News:

Remember, its all a sociological experiment.  "You are doing exactly as I planned. My god you are all so predictable."  Repeat until you believe it.

Main Menu

... study says at least 1 in 4 teen girls has sexually transmitted disease

Started by LHX, March 12, 2008, 03:47:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LHX

what are these scientists smoking?

http://www.medbroadcast.com/channel_health_news_details.asp?news_id=14697&rss=67&rid=999999&channel_id=2026&rot=3

if everybody has a disease, is it still a disease?

or is it just part of having a body?

i havent taken the time to formulate a point of view on the intimate tendencies of america
but
something about that 'study' and those 'findings' seem a bit ridiculous

sex was invented in the 1900s
neat hell

Thurnez Isa

dont worry
we'll teach them "absence"
that'll work
and wont give them a warped reality in reguards to sex
:lol:
Through me the way to the city of woe, Through me the way to everlasting pain, Through me the way among the lost.
Justice moved my maker on high.
Divine power made me, Wisdom supreme, and Primal love.
Before me nothing was but things eternal, and eternal I endure.
Abandon all hope, you who enter here.

Dante

Cain

Quote from: LHX on March 12, 2008, 03:47:00 AM
what are these scientists smoking?

http://www.medbroadcast.com/channel_health_news_details.asp?news_id=14697&rss=67&rid=999999&channel_id=2026&rot=3

if everybody has a disease, is it still a disease?

or is it just part of having a body?

Given that, according to the link, "A virus that causes cervical cancer is by far the most common sexually transmitted infection in teen girls aged 14 to 19", I think I'm going to go with disease.

Now normally, I'd say "meh" to a study like this.  I am of the opinion that  if you have all the facts about STDs and access to contraception and yet you willfully decide to ignore it, for whatever reason, then you should expect no sympathy at all.

However, I note the study took place in the USA and not somewhere like Canada, or Germany, where usually sex education is fairly decent, and access to contraceptives is not only freely available but also carries a low social stigma.  Now, I'll admit I'm no expert on the US education system, but from what I have read, it seems to be filled with "moralizing" busybodies, explicitly Christian or just Christian in values, who:

a) have forgotten what it is like to be a teenager
b) think sex is evil
c) think contraception is even more evil
d) think teenagers getting cervical cancer and dying is a lesser evil than the above two
e) hate America and apple pie (possibly)

who go around removing the sort of information that might lead to the more intelligent kids either making an informed choice or actually getting their hands on the contraception in the first place.

In which case, it is kind of hard to just dismiss them.

AFK

I think there are some mitigating environmental factors at play as well.  When I say environmental, I don't mean pollution, etc.  I mean the community environment. 

Teenagers, in general, are pre-disposed to risky behavior, it's a natural way they test boundaries.  One thing I've found in some of my research in Maine is that girls engaging in risky behaviors (drugs, alcohol, unprotected sex, etc.) seems to be increasing.  Not a lot, but compared to boys it is significant.  It's hard to draw any firm conclusions as to why this is happening, it could be just a cyclical thing that will eventually start going the other way.  However, if the government were to plunk down some dough for me to do additional study, I would do a statistical analysis of the rates of these sorts of behaviors against how many hours a week parents have to work.  Parental Monitoring has a HUGE impact upon these kinds of behaviors, and often times, parents can't or won't take the time to address them. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Triple Zero

:roflcake:   :digtbk:

and RWHN, i'm not saying that it's not happening (you of course know that better than me), but testing boundaries, okay, drugs, alcohol, sure, but i think it's a littlebit strange how you think "drugs alcohol unprotected sex" is somehow a logical progression.

btw, reading that article, i've never heard of this "papillomavirus/HPV" (which is the cervical cancer causing 18%), but it's interesting that chlamydia has such a low occurance (4%), because that's the most common STD over here.

oh and wikipedia sez: "Although some papillomavirus types can cause cancer in the epithelial tissues they inhabit, cancer is not a typical outcome of infection."
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

AFK

Uh, I didn't say it was a progression, I was listing SOME examples of risky behavior, thus the "etc". 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Thurnez Isa

STD's are Gods punishment for homosexuality, or secular science, or who ever we are hating on now
Through me the way to the city of woe, Through me the way to everlasting pain, Through me the way among the lost.
Justice moved my maker on high.
Divine power made me, Wisdom supreme, and Primal love.
Before me nothing was but things eternal, and eternal I endure.
Abandon all hope, you who enter here.

Dante

Darth Cupcake

Cain definitely rides the correct motorcycle, ITT.

Quote from: triple zero on March 12, 2008, 01:27:05 PM
btw, reading that article, i've never heard of this "papillomavirus/HPV" (which is the cervical cancer causing 18%), but it's interesting that chlamydia has such a low occurance (4%), because that's the most common STD over here.

HPV is what can occasionally cause genital warts. However, there's only a handful of strains (single digits, possibly even only two or three) that manifest as genital warts. Unless you get the kind that manifests as genital warts, MEN DO NOT GET ANY EFFECTS FROM HPV.

Therefore, you can have a couple (of any age) who are in a committed relationship and think neither of them have an STD, so the girl goes on the pill (or something) and they stop using a rubber. Turns out the guy is carrying HPV, girl goes to the gyno and gets an abnormal pap, she panics.

The majority of the strains of HPV are actually basically harmless, as I understand it. All they do is lead to some cell-mutation on the cervix. The majority of the time this means nothing, but it can in some instances lead to cancer. This is why it must be treated. However, last I heard, 1 in 4 people (male or female) contacting HPV in their lifetime is actually not at all unreasonable--many people get it and never even know, because their body clears it up on their own.

Also, at my last annual, my gyno told me that condoms do not necessarily prevent the transmission of HPV. I am not sure if I 100% buy that, but as soon as I get my check-up with my new doctor, you can bet that I'll be getting the vaccine. :p

ANYWAYS. That article has been being posted about on basically everything I read, so I haven't actually read it in-depth yet, so I will get back to you if things change once I've read the article.
Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Darth Cupcake is also on the correct motorcycle. Those numbers fit with other studies I've seen on HPV as well. The biggest issue (they think) is that not only are men usually just carriers, but HPV isn't picked up on the tests they run for men... So even if you do get regular testing, you don't necessarily know that you're infected.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Suu

D-Cup is also correct in saying that they usually clear up on their own. A woman's body chemistry is pretty neat that way. It's similar to a yeast infection. Although annoying, all you need is a good period to flush out your vag.  :mrgreen:

Also, you can get cervical cancer from regular tampon use, and don't necessarily have to be that sexually active. The fibers in some of those things are god awful to insert into your body, ladies. Never forget teh trusty maxi pad!
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Triple Zero

when i'm in a serious relationship and we wanna stop using condoms, it's not that big of a deal to wait a week to go to the doctors and get yourself tested, IMO. afterall, it's also nice to know for sure you're healthy, right?

and, if 18% of american girls have HPV, and they don't test for that on males, that's just dumb.

i got tested for aids, chlamydia and two others which i forgot about.

oh and i looked it up, HPV is genital warts? according to some site that's also the no.1 STD in NL. strange because i clearly seem to remember it used to be chlamydia, but i guess times change.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Darth Cupcake

TripZip, see above--HPV doesn't show up in tests in males, which is why they are currently working on adapting the vaccine to work on men as well.

One or two strains of HPV are genital warts, but there's several hundred kinds of HPV. And, as covered, particular with the genital warts strain, condoms often don't protect against it, so I believe it may be the #1 STD in many of the "developed" countries that protect well against gonorrhea, chlamydia, AIDS, etc.
Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

Suu

Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Richter

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Cain

Quote from: triple zero on March 12, 2008, 01:27:05 PM
oh and wikipedia sez: "Although some papillomavirus types can cause cancer in the epithelial tissues they inhabit, cancer is not a typical outcome of infection."

Oh, well thats perfectly alright then.

I'm off to shoot people in the arse with bullets.  Its OK, death isn't a typical outcome.