News:

PD.Com: Pretention in a can.

Main Menu

Let me tell you why I did it

Started by Sepia, March 12, 2008, 08:56:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jenne

Yeah, I guess that's the point.  If you have those issues, you should probably either deal with them or not be around kids.  The occaisional thought about the perfect crime to me is not well a crime, or an indication of anything but an academic exercise.

Well, for me, anyway.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I was kind of talking about something different.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Sepia

Quote from: B_M_W on March 17, 2008, 01:28:48 AM
Quote from: Sepia on March 13, 2008, 02:11:46 AM
Which is kinda interesting as that thing have churned through my mind for quite some time now. It's an almost direct quote from a guy I know who used to work in a kindergarden. When he told me he meant and saw it like this, I was quite provoked and puzzled, but why do you hate it, if you don't mind me asking?

Because its basically gender steriotyping. We're not a fan.

If its true for alot of people, that is really sad. We know its not true for us, but then, neither of us are a man.

~KaimiAlana

Ah, I see and I agree. When writing, I found it to be the best option for relaying the story and the message in a way where one wouldn't really notice the sexes as I'm not a fan of these things myself. Switching the sexes merely around didn't quite work. Well, the message is still there, no matter what gender, race, age or whatnot you have.
Everyone will always be too late

Jenne

Quote from: Nigel on March 19, 2008, 08:20:49 PM

Well, damn.  Sorry.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Jenne on March 19, 2008, 10:45:58 PM

Well, damn.  Sorry.

That's all right. Tired. Had to nap.

I don't know if you were replying to me or to the general conversation in your previous post, but basically I was talking about postpartum OCD-type invasive thoughts, which are a whole different category from either fantasies. or intellectual exercises. When you mentioned musing about killing your husband/children, I recalled my postpartum experience. I just wanted to make clear that I've never had *fantasies* about killing my family. I dunno if you've had any experience with OCD, but there's this thing that can happen; take a bridge, for instance. Suppose that somehow, the clear and vivid mental image of driving off the bridge runs through your mind while you're crossing the bridge. Combined with that image is a feeling of needing to drive off the bridge. Now suppose that it happens every time you cross a bridge, to the point where you avoid crossing bridges because you become afraid that you might actually drive off one. Not because you want to.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Just wanted to say I really enjoyed this Sepia. You're a very talented writer.
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

Jenne

Quote from: Nigel on March 19, 2008, 11:22:40 PM
Quote from: Jenne on March 19, 2008, 10:45:58 PM

Well, damn.  Sorry.

That's all right. Tired. Had to nap.

I don't know if you were replying to me or to the general conversation in your previous post, but basically I was talking about postpartum OCD-type invasive thoughts, which are a whole different category from either fantasies. or intellectual exercises. When you mentioned musing about killing your husband/children, I recalled my postpartum experience. I just wanted to make clear that I've never had *fantasies* about killing my family. I dunno if you've had any experience with OCD, but there's this thing that can happen; take a bridge, for instance. Suppose that somehow, the clear and vivid mental image of driving off the bridge runs through your mind while you're crossing the bridge. Combined with that image is a feeling of needing to drive off the bridge. Now suppose that it happens every time you cross a bridge, to the point where you avoid crossing bridges because you become afraid that you might actually drive off one. Not because you want to.

Ok, yeah, that's totally different.  I mean, there are fantasies and there are OHSHIT moments.  I've heard of this disorder, and that was sort of what I was alluding to with the "issues" comment.

B_M_W

Quote from: Sepia on March 19, 2008, 10:19:46 PM
Quote from: B_M_W on March 17, 2008, 01:28:48 AM
Quote from: Sepia on March 13, 2008, 02:11:46 AM
Which is kinda interesting as that thing have churned through my mind for quite some time now. It's an almost direct quote from a guy I know who used to work in a kindergarden. When he told me he meant and saw it like this, I was quite provoked and puzzled, but why do you hate it, if you don't mind me asking?

Because its basically gender steriotyping. We're not a fan.

If its true for alot of people, that is really sad. We know its not true for us, but then, neither of us are a man.

~KaimiAlana

Ah, I see and I agree. When writing, I found it to be the best option for relaying the story and the message in a way where one wouldn't really notice the sexes as I'm not a fan of these things myself. Switching the sexes merely around didn't quite work. Well, the message is still there, no matter what gender, race, age or whatnot you have.

In that context, yes, it works, and yes, it fits.

We like your writing, as always.
One by one, we break the sheep from their Iron Bar Prisons and expand their imaginations, make them think for themselves. In turn, they break more from their prisons. Eventually, critical mass is reached. Our key word: Resolve. Evangelize with compassion and determination. And realize that there will be few in the beginning. We are hand picking our successors. They are the future of Discordianism. Let us guide our future with intelligence.

--Reverse Brainwashing: A Guide http://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php?topic=9801.0

6.5 billion Buddhas walking around.

99.xxxxxxx% forgot they are Buddha.

Reginald Ret

I dunno if you've had any experience with OCD, but there's this thing that can happen; take a bridge, for instance. Suppose that somehow, the clear and vivid mental image of driving off the bridge runs through your mind while you're crossing the bridge. Combined with that image is a feeling of needing to drive off the bridge. Now suppose that it happens every time you cross a bridge, to the point where you avoid crossing bridges because you become afraid that you might actually drive off one. Not because you want to.

I have this with heights and having an urge to jump/step off the edge. The feeling of not being able to trust yourself with your own safety isn't pleasant, but i imagine its horrible when others are involved. Maybe creating a cold unfeeling shadow-personality for yourself that you can trigger when you get into such a situation? ofcourse this technique requires that you have logical reasons to protect those around you at that time, seeing that emotions will not be a part of your OS at that time.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Regret on March 29, 2008, 02:23:29 AM

I dunno if you've had any experience with OCD, but there's this thing that can happen; take a bridge, for instance. Suppose that somehow, the clear and vivid mental image of driving off the bridge runs through your mind while you're crossing the bridge. Combined with that image is a feeling of needing to drive off the bridge. Now suppose that it happens every time you cross a bridge, to the point where you avoid crossing bridges because you become afraid that you might actually drive off one. Not because you want to.

I have this with heights and having an urge to jump/step off the edge. The feeling of not being able to trust yourself with your own safety isn't pleasant, but i imagine its horrible when others are involved. Maybe creating a cold unfeeling shadow-personality for yourself that you can trigger when you get into such a situation? ofcourse this technique requires that you have logical reasons to protect those around you at that time, seeing that emotions will not be a part of your OS at that time.

Yeah, it's an odd sensation. I tripped when I found out that my friend Cordelia the Enucleator has the exact same bridge issue.

The thing is, though, in 36 years I have yet to succumb to the impulse to drive off a bridge, so I'm probably safe. I do have some other OCD issues which are not nearly as alarming, but which every once in a while escalate to the point of warranting medication.