News:

PD.com: Living proof that just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Main Menu

... study says at least 1 in 4 teen girls has sexually transmitted disease

Started by LHX, March 12, 2008, 03:47:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faust

aids is on a huge rise here in ireland, I'm not proud of it but I was unprotected a couple of times with girls i had been going out for for a while, the last girl I was with was with about 3 different guys over the space of a couple of months, I made sure to be safe with her but it still freaked my the fuck out when i saw the figures for ireland so i got checked and fortunately alls clear.

they are saying that aids is as high as one in five guys in the gay community here too.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

LHX

i have given it much thought

and i still dont really know what to think

sexual tendencies are one issue

the widespread rise of illness in general is another separate but related issue

maybe immunity and intelligence are related
neat hell

Dysfunctional Cunt

Take a couple of things into consideration here ok....

HPV was just fairly recently put in the STD category.  When I was a teenager Herpes was the worst thing you had to worry about that didn't have a cure. 

Let us progress 20 (cough cough) 30 years.....

We now have AIDS, BV, LGV (a form of chlamydia), PID and HPV.  All of these have been added to the CDC's STD list in the last 30 years.  Of those PID is basically an infection, however, they now term it as an STD.

This article may be true as more and more is added to the list, simply because there are more STD's than there were 30 years ago, same diseases, new category!!

Jenne

Also, the more education there is out there PERIOD, the more the dialogue will turn towards protection of self rather than condemnation of behaviors.

Triple Zero

Quote from: Cain on March 12, 2008, 03:05:32 PM
Quote from: triple zero on March 12, 2008, 01:27:05 PMoh and wikipedia sez: "Although some papillomavirus types can cause cancer in the epithelial tissues they inhabit, cancer is not a typical outcome of infection."

Oh, well thats perfectly alright then.

I'm off to shoot people in the arse with bullets.  Its OK, death isn't a typical outcome.

point taken.

when i read that "something causes cancer", my first impulse is just to check how often it causes cancer.

Quote from: LHX on March 12, 2008, 03:54:13 PMsexual tendencies are one issue

the widespread rise of illness in general is another separate but related issue

what?

sorry but, what?

immunity and intelligence are related?

now i'm (nearly) certain you don't literally think this is the case, so what are you trying to say?
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Jenne

Quote from: triple zero on March 12, 2008, 05:20:38 PM

Quote from: LHX

what?

sorry but, what?

immunity and intelligence are related?

now i'm (nearly) certain you don't literally think this is the case, so what are you trying to say?

I took it to mean those who are educated/smart enough to get the vaccine or use protection will not get the disease...

But I'm not Lex, maybe he meant something else.

Fredfredly ⊂(◉‿◉)つ

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

OK, first off... the HPV vaccine has not been on the market in sufficient quantity for long enough to have protected ALL American teens.

Since they are teens, they need parental consent to get the vaccine... even if the teenager is smart, the parents may be moronic fundies or something.

1 in 4 girls have HPV by the time they are 18. By the end of college that increases to 1 in 3. By age 50, it is 1 in 2 women.

Men are twice as likely to be infected as women. Statistically, by age 50 EVERY MAN IN AMERICA carries at least one strain of HPV.

Most HPV does not lead to cervical cancer, but 70% of cervical cancer is caused by HPV.

(My best friend is an MPH working at OHSU, she comes in handy for these discussions.)

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Jenne

By those stats, the men get it more than women, and when women get it, it leads to potentially fatal diseases.

Nice.

I knew all this, it's just that reading it in that stark format really jars.

Darth Cupcake

:mittens:

Nigel's motorcycle is so correct that it shoots flames and has all sorts of fancy glowy lights and shit. It is upholstered in rich Corinthian bacon and is orange.

Quote from: Jenne on March 13, 2008, 03:28:32 AM
By those stats, the men get it more than women, and when women get it, it leads to potentially fatal diseases.

Pretty much!
Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

LMNO

Quote from: Jenne on March 13, 2008, 03:28:32 AM
By those stats, the men get it more than women, and when women get it, it sometimes leads to potentially fatal diseases.

Nice.

Fixxxed for pedantry.

LMNO

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson