News:

PD.COM:  Mindlessly hitting the refresh button for weeks on end.

Main Menu

BREAKING: US MARINE THROWS PUPPY OFF A CLIFF

Started by Cain, March 04, 2008, 03:16:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Triple Zero

Quote from: Faust on March 10, 2008, 12:28:54 AM
Quote from: triple zero on March 06, 2008, 02:36:05 PM
Quote from: Faust on March 05, 2008, 04:20:48 PMthis isnt as bad as pictures of the woman who crushed the cat in her high heels.
She turned up dead in a river strangled after 4chan found out about it.

wow really?

is the story about that on ED?

cause i saw that pic and was like UGH

otoh i wouldn't want to meet the freak that strangled her.
I read it on SA, look up kitten crusher in ed, it might be there.
And I get a sickening feeling the guy who wacked her probably had a fedora and got really passionate when people knock anime.

can't find it in ED, but google shows some hits.

i'll read it another day.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Random Probability

Quote from: Cthulhu's Squidling on March 08, 2008, 05:59:26 PM
well let me try to explain why a person would be upset over a man killing an animal that really had no way of defending itself, had no idea what was happening to it, doesn't understand the concept of "war on turrurrrrr" .... oh wait. just did.

to me, people who do that kind of shit are weak little pussies.
seriously.

"ooh look at me, big tough guy, gonna throw this defenseless animal like a rag doll, all my buddies will laugh, har har *choke on my own vomit* har!"

Ah, so if it had been a full grown dog, then it would be okay.  I get it. 

And just so you know, I'm not defending what that idiot did.  Getting filmed doing that kind of shit is only slightly more stupid than doing it in the first place.  My point is that it just doesn't matter.  Tossing an animal is a non-event compared to the abuse the government heaps upon human beings as a matter of official policy.  I find it laughable that in the midst of all that human misery, so many people will waste their time and effort to crucify one man instead of doing something actually worthwhile.

Just saying....

hooplala

Quote from: Random Probability on March 10, 2008, 05:19:14 PMTossing an animal is a non-event compared to the abuse the government heaps upon human beings as a matter of official policy. 

To you, but not to everyone.  Some people think any sort of abuse is not needed.

At the very least, there is some reason (be it inane) for the abuse being heaped on people in the middle east during this war, but what in the name of all that is holy has this stupid puppy got to do with any of it?

I think it's a fine line between the type of person who would do this, and the type of person who participates in something like the My Lai massacre.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Random Probability

Quote from: Hoopla on March 10, 2008, 05:40:14 PM
Quote from: Random Probability on March 10, 2008, 05:19:14 PMTossing an animal is a non-event compared to the abuse the government heaps upon human beings as a matter of official policy. 

To you, but not to everyone.  Some people think any sort of abuse is not needed.

At the very least, there is some reason (be it inane) for the abuse being heaped on people in the middle east during this war, but what in the name of all that is holy has this stupid puppy got to do with any of it?

I think it's a fine line between the type of person who would do this, and the type of person who participates in something like the My Lai massacre.

Glad you brought that up.  There is no fine line.  Hell, the type of person who would go to, say, Stanford or Berkeley is the type of person to pull a "My Lai" or even just an "Abu Ghraib".  They've even done studies to prove it.

I'm fairly certain, given the unwarranted level of emotional bullshit surrounding this issue, that the Marine in question is going to get severely buttraped by the Powers That Be (they're funny that way about PR when elections are coming up).  Contrast that with this other Marine I know who tested out his nifty M-2 (that's a 50 caliber machine gun) on a hapless camel during Desert Storm.  Same end result: a dead animal.  The difference is that my friend only had to pay for the camel ($2700 if you're interested, which was about three month's pay).

Seriously, I find this whole "it was a PUP-PEEE!!!!zomg!!!" bullshit a little tiresome.

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

I would guess RP is referencing the Stanford prison Experiment:

http://www.prisonexp.org/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanford_prison_experiment

I don't think it 'proves' that anyone will act the same... but it does provide some indication that at least some humans will behave in ways that they normally would not in positions of direct physical power over others.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

There's a difference between people with a predisposition for sociopathic behavior who do fucked up things like this regardless of their circumstances, and people who get put in fucked up circumstances and act like sociopaths.
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

hooplala

Quote from: Random Probability on March 10, 2008, 06:25:18 PM
Quote from: Hoopla on March 10, 2008, 05:40:14 PM

Glad you brought that up.  There is no fine line.  Hell, the type of person who would go to, say, Stanford or Berkeley is the type of person to pull a "My Lai" or even just an "Abu Ghraib".  They've even done studies to prove it.

I'm fairly certain, given the unwarranted level of emotional bullshit surrounding this issue, that the Marine in question is going to get severely buttraped by the Powers That Be (they're funny that way about PR when elections are coming up).  Contrast that with this other Marine I know who tested out his nifty M-2 (that's a 50 caliber machine gun) on a hapless camel during Desert Storm.  Same end result: a dead animal.  The difference is that my friend only had to pay for the camel ($2700 if you're interested, which was about three month's pay).

Seriously, I find this whole "it was a PUP-PEEE!!!!zomg!!!" bullshit a little tiresome.

Well if a study shows it, then it MUST be true!

Also, I don't care if it was a puppy, a full grown dog, a llama, an ostrich or an 85 year old grandmother, life is life.  No excuse.

The American military doesn't need ANY kind of negative exposure right now, let alone one of its soldiers indiscriminantly killing something which could not defend itself.

Now its time for you to make the "beef and leather" argument . . . please proceed.

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Netaungrot on March 10, 2008, 07:01:57 PM
There's a difference between people with a predisposition for sociopathic behavior who do fucked up things like this regardless of their circumstances, and people who get put in fucked up circumstances and act like sociopaths.

Well I think Random Probability was saying that under the circumstances of Mai Lai, anyone normal psychopath, average sociopath, or what once considered itself a normal sane and moral human being... may well act in the same manner. As for the difference you're claiming... I agree that there obviously is one, but I'm not sure that its as large as many people would like to think.

As for the Marine in the video... he may have been a perfectly normal guy 10 years ago... he may have had a pet puppy that he loved as much as you and I would. If could be that X number of years of being trained to kill, being conditioned to accept death as acceptable and seeing comrades die (assuming that this guy actually served in combat)... may well desensitize any of us to the point that puppy flinging might register as teh funnay rather than horrific. We don't know what situations that Marine has been in, we don't know if he saw havlf his platoon fly through the air as an IED shattered bones, shredded flesh and took lives. We don't know that this guy didn't end up on the clean up crew after a particularly nasty suicide bomb in a crowded marketplace. We have no idea what he's experienced, who he was before he experienced it or what may have led to his puppy flinging behavior. That doesn't excuse the behavior... not in the slightest. We are all responsible for our own actions.

However, it may mean that we aren't able to meaningfully shove him into Box A (sociopath), Box B (psychopath) or Box C (Normal Dude that got his brain fucked by war)... which leaves us only with Box D (WTF?).
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

East Coast Hustle

I think someone should fling this marine off of a cliff.

I also think it would be a shame if an NSRA agent went to the WA State penitentiary in Monroe (the same town in which our Marine lives) with "advertisements" informing the day's batch of newly-released inmates that there was a new "massage parlor" operating at a certain address in Monroe.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Triple Zero

Quote from: Hoopla on March 10, 2008, 07:39:29 PM
Now its time for you to make the "beef and leather" argument . . . please proceed.

um

if there would have been a big enough pile of beef and leather somewhere further down that cliff, the puppy might have had a softer landing and survived?

am i doing it right?

and if they had kept this puppy, he'd have needed a leash made of leather and eat beef every day.

do you even get beef if you're stationed there?

just as tired of this discussion as the rest of you. puppy throwing = bad.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Random Probability

"Beef & Leather"... sounds like something Aini would say.    :fap: :lulz:

East Coast Hustle

OOH OOH!!! I know this one!!!

OK...umm...

if we just let the cows roam freely, then there wouldn't be any more wars so marines wouldn't have to relieve their combat stress by murdering puppies!!
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Cain

If we allowed the cows to wander freely, puppies with a death wish would naturally make their way to psychopathic marines (via osmosis), curing world hunger.

Or something.

hooplala

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman