News:

Endorsement:  I am not convinced you even understand my concepts of moral relativity, so perhaps it would be best for you not to approach them.

Main Menu

Chocolate Guinness Cupcakes

Started by Darth Cupcake, March 06, 2008, 03:39:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darth Cupcake

FAIRY CAKES!

Important: Make sure to follow the recipe in the order it's presented.

Chocolate Guinness Cupcakes

* 1 12 oz bottle Guinness stout
    * 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, melted
    * 1 Tbsp. pure vanilla extract
    * 3 large eggs
    * 3/4 cup sour cream
    * 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa, plus more for garnish
    * 2 1/2 cups sugar
    * 2 cups all-purpose flour
    * 1 1/2 tsp. baking soda

For the frosting:

* 1 8 oz. package cream cheese, softened
    * 1 cup heavy cream
    * 1 1/2 pounds confectioners' sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large mixing bowl, combine the Guinness, melted butter and vanilla. Beat in the eggs, one at a time. Mix in the sour cream. In another large bowl, whisk together the cocoa, sugar, flour and baking soda. Gradually mix the dry ingredients into the wet Guinness mixture. Butter 24 muffin tins and divide the batter among them. Bake 25 minutes, until risen and set in the middle but still soft and tender. Cool before turning out of the tins. Makes 24.

To make the frosting, beat the cream cheese in a bowl until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in the heavy cream. Slowly mix in the confectioners' sugar. Top each cupcake with a heap of frosting and dust with cocoa.

I had to bake mine for about 35 minutes, but, you know, life's tough.

I actually have pictures, which I will post tomorrow or something, but they are currently still on my digital camera, which is still on my bed side table. So. Another time.

They are cute, because if you do not dust on cocoa, they look like little Guinnesses--dark and cylindrical, with white fluff on top! :D
Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

Richter

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Darth Cupcake

Photographic evidence!

Going into the oven...

Coming out of the oven...

Frosted!

I think the frosting is really what makes these cupcakes, as it is so sweet and light that it really off-sets the richness of the cupcakes fantastically. I put them in tupperware and stuck them in the fridge and they're actually, I think, a little tastier when chilled. When they were still warm, you didn't taste the Guinness as much, but you get a little stout flavor when they're cold, and also the frosting is not as runny so it's easier to pile more on.

I have been dipping my finger in the frosting and having a finger dollop of it every morning before work and I highly recommend it. It really energizes you! :wink:

Triple Zero

Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrowâ„¢
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Mango.

Oooh! Looks really great! Definitely gotta try this! Beer improves everything you're cooking :)

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Suu

Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Darth Cupcake

I wanna make both these and the official Boozemuffins at some point and have an alcoholic cupcake off. See which is better.

Jenne

Crap crap crap...thought I had all the ingredients, and I don't, so off to get cocoa powder and the stuff for the frosting I go...

Thanks for this D-Cup--the look/sound awesome.

Jenne

Ok, I made them, they turned out fabu.  I made a few necessary changes because my slack prevented my ass going back out to buy cocoa powder.

Needless to say, I doubled the recipe, and the 1 1/2 bags of semi-sweet chocolate chips I added instead of the cocoa powder made them rich and tasty--enough to not need icing (which ingredients I didn't have either!).

They were a hit, and I had enough to make 3 doz plus a loaf for the boys at home!

Darth Cupcake

Oooh, semi-sweet chocolate chips... That sounds brilliant!

Jenne

Yeah, though I now wish I'd frosted them, though people told me they didn't need them.  It was a gross amount of slack that kept me from doing so.  Sigh.

But they were hailed as delish by both the party and by the kiddies at home!  Brava, D-cup!  :D

Daruko

WOW!  I gotta eat them now.  I love Guiness.  I love cupcakes.