News:

Everyone who calls themselves "wolf-something" or "something-wolf" almost inevitably turns out to be an irredeemable shitneck.

Main Menu

Pancake of Waffles?

Started by Richter, March 07, 2008, 05:49:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

You know you want to.

Cakes from Pans are still lies.
Operation SeaWaffle!  To London!

Eve

Quote from: Suu Fett on March 14, 2008, 03:56:24 PM
The correct answer here is french toast stuffed with banana, peanut butter, cinnamon, and maple syrup from the Alchemist.
fixt for troof.
Emotionally crippled narcissist.

LMNO

I'm still getting creeped out by the knowledge that some of y'all are in my neighborhood on a fairly frequent basis.

Darth Cupcake

We haven't been to the Alchemist in a while.

But I do frequently dream about their delicious foods. Mmmmm. God I love that place.
Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

Eve

Quote from: LMNO on March 14, 2008, 04:29:22 PM
I'm still getting creeped out by the knowledge that some of y'all are in my neighborhood on a fairly frequent basis.

Stop living in the same city as my best friend and brother, LMNO, you crazy stalker!  :argh!:

:sad:  Sry to be creeping you out.
Emotionally crippled narcissist.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Anonymously Evil on March 14, 2008, 03:53:43 PM(Also, I don't like bacon. :()

:?

Quote(Also, I don't like bacon. :()

:cry:

Quote(Also, I don't like bacon. :()

:x
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Requia ☣

Waffles.  Most definitely waffles.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

EmmaE

After giving this topic considerable thought, I'd have to go with pancakes (even if they are lies), and the answer is simple:

Chocolate-chip waffles simply do not have that same deliciousness that chocolate-chip pancakes do.

Not to discount waffles either, of course, but there's just something about pancakes.
Understanding requires the risk of insanity.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: EmmaE on March 15, 2008, 08:42:43 PM
After giving this topic considerable thought, I'd have to go with pancakes (even if they are lies), and the answer is simple:

Chocolate-chip waffles simply do not have that same deliciousness that chocolate-chip pancakes do.

Not to discount waffles either, of course, but there's just something about pancakes.

I like the waffles because they have the same flavor and tenderness, but with also crispiness on the outside and a neat texture.

I make pancakes and waffles with the same batter recipe, though, so that could affect my opinion somewhat.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

EmmaE

Quote from: Nigel on March 15, 2008, 09:38:08 PM
I make pancakes and waffles with the same batter recipe, though, so that could affect my opinion somewhat.
You know, I'll have to try that sometime. Maybe my opinion will differ.

But, yeah-- don't get me wrong, waffles have that lovely crunch to 'em. But pancakes have that... oomph. I suppose I can't really describe it.

But I will say that if crepes were an option, I would have voted for 'em instead. Or, stuffed toast.  :oops:

Triple Zero

Quote from: Anonymously Evil on March 14, 2008, 04:26:21 PM
Quote from: Suu Fett on March 14, 2008, 03:56:24 PM
The correct answer here is french toast stuffed with banana, peanut butter, cinnamon, and maple syrup from the Alchemist.
fixt for troof.

Alchemist? stuffed with banana, peanutbutter and cinnamon?

recipe or description plz, i'm intrigued.

also, how do you stuff a french toast?

also also also you guys are crazy for putting chocolate chips on a pancake. you can't simply keep "improving" a recipe infinitely by just adding more sweet and fat stuff to it.

pancakes have a specific pancake aroma (coming mostly from the way the flour reacts and browns in the butter), which is what's making the fucking difference between waffles and pancakes in the first place.
if you just keep stacking chocalate, syrup, whipped cream (and bacon..?) on top of that, you're no longer adding to the flavour, you're drowning it.
you're fooling yourself by thinking moar=better and the more sweet and fat stuff you add to whatever will end you up with a "gooey mountain of fat sweet goodness", because it fucking isn't.

pancakes = good with cheese, bacon and/or syrup OR with jam (jelly?) OR with powdered sugar OR with some vanilla icecream and/or fresh fruit OR even chocolate if you must :roll:, BUT NOT ALL AT FUCKING ONCE :evilmad:

the more ingredients you pile on your food the harder it is to make sure the flavours don't get in eachothers way, but instead support eachother, combine or stay distinctive. if you do it wrong you're gonna end up with some big heap of "extra muscle mass" which only tastes good because you told your head it does.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

EmmaE

^
Ah, but I never said I was necessarily stacking anything. My brother makes a damn good batter with chocolate chips already in the mix.  On the rare occasions that he makes this, there'll be a little bit of whipped cream on top, but that's all.

And generally, I agree what you are saying, 000; on regular ole' pancakes, I just put a bit of syrup (usually maple, but your mileage may vary), and am content with that. I'm not a fan of piling things on.

But I make that bit of exception mentioned above with chocolate chip pancakes.

eta; A pancake with cheese? Really? Never tried that before.

Cain

Lemon juice and sugar on pancakes, cheese on waffles.  There can be no substitutes.

Triple Zero

Quote from: EmmaE on March 16, 2008, 05:08:44 PMeta; A pancake with cheese? Really? Never tried that before.

i wouldn't really try anything other than Gouda, but it's similar to what you'd do when baking an egg. bacon on the bottom, egg, cheese on top.

oh another variation on pancakes, but this is getting kind of out of the category of classical pancakes, is if you mix the batter with spinach (and some extra salt maybe) so you get green pancakes, then put some sour cream (possibly mixed with chives and black pepper) on the pancake and some slices of smoked salmon. then roll it up and enjoy.

smoked salmon approaches bacon in deliciousness, but is actually quite healthy (at least it's got those omega fats that are so good for you -- in moderation, like everything else). unfortunately it's also more expensive (at least, over here).
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: triple zero on March 16, 2008, 04:42:26 PM
also also also you guys are crazy for putting chocolate chips on a pancake. you can't simply keep "improving" a recipe infinitely by just adding more sweet and fat stuff to it.

pancakes have a specific pancake aroma (coming mostly from the way the flour reacts and browns in the butter), which is what's making the fucking difference between waffles and pancakes in the first place.
if you just keep stacking chocalate, syrup, whipped cream (and bacon..?) on top of that, you're no longer adding to the flavour, you're drowning it.
you're fooling yourself by thinking moar=better and the more sweet and fat stuff you add to whatever will end you up with a "gooey mountain of fat sweet goodness", because it fucking isn't.

pancakes = good with cheese, bacon and/or syrup OR with jam (jelly?) OR with powdered sugar OR with some vanilla icecream and/or fresh fruit OR even chocolate if you must :roll:, BUT NOT ALL AT FUCKING ONCE :evilmad:

the more ingredients you pile on your food the harder it is to make sure the flavours don't get in eachothers way, but instead support eachother, combine or stay distinctive. if you do it wrong you're gonna end up with some big heap of "extra muscle mass" which only tastes good because you told your head it does.

A: Pancake and waffle batter are usually incredibly similar, it's just that waffle batter has oil in it and pancake batter usually doesn't. YMMV.

B: You mix the chocolate chips into the batter, after which the pancake/waffle needs no additional anything, you just eat it the way it is hot off the griddle/iron. Or you can put some sliced bananas on them, which is also delicious.

C: You are talking about piling a whole bunch of crap on pancakes right after saying that we are crazy for putting a whole bunch of crap on pancakes.

Darth Cupcake

Nigel's point C is exactly what I was going to say.

Jeez Tripzip, just cause I enjoy a variety of things with my pancakes doesn't mean I want it all at once!

P.S. In order for you to experience the stuffed french toast from Alchemist, you're just going to have to come to Boston. :p
Be the trouble you want to see in the world.