If you felt you had to much on your plate, why didn't you try to devolve power back to the people? Instead of handing it over to some playground Bully?

They are good at re-writing their remit, to suit their own political security, rather than to admit they are not actually equipped to do something, and delegating to someone who is.

Governments seem to use their Powers like a heroin addict uses heroin. Needing more and more all the time, they spiral downwards towards certain disaster, everything else taking a back seat while they seek every available drop, for it's own sake.  
"We need a plane for Bombing, Strafing, Assault and Battery, Interception, Ground Support, and Reconaissance,
NOT JUST A "FAIR WEATHER FIGHTER"!

"I kinda like him. It's like he sees inside my soul" ~ Nigel

Whoever puts their hand on me to govern me, is a usurper, and a tyrant, and I declare them my enemy!

"And when the clouds obscure the moon, and normal service is resumed. It wont. Mean. A. Thing"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpkCJDYxH-4

Doktor Howl

Quote from: BadBeast on May 02, 2010, 11:15:17 PM

Indeed they do. They are good at absolving the Governed from having to take responsibility for Governing themselves.

Well, I already said I wasn't arguing with libertarians, so you and Sigmatic have a good time.  Thread's all yours.

Molon Lube

BadBeast

Quote from: Doktor Howl on May 02, 2010, 11:29:05 PM

Indeed they do. They are good at absolving the Governed from having to take responsibility for Governing themselves.

Well, I already said I wasn't arguing with libertarians, so you and Sigmatic have a good time.  Thread's all yours.

I've never been called a "Libertarian" before. (Not even sure what one is)  But I do know that our Country's respective political models differ sufficiently enough for there to be room to step around what might first appear to be oppositional views.     
"We need a plane for Bombing, Strafing, Assault and Battery, Interception, Ground Support, and Reconaissance,

Whoever puts their hand on me to govern me, is a usurper, and a tyrant, and I declare them my enemy!

"And when the clouds obscure the moon, and normal service is resumed. It wont. Mean. A. Thing"

Doktor Howl

Quote from: BadBeast on May 02, 2010, 11:48:34 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on May 02, 2010, 11:29:05 PM

I've never been called a "Libertarian" before. (Not even sure what one is)  But I do know that our Country's respective political models differ sufficiently enough for there to be room to step around what might first appear to be oppositional views.     

Nevertheless, it's your thread now.  Enjoy.
Molon Lube

Jasper

Uh, wow.  I was kind of going for over the top polemical commentary, but I guess that's out of fashion around here now?

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Sigmatic on May 02, 2010, 11:55:21 PM
Uh, wow.  I was kind of going for over the top polemical commentary, but I guess that's out of fashion around here now?

Don't know.  All I know is that arguing against libertarianism has brought no end of shit down on my head, and I am simply not interested in dealing with that bullshit now.  Nor am I interested in discussing things with people who make wildly inaccurate statements on subjects where it is "safe" to do so.  It angers me, and I don't need any more anger than I have right now.  Also, if I wanted that shit, I could just go attend a "town hall" meeting, and hear all about how the government can't do anything right except nanny everyone to death.

Far be it from me to pretend that the government is perfect or even competent, but I have to listen to the above shit IRL, and I'm not going to listen to it here.  It's fucking bullshit, it just adds to the collective amount of bullshit in the world, and trying to talk sense has recently cost me a friend or two (oddly enough, I'm pretty sure I'm still friends with the guy I was arguing with...It was another friend that had to be a fucking asshole about things that I won't be speaking to again).

In any case, this rant is trashed, and will be moved to the cesspit we call "aneristic delusions", as it is now about politics.
Molon Lube

Reginald Ret

I'm sure badbeast could be convinced to split his post from this one.
I enjoy reading about both views and would rather have the topics split than having one sacrificed to the other.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

BadBeast

Quote from: Regret on May 26, 2010, 11:53:07 PM
I'm sure badbeast could be convinced to split his post from this one.
I enjoy reading about both views and would rather have the topics split than having one sacrificed to the other.

Please do, split away, it would be a shame to see a thread with potential wither and waste away. (And now I think I know what a libertarian is, and it's not me)